News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scrapyard Build-Off - August Intake Now Open!  (Read 16468 times)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
Scrapyard Build-Off - August Intake Now Open!
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
SCRAPYARD BUILD-OFF

Welcome to the WotW - Green Menaces monthly Scrapyard Build-off!

How It Works
At the end of the month (a new thread will go up) if you have a model, unit or piece of terrain you want/need to *finish you simply make a post in this thread stating what needs finishing, and post a picture or pictures of the model or models you wish to enter. You then have a full month from the 1st to 31st within which to finish your entry.

How You Win
Every person who enters the Scrapyard Build-off will have their project judged for 'difficulty of completion' by one or more of the Boss Council & Nobz and an appropriate incentive (bribe *cough* bribe) in the way of Teef will be assigned to each entry.

Should you fail to finish and post pictures of your completed project at the end of the month you get nothing. Should you complete your project within the month you will get the full amount of Teef assigned to it. The more challenging your project, the more you stand to win.

A completed project will only count if it is built, painted, and if appropriate, based. A painted model must comprise of more than three (3) colours.

Do or Die!
Sometimes people like to bite off more than they can chew, and for those special people whose projects come to an estimated 25 Teef or more, we will allow, if they want to, to earn some additional Teef by making a wager that they will complete their project on time. This wager will be a set amount of Teef to be agreed upon with myself, one of Boss Council or Nobz. Once the amount is decided, you must post in the thread that you are waging that amount on the completion of your project.

Should you complete the project, you will get the original amount of Teef for completing your project, plus the additional Teef from your ‘Do or Die’ wager.

Should you fail… heaven forbid you do, not only will you not earn any Teef, Teef will be taken from your bank account equal to your ‘Do or Die’ wager. Ouch!

Reentering An Unfinished Project
If you fail to complete your project from the month or months before, and you wish to reenter it into the competition you must post updated photos and information on whatever changes you have made since initially entering the project. Failure to do so will mean you can't compete, and lying about what you have or have not done will not be tolerated.

In addition you will automatically lose a quarter of the Teef you would stand to gain from completing a reentered project; such is the price of laziness, do it proper first time or pay up.

* The Scrapyard Build-off is all about finishing models and projects, not necessarily starting new ones, so there is no need to spend large sums of money on new models to compete every month, just pull out those uncompleted projects I know everyone of us has.

JULY WINNERS
Athaga Mor's Gargant & Boomwagon get 19 Teef
Athaga Mor's 30 Kommandos get 22 Teef
Athaga Mor's Battlewagon, 10 Grots & Herda, & 12 Shootas get 25 Teef
Athaga Mor's 13 Stormboyz get 10 Teef: For a grand total of 76 Teef in one month.
Skeetergods's Fightabomba gets 17 Teef (you underconverted Skeet and so didnt qualify for the Do or Die in the end, so no Teef are won or lost).
Typhon's Battlewagon gets 14 Teef
OD from TV's 12 Killa Kans gets 93 Teef
Adamscurr's 8 Burnaz & 2 Trukks gets 13 Teef
Zognut's SB Fighta gets 13 Teef: This is being held in escrow until such time asyou finish painting it; your scratchbuild was just too good for you not to be rewarded for your work.

AUGUST COMPETITORS
« Last Edit: August 4, 2011, 01:56:50 AM by DropFall »

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off - August Intake Now Open!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »
Sweet!  So in light of wrapping up my unpainted portion of my army last month and because I have a massive mega-apocalypse-ish battle coming in Oct (no pts. cap) I'm going to focus on increasing my waaaggghh by as much as possible between now and then.  Increasing my overall points potential is good, but I'm also looking for strategic value.  With the gargant and my stompa, I'm feeling good about titans (well, another stompa would be great... but 'not now').  With the Boom Wagon and Battlewagon finished last month, I've got some armor (still a bit light).  On the flipside, given that we'll be playing on 15-20 tables, I'm seriously concerned with mobility... not just transports and bringing firepower to bear but also supporting my teammates.  To remedy this deficiency, I've put my attention on air superiority... especially given the grinder/reinforcement rules (simply, once destroyed, skip a turn and they come back... rearmed). 

My Thoughts:

-- fighta: good... but lowest in point value and lightest on firepower
-- fighta-bommer:  a step up from the basic fighta in firepower and value... but still comparatively simple to make
-- warkopta:  very appealing, but light on firepower and I lack the time and budget to fill them with appropriate troops atm.
-- bommer:  high point value and firepower is appealing however construction is a pretty big step up... at 1.5x the point value of fight-bommers I'm just not sure.
-- blasta bommer:  2x the value of the f-bommer, I'm very tempted and deff arsenals are.. *drool*  a bit concerned with construction again (I've looked at several blogs/threads out there)

Project:
Phase 1:  Fighta-Bommer Squadron (yes, I said squadron... *gulp*).  I'm going to make EIGHT of these things (based on what I should be able to get out of a sheet of foamcore).  I think I can approach this in a cookie-cutter fashion and create variations thru small changes/modifications to a template.  Building that gargant taught me a lot so I'm feeling confident... turrets and cockpits are the only thing giving me the jitters.  Goal is to have these painted as well.  --- I'd like to "Do or Die Wager" this project... need all the motivation I can get lol.

Items:
  • Foamcore
  • Plastic Card
  • Airplane Model Kit for Engines
  • Window Blinds (for plastic)
  • Tubing for Big Shootas
  • Glue, etc
  • Bitz

*Need to figure out how to arm these things (in terms of bomms).
  • Turret: tl-big shoota
  • 4 AA big shootas
  • Bomms, Burna Bomms, or Supa-Rokkits

Phase 2: (this is a loooooong shot) Build a Blasta Bommer.  hahaha
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:45:54 PM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline Zangolas

• Ork Boy
  • DO YOU her DA TuNNDaaaaaa
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
Well I don't think I'm going to match up to what Athaga Mor is painting/Building. I think he is just trying to make up all look bad when we only finish a squad up. :( In any case got my first box of Killa Kanz yesterday and I will be building them and painting them up hopefully if I find time and supplies I will try and make more then 3 but I'll start with 3. Athaga mor sound like you got a big project on the table for thsi month good luck.
BLU TUNNDDAA

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Ok after readin the July thread for an hour  8)

I'll join in this week.

I'll try to get 1 warboss and a unit of 10 boyz done.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
In one of my stubborn moments I stayed up and drew out my template (while watching The Goonies).  I should note I did some research on size before this thread went up so I had a pretty good idea for dimensions.  Here's a couple pics for a starting point.  Off to chill with some firends.  Might start cutting when I get back - if I don't pass out from lack of sleep.

I saw a thread out there about some guy building a blasta bommer and he made the superstructure by ribbing the hull as though installing bulkheads.  I think this will speed up the future process of applying plates (as opposed to building it exact like I did with the gargant).  NOT looking forward to rivets...ughh.  The bottom-right was my master sketch... everything else just multiplied out from there.  You can see where I intend to put bulkheads (which are all those little squares along the top).  I'm not worried about sturdiness; once the skin goes on it'll be hard as a rock.  The only thing not drawn on there is the tail uprights.. as those will vary from plane to plane... and the front intake vanes, which will be made from .80 plastic card (though I did make a rough bulkhead to go in behind the vanes to support them from behind).

Found this at a Hobbytown store.  I originally went looking for an A-10 or WWII German jet (a M-262) but they didn't have what I wanted or it was $50+ for the scale.  Luckily the owner was there, he plays 40k and knew what fighta-bommers were.  We stared at the selection for a while and then he grabbed this y-wing ($26).  Initial though was "hahaha...no"(especially when he grabbed a star trek model next) but after looking at the size of the model and it being snap-tite (minimal assembly) I thought it might work.  When I got home I found the engines were split in halves and the front cones, rear cones and extension bars are separate pieces.  So 4 will have exposed engine works.  And another 4 will have the cones installed (which I'll cut in half) and i'll just wrap plates around more of the fuselage length... which played into my plan of adding variations.  The extension bars are useful bitz and I'm already thinking the engine portion of the fuselage can be cut out for junkas/looted engine surfaces for future use.  I put yellow arrows in to point to the different engine sections I'm going to use on the fighta-bommers.

Seriously looking forward to this!   (And, no, I'm not trying to make anyone look bad.  I just refuse to lose to the humies and beakies in the upcoming battle and i'm tired of the iron warrior teammate laying down the majority of the dakka  My oct-thru-xmas freetime will be pretty nonexistent so it's now or never).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:14:35 PM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Well I don't think I'm going to match up to what Athaga Mor is painting/Building. I think he is just trying to make up all look bad when we only finish a squad up.
We all work at different paces, with varying levels of experience and skill.  There is no reason or need for comparing anyone's SBO projekt to another's, especially considering that certain people (like Athaga) could have such an insane project in order to get a Do or Die offer.  Good luck on the Kans Zangolas.

Zilverscale welcome to the SBO madness.  Let's all try to make this month even greater than last.

Athaga I am going to be watching your project very closely (and probably looting a great many ideas), as I've wanted to build a 40kscale version of an Airforce, although I'd focus more on Fightas with a couple Fighta Bombaz (modeled after the P61, my grandfather's plane in WW2).  Of course every Ork player who reads the rules for a Blasta Bomma wants one.

After the July SBO I'm not going to go quite so crazy.  After all this month I'm going to the StarTrek con, and start the next semester (7 units left to getting my BA and they are only offering 4 of what I need, I'm never gonna graduate!), so I need a smaller project.  Therefore I'm going to focus on another quazi recent uncompleted projekt, this one from early 2010, the prototype for a new style of scratchbuilt wagon with a Leman Russ base (extended chasis of course, and I already know that this model will not come anywhere close to meeting that 80% GW material, but I'm gonna do it anyway).  When I find my camera I'll grab a pic of where its at currently at (which of course means I won't be working on it until I find the bloody camera).

Looking forward to seeing everybody's hard work

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
new month what to do I have so much choices of projects to do.  let's see what is pressing at the moment right now  I have two more battlewagons I need to fix my warbuggys.  I need more trukks too plus there is bob the burna.   DARN YOU ORKS TOO MUCH DAKKA TOO LITTLE TIME. 

Ok what I need is.  Finish my nob with waaagh banner that is staring at me.  plus finish my green baron but there is nothing special for him just paint and make three rokkit warbuggies.  this should keep me busy.  OK one more if I'm doing the buggies I should do my half trakk too since they will be barrowing part from each other. 

Cheers and good luck to all. 

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2011, 03:19:11 AM »
Athaga I am going to be watching your project very closely (and probably looting a great many ideas), as I've wanted to build a 40kscale version of an Airforce, although I'd focus more on Fightas with a couple Fighta Bombaz (modeled after the P61, my grandfather's plane in WW2).  Of course every Ork player who reads the rules for a Blasta Bomma wants one.
~OD

Nice!  If you have questions about what I'm doing feel free to ask - hopefully I'll have an answer hur hur hur.  I'm going for roughly the FW shape/design but, as I stated before, cookie cutter production... probably less bulky around where the wing meets the fuselage and some variations. 

For some reason i woke up 5 hours before I was supposed to (completely awake... going to be a long day i guess).  Did a little chopping last night, going to go get some in before 'work'.  Fightas are pretty close in size to f-bommers so yeah this project could be applicable... fightas: a little shorter, a simpler tail, no turret and less hanging under the wings. :)  I think i've got cockpits figured out... supa-rokkit production is on my mind atm... thinking I might cast the basic shape and then just add bitz.  Just realized bases are going to run me $80 but I'm still under the cost on a single fighta-bommer from FW so I'll suck it up. ... off to chop
Athaga Mor

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2011, 03:39:13 AM »
I gotta use this month to catch up on my painting.   
So I am going to finish my kustom Dread and paint my 7 nob bikers.   That should keep me busy enough for now.  (not to mention ard boyz is this weekend)

7x Nob Bikers

Kustom Dread

« Last Edit: August 7, 2011, 02:54:42 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »
Okay, so I've started gluing the skeletons together.  I used regular white glue to do this (super glue melts the foam).  I've also lined the edges of the wings and tail section with white glue to protect the foam from melting when i prime these things later (spray paint also melts foam)... will do a second coat to be sure.  You can also see one of the engine cones tucked underneath (superglued) fits almost perfectly... a little wide as the fuselage tapers off but we're talking less than 5mm so this will get covered by plastic later.  There are a couple assembly holes in the engine for the extension bars - again, will be covered so I'm not worried.  You can see where I intend to do the cockpit.  The second gap being for the turret.  I cut the top layer of paper and about half the foam to create the bend on the wings... however i didn't fill these with glue; was afraid they'd dry at a stupid angle and I will be able to directly control their appearance when I add the skin to the wings anyway... so at the moment they flap like bird wings which is mildly comical in itself.

I tossed a track section in from a Sherman Tank model I hacked apart a couple weeks ago (kill tank tracks for later).  Basically I assembled the tracks, hacked the center third of the tank chassis off and then primed them black so I could think about them without going "that is the ugliest green ever".  Just something sitting on the back burner while the hamsters in my head draw up some blueprints.  I may tear off the actual tracks to make something a bit more sturdy once I get around to it.

btw, you will notice the bulkheads aren't perfectly uniform - this is an ork vehicle!  imo, if you're building orky don't sweat the details!  haha!  They're just there for basic support and to hold the first pieces of plastic, once I start gluing plastic together I don't really care about them much because the plastic/superglue will create a hard shell.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 05:16:37 AM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »
OK, I am in! Once upon a time after reading about the Rayvn70 death copta to rockit buggy conversion I went nuts with my dremel, and chopped up a bunch of death coptas. Weeeellllll, I cut up one too many, and never did find wheels for it. Therefore, I am going to finish that one death copta.

I am going to make him into a ghost rider model, with flames and all. What he will count as I will decide later, either a warboss or another green baron, not sure yet. Then I will have to figure out a cool name.

Ghost Rider Picture front
Ghost Rider Picture side

No pre pictures as I don't even know what parts I am going to use yet, just the main body of a death copta that has had the skids and rotors cut off. I will get some posted as I get some work done.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 02:04:47 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
Alrighty then...  I was debating finishing my skullhamma or myfighta bomber.  With so many excellent fighta bombas over he past couple of months, I went with the skullhamma to mix it up a bit.

I started this when apoc was coming out so that I would have a super heavy.  I've played with it a couple of times, but it time the paint job is complete.  I had a base coatof red over black primer.  Unfortunately, I've looted some things off it, so I will have to make a couple of repairs/upgrades! lol

Without further ado, "The Fist of Gork!!!"

Adam

Edit: Oh, and yes, the nob is giving you thefinger with his power klaw! lol
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 11:38:39 AM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
@adamscurr:  Now that is one awesome beast.   I have been debating turning a tank model I bought awhile ago (was going to use it for a BW model til they released one which it was too big for) into a custom battlefortress myself.   

That thing looks awesome very orky.

I will get some pics of my kustom dread up just got the skin done last month and base coated the metal.  All the nob bikers are just primed and one has his skin basecoated.

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
So I am going to finish my kustom Dread and paint my 7 nob bikers.   That should keep me busy enough for now.  (not to mention ard boyz is this weekend)

I would expect you to be very upset as the Ard boyz Preliminaries will be held on the 13th.

By the way, for those who don't know them, I found the scenario sheets at this link:

Ard Boyz Scenarios

IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »

I would expect you to be very upset as the Ard boyz Preliminaries will be held on the 13th.
Well that's off topic, but since we are on the subject, there are several places that are actually holding their Ard Boyz prelims on the 6th and not on the 13th.  I think its obvious that AoD is going to one of the shops that's holding it early.

Now back to the topic at hand, which of course is the glorious SBO.  Unfortunately since I still can't find my camera (and various other things, which makes me think my previous roommate made a duplicate key and came back to lift stuff), I thought I'd write a description of where I am at (really need to find that camera, photos tell such a better story).

At present I have 1/5th of the right side track assembled, needs adjoining exterior side armor, track bed, tracks, armor plates
Left side needs everything the right side needs + interior side
Front plate & ram spikes
Big shoota mounts
Lower truck bed
removable Ard Top
glyphwork?
Rivits

On a related note adamscurr that Fist of Gork looks perfect to me!  Maybe its just this bad computer's screen, but it looks like the jobz a good un and it looks complete already.
Skeetergod you have just given me a great idea for an Orky competition.  Good luck on da Ghostrider, look forward to seeing that.
Athaga there are so many many questions I want to ask, but I'll be brief and just say that you're doing great so far.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
here is a starting pic of my projects

first my green baron plus is it wrong to paint him green

next my nob who is stealing a little spot light in the baron pic

finally the pile of bits for my buggies and half trakk

@ adamscurr sweet I can't wait to see it painted

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
OD hit the nail on the head.    My LGS store and the other store I go to for GT's about an hour away both are hosting it on 8/6.  Why they are doing this, which I found odd for one store, after I called the second and they were also having it on the 6th I was like wtf.   I requested off for the 13th months ago so I would be able to go.  Looks like I will just have an extra saturday off.   Luckily I already have the 6th off so it isn't such an issue.  Now I just gotta decide if I want to stay local or go for even more competative and drive a bit. 

I dunno why FL is a bit off base with the rest of the world (probably because we don't have any official GW stores in the state).  But nothing seems to be well organized down here or run on any type of schedule.  FL has their own schedule for everything I am afraid...  sigh.

OD i was almost expecting to see a crap ton of dreads this month for your IA 8 list.  Especially after your impressive performance last month with the kans.

Between you and Athaga Mor you were both completing armies instead of projects.  I thought there was maybe a speedy army build off side bet going on between the two of you.   

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
@adam -- great gork! thats an impressive looking skullhamma.

@aod -- well 8x fbommers is 1300 points...thats an army.  but with that said, i think my plate is full enough without racing OD on painting projects :) LOL
Athaga Mor

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the commentary on the Fist of Gork...  It's far from done though, as someone mentioned...  It needs some serious painting.  It is only dry brushed red now...  But it should get done.  The building, riveting, and dry brushing is the longest part! lol

@Agatha:  I'm really interested to see what you are going to do with this build...  It's very ambitious, but hey, you seem to be into beg projects! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #19 on: August 1, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
Holy Crap, Typhon, is he sculpted? That's a great job!

@Adam, your work amazes me to end, bro I'll quote Skeeter here by saying "why didn't I think of that first"

So I failed the last 2 months with my Thunderdome, I work 10 hours outside and have been left completely drained and with all the commission work I have I've been left really no time to work on my own stuff, but I think I can squeeze in my "Nob Star" unit. 10 Nobz loaded out for wound allocation and I think I can get in my Big Mek with KFF, he's the new finecast and I'm not happy with it at all, but he's light so fits in with the rest of the plastic stuff.

I'll post pics soon

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting