News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau vs the Purge CSM diarama  (Read 6333 times)

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Tau vs the Purge CSM diarama
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:33:53 AM »
I'm starting a project in preparation for the Golden Daemon.  Hopefully it'll be placed in the Open Competition or 5 man.  I got until GamesDay L.A. to complete the project.  I'll continue to post pictures of my progress.

June 20, already finished pasting the individual plasti-card tiles onto the base.  As you can see, I've made 5 deep cuts so that those models could be used as a base whenever they need to be played in a game.

June 25th, took me 5 days to green stuff the marines because most of which requires drying before i add extra detail to the green stuff.  Also, I had some bits around to plastic glue onto.  A lot of the poses for the CSM legs are very so anti-dynamic.  Made me which they release sets in which legs are separate from the pelvic and torso.

July 4th, I never painted this color scheme before, so it took me a while to figure out what color combinations and mixes required to get the effect I wanted.  So far, it looks good, but I've realized my limitations of myself while doing so.  I've realized that I cannot do a "Golden Daemon" quality as I'm still learning and improving painting techniques.

July 21, I've been busy and it's been slow in progress as well.

August 2, modeling and fixing a lot of pieces of the champion tooked longer than I though.  I've also realized that the first two models I've made does not look as good as the last two, which is unfortunate.  I'm getting a hang of blends with black armours and non-metal-metal.

August 28, Tau Suit done.  To be honest, this vomit brown color scheme is harder than it actually looks.  I didn't realize it until I was painting it.

September 6th.  This base probably side tracked me for 3 months.  Now that it's completed, I could glue the other models onto it as a base.  Before painting, texturing is needed or else the plasticard is too flat to give a stone look.  To do so, I've pretty much bathed and coated 3 heavy coats of Testor's Dullcote.  Afterwards, I've done 3 light coats of the Dullcote.  There's probably a better method, but either I was lazy to look it up or trying to do things through improvisation.  Which is a better idea, I don't know.  Doesn't hurt to try.

The first picture is what it looked like with base coat and ink.  The stones were codex grey with black ink wash.  The blues are merely regal blue. 

On the second picture, it completed.  The stones were dry brushed from codex grey > Fortress grey > ghostly grey.  This gives a darker stone feeling and made me wish that I should have used a necron symbol instead of the eldar symbol.  The blues are blended with two watery coats from regal blue > ultramarine blue > ice blue > ice blue & white combination.

November 7th Project not dead yet.  I delayed it in order to get ready for graduation.  I truely do not like to work in small 1 hour a day batches because it usually kills my sense of color coordination and intended thoughts on the project.  I should be able to get it done by end of December.  Here's some of my preparation work.

December 21st.  Project is not dead yet.  I had to deal with my academics and emotions through my final semester of college.  On this day, I officially graduated with Bachelor of Science in Business Administration majoring in International Business and Management, including my minor degree in Japanese language.

December 23rd, latest update and nearly in completion.

Finish!

Please note that I'm no master painter, but I continue to improve and work hard on my skills to at least get honorable mentioned.

Lastly, in order to avoid spammage, I will continuely update this main thread for both of ease of view and simplification.  Please comment if you like.  Please bump at your own risk.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:46:41 PM by DJ-of-E »

Offline Arkion

Re: Golden Daemon Project: Tau vs the Purge CSM
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
I'm intrigued to see how this turns out.  I really like the idea of seeing the step-by-step of master painted models.  I might have to do something like this myself!

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
good luck DJ and I'll be watching your progress eagerly and where I can, comment, and give advice to.

I cant wait to see how this goes, your painting has come on so much recently

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:33 AM »
June 25th, took me 5 days to green stuff the marines because most of which requires drying before i add extra detail to the green stuff.  Also, I had some bits around to plastic glue onto.  A lot of the poses for the CSM legs are very so anti-dynamic.  Made me which they release sets in which legs are separate from the pelvic and torso.

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
hhhmmm. This seems kinda slick. I look forword to seeing more work.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Re: Tau vs the Purge CSM diarama
« Reply #5 on: July 4, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
July 4th, I never painted this color scheme before, so it took me a while to figure out what color combinations and mixes required to get the effect I wanted.  So far, it looks good, but I've realized my limitations of myself while doing so.  I've realized that I cannot do a "Golden Daemon" quality as I'm still learning and improving painting techniques.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: July 4, 2008, 07:27:47 AM »
they still look great though DJ... Infact I know alot of people who will say the best way to win a Golden Demon is to try techniques and aim to do things out of your ability because then you are constantly learning and you can pour out some amazing stuff because you are pushing yourself.

There is some superb blending on these models, particularly in the black armour, its so smooth, mind talking to me about how you did this??

Are you using NMM on these models, it looks pretty convincing so far, whats your colour recipie for it, and how have you done it?

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #7 on: July 4, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
Yes, I am using NMM techniques.  This is actually my second attempt at it, since it's pretty difficult to master.

The black armour was probably the most time consuming because not only do you blend up to codex grey, but you have also to blend down to keep the changes in color not so drastic.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #8 on: July 4, 2008, 07:35:46 AM »
So what colour pallete did you yuse for the gold NMM ive tried various colours but I havent found a colour set that works.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
So what colour pallete did you yuse for the gold NMM ive tried various colours but I havent found a colour set that works.

I've used a variant because I don't want ub3r gold gold on a theme that supposed to follow a darker plagued theme.

It's scorch brown as base.  Then the mix of scorch brown and vomit brown to bring it up, remember to thin a lot it down as it may take 2 or 3 coats.  Then Vomit Brown to bring up the highlight.  The final highlight should be a mix of Vomit Brown and Bad Moon Yellow, however Sunburst Yellow alone can also be used as well.

Now if you want more information regarding NMM techniques, use this link.

http://www.blackmoor.ca/articlesnmm.htm#Gold%20nmm

July 21, I've been busy and it's been slow in progress as well.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2008, 12:06:23 AM »
Sorry for double posting, the last post is considerably 2 weeks old.

August 2, modeling and fixing a lot of pieces of the champion tooked longer than I though.  I've also realized that the first two models I've made does not look as good as the last two, which is unfortunate.  I'm getting a hang of blends with black armours and non-metal-metal.

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
Looking good, keep up the good work!

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
Incredible.  Your painting skills are far above mine.  If you are not Golden Demon quality, you are so close that I can't tell.  Keep up the hard work and keep pushing to improve this entry and I believe you will have a very real shot at taking home a prize.

Good luck!
Solorg
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Arkion

« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
This is inspiring me to try black armor again.  Really good work, and I especially love the wounded Purge Marine.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:36:26 AM »
This project is expected to be finished in September, but will not be entered for GamesDay Los Angeles.  I'll just transfer it to next year in the same category.  I've just been busy as of late (marriages and celebrations, saying hello to old friends, preparing for graduation in 5 months, etc).  I'm working on it slowly, but just not fast enough for GamesDay.

I hope to see any one of you at GamesDay L.A.  I prob end up bringing 1500pts worth of sisters for a fun game, looking at Golden Daemon entries just observing and studying, or trying to rack as many bitz from the conversion activity.

August 28, Tau Suit done.  To be honest, this vomit brown color scheme is harder than it actually looks.  I didn't realize it until I was painting it.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »
nice and crisp. i look forward to seeing the things come together...

the wounded marine looks very nice, great converting.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
September 6th.  This base probably side tracked me for 3 months.  Now that it's completed, I could glue the other models onto it as a base.  Before painting, texturing is needed or else the plasticard is too flat to give a stone look.  To do so, I've pretty much bathed and coated 3 heavy coats of Testor's Dullcote.  Afterwards, I've done 3 light coats of the Dullcote.  There's probably a better method, but either I was lazy to look it up or trying to do things through improvisation.  Which is a better idea, I don't know.  Doesn't hurt to try.

The first picture is what it looked like with base coat and ink.  The stones were codex grey with black ink wash.  The blues are merely regal blue. 

On the second picture, it completed.  The stones were dry brushed from codex grey > Fortress grey > ghostly grey.  This gives a darker stone feeling and made me wish that I should have used a necron symbol instead of the eldar symbol.  The blues are blended with two watery coats from regal blue > ultramarine blue > ice blue > ice blue & white combination.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #17 on: November 7, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
November 7th Project not dead yet.  I delayed it in order to get ready for graduation.  I truely do not like to work in small 1 hour a day batches because it usually kills my sense of color coordination and intended thoughts on the project.  I should be able to get it done by end of December.  Here's some of my preparation work.

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
impressive.

It will look even more impressive when it's done.

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline forgotten hero

• Eldarweb.com admin!
    • www.eldarweb.com
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2008, 04:12:12 AM »
Looking good so far- cannot wait to see it finished!