News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Best set-up for Harker's squad  (Read 2574 times)

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
Best set-up for Harker's squad
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:37:42 AM »
How should I optimize this squad and what tactics do you guys use with his squad? Was considering 2 flamers, heavy flamer, maybe demolitions.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Best set-up for Harker's squad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:25:01 AM »
I used my harker usually as a straight up hold an objective anti-infantry squad. 3 sniper rifles + 2 HBs. I thought about GL instead of sniper rifles but I preferred the additional range to the utility of the GL.

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:40 PM »
Arrr~
A heavy bolter and 3x Sniper Rifles is typical and highly effective against infantry.
A AutoCannon and 3x Sniper Rifles edges it out for anti-Monstrous Creature and anti-Transport.

Taking all weapons you can move and shoot isn't terrible either.
My Codex is in a closet downstairs, but taking a Heavy Flamer and a couple of Flamers would be good for anti-infantry+anti-cover work. Granted it "wastes" their high BS.

Harker's squad can have quite a few effective loadouts. But the Heavy Bolter and trip Sniper Rifles are classic and effective.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
I agree that almost all are effective.

As of lately I have been running him with triple plasma and have been inflitrating him on objectives. The plasma makes his unit have decent mid range firepower and they can deliver on the move.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
I agree that almost all are effective.

As of lately I have been running him with triple plasma and have been inflitrating him on objectives. The plasma makes his unit have decent mid range firepower and they can deliver on the move.

This is what I do.  ^

Put them on an objective in good cover and take advantage of their stealth saves. I use plasmas to insure against any naughty deepstrikers or anyone advancing towards my objective, with plasmas you can be fairly sure of causing damage to anyone who comes close.

I don't think I'd bother with sniper rifles unless I had a psyker battle squad, even then they seem like a bit of a poor choice. You can infiltrate this squad and they are made harder to kill by their improved cover saves, it just feels right to make them threatening.

I have to say I've had much more success digging in with this squad than I have taking them mobile. Of course, that's probably because of the build of my list.

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »
5 vet squads and CCS mounted in anti-horde valks. I want Harker's squad, I just wanna make sure it's not a points sink that will get smoked. What I'm understanding is he's quite effective as a stay in cover and lay down as much fire as possible? Now I gotta ask.....heavy bolter or autocannon as a second heavy weapon.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
If your running plasmas I would say autocannon so you have a str match. Otherwise I would go for dual heavy bolter if you want a heavy weapon. I have found they last longer if they do not have a heavy weapon. They can fit in a smaller place and 2 wounds wont get instakilled.

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
ah, you make a very good point, I suppose I don't need the extra firepower

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
If its a "Sit and Shoot" until, go for the second heavy weapon. The extra firepower I think is worth it. If you don't wanna draw too much attention and want it to be cheap, you might consider a Mortar. I usually recommend against taking single mortars but if you have a very specific purpose for it (and the squad its in) it can work out. Like if you wanted toput Harker's squad really far out of the way as more of a Terrain Denial unit, then Sniper Rifles and a Mortar would work quite well.

If its going to be operated at shorter ranges but still immobile, a Heavy Bolter or AutoCannon is fantastic.

If you want it to be mobile, then I'd grab a heavy flamer and any other two special weapons you can fire on the move.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Buggus

• To know life is to hold another...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 05:37:10 AM »
harker, 3x melta guns, demolitions, chimera.

Out flanking hard hitting unit.
The Daemonic leads to two crimes. You turn away from the path of righteousness and I just crapped a big one in the bowl again, anybody know the location for the scrubber. Hey brother bethel, wait come back i need the scrubber dammit. oh ya... you abandon the Emperor as the object of your Devotion. For the first, death is merely a just retribution. The second is Heresy so terrible that no punishment can be Sufficient. Dam, maybe I did find a sufficient punishment. swirly, ya...

Offline Jet

• Major
  • CuZ Ima BadBoy
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 05:04:50 PM »

Veteran squad 240
-3 grenade launchers 
-demolitionist 
-Sergeant Harker
-chimera
-extra armor

Outflanking you can fire 6 strength 6 shots & 3 strength 5 shots at some side armor. If anyone gets to close you have the demolition charge.
"True Kings never die"

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
I don't think you can deploy using "infiltraters" rules, including outflanking, if they're embarked in a transport. If you just want a super tough HB platform...

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
I am a fan of using 3 GL's myself and keeping them on the move.  I usually have harker's squad and a valk in reserve to outflank.  I have used harker's squad very effectively as either a harrassment unit or a forward objective taker/ contester. 

The 3 GL's give me a bit of flexibility and I have used their frag option to good extent to take out a hormaguant squad before. 

I have looked into other builds but I run a very mobile guard army with most of my nits mounted, by outflanking them i keep them off the board and I don't have to worry about them being the only fodder for anti-infantry weapons.  Even with their better cover save. 

The ability to move and be able to fire a heavy bolter and 3 gl's has worked very well for me.

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 01:30:41 AM »
Hadn't given much thought to grenade launchers, haven't even made guys with them, I'll build a couple and try it out.

Offline Buggus

• To know life is to hold another...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 06:36:23 AM »
Setting up terrian in a way that helps move the enemy towards the sides is one tactic. The other is setting up things in a way that help your opp decide to use the sides as well for fire lanes. This in turn allows Harker with his chimera to out flank and the astropath to reroll the sides.

The chimera is part of the unit under the outflanking rule.
The Daemonic leads to two crimes. You turn away from the path of righteousness and I just crapped a big one in the bowl again, anybody know the location for the scrubber. Hey brother bethel, wait come back i need the scrubber dammit. oh ya... you abandon the Emperor as the object of your Devotion. For the first, death is merely a just retribution. The second is Heresy so terrible that no punishment can be Sufficient. Dam, maybe I did find a sufficient punishment. swirly, ya...