News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A couple of new pieces  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Jesterspeed

• Mad mini painting mayhem
    • Jester's Miniature Studios
A couple of new pieces
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:28:40 PM »
Well, it's been awhile since I've done any 40K work, so I was very happy to get the green light to finish up the second Inquisitorial Sentinel.  It's the Forgeworld Eylsian Sentinel with a black/white/red paint scheme and a few additional bits for show.  I had done one back in early September, but the final one got put on hold until the end of December...

Inquisitorial Sentinel No. 2

Then in a bit of experimentation with some new MSP colors that just came out, I grabbed up this poor unsuspecting plastic Space Marine Champion and went to town with a varied color scheme to try out the new reds...

Crimson Knight

I doubt I'll use that scheme again... as I said it was more testing of the new paints than any true desire to come up with a new chapter paint scheme... but I was very happy with the Blood Red Triad from the Reaper MSPs.  About time I got a good set I can use consistently!   :D

Offline Captain Aurillien

• Captain
  • Infantry Captain
Re: A couple of new pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:40:23 PM »
I love it dude, esp the white, its really hard to get right and you did. Also kudos on the NMM, its awesome.
Captain of the Imperial Guard Infantry Companies.

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile.

Offline Esh

• Don't do things like everyone else
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 10:50:02 PM »
Fantastic is about all I can say, nice job

Offline Big Boss

• Thou shalt not suffer the fool to live.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:51:35 PM »
jeez, that's awesome.  The colors are applied so smoothly, and the nmm is great.  Can't wait to see more.  (nice job with the rest of the gallery too I see you're also an accomplished sculptor)
Space Marines: 2000 pts.
Eldar: 1000 pts.

Wood Elves: 3000 pts.

Offline Jesterspeed

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »
jeez, that's awesome.  The colors are applied so smoothly, and the nmm is great.  Can't wait to see more.  (nice job with the rest of the gallery too I see you're also an accomplished sculptor)

If you're referring to Magnusson, that sculpt was just my eighth completed/finished work in sculpting.  I'm still a long ways off on where I want to be...

The key to smooth is thinned paint... at least as far as I can tell...  ;)

Offline Captain Aurillien

• Captain
  • Infantry Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:43 PM »
Funny never heard that before ;)
Captain of the Imperial Guard Infantry Companies.

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile.

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 07:06:24 AM »
Nice work to tell the truth I'm not the fondest of the blood red triad color but other than that your work is awesome!
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Stam

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 07:24:44 AM »
Great work nicely painted, good colours.
love the sentinel.

Offline No Remorse

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 07:45:32 AM »
Damn Rob just stop it! Your making me look bad lol. I can't keep up to ya.

I love the scheme on the sentiel, did you do the white/steel with the airbrush? If so would you be willing to share your knowledge and tell me your recipes.

Did you use the MSP for the golds? They seem very Rackhamish, if you get my meaning. Unfortunately I just invested in a full set of Game colours and 3/4 of the models colours, so it won't be until next year I can convince my wife that 300+ bottles of paint just isn't enough anymore and I NEED to get the MSP line :D

Ja

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:04:25 AM »
Damn pics like that make my mini's look like a 2 year old attacked them with a painters brush. . .

I love the sentinel ^^. The colour scheme of the inquisition is quit rare these days because most ppl prefer to use their own colour schemes but yours look awsome.

Altough the crimson knight has a excelletn painting job I really don't like the scheme. But like you noted yourself you simply wanted to test the colours and I have to sy it worked out very well ^^.

Offline Jesterspeed

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:33:43 AM »
Damn Rob just stop it! Your making me look bad lol. I can't keep up to ya.

I love the scheme on the sentiel, did you do the white/steel with the airbrush? If so would you be willing to share your knowledge and tell me your recipes.

Did you use the MSP for the golds? They seem very Rackhamish, if you get my meaning. Unfortunately I just invested in a full set of Game colours and 3/4 of the models colours, so it won't be until next year I can convince my wife that 300+ bottles of paint just isn't enough anymore and I NEED to get the MSP line :D

Ja

For the airbrushed whites on the sentinel - and those were the front armor panels, engine hood, and light hood - it was done black, then light grey, then 50/50 light grey+white, then just white... This is pretty much the way I handle any "pure" white now.  If I need to handpaint it over a white primered mini, I just layer on a base of the Reaper MSP Misty Grey, do some shading with a thinned down Blue Black (custom) and then keep adding white to the Misty Grey until I get up to the pure white.  

As far as MSPs go, I really recommend you get yourself at least 9 of them to start with:  Stormy Grey, Cloudy Grey and Misty Grey for steel NMM, and Chestnut Gold, Palomino Gold and Buckskin Pale for gold NMM... add in Chestnut Brown for a darker base to the golds, and Pure Black/Pure White for additional highlighting shading... so that's not to bad.  Those are my "must haves" out of the MSP line.   :D  So, easier to convince about the recommended 9... LOL!  (If you'd like 10, get the Linen White as well...  ;)  )

I have gotten similar results to the MSP line using VMC Yellow Ochre (base) and VMC Ochre Brown (shadow), to highlight I add VMC Ivory to the Yellow Ochre and White as spots/edges.  If I need darker shadow, I've used VGC Beasty Brown or VMC Burnt Umber.  That's about as close as I've come to matching the MSP colorations...

Offline Although

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:07 AM »
I love that Sentinel, really great stuff!
BLOOD RUNS, ANGER RISES, DEATH WAKES, WAR CALLS!