News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need Help Night Lords Paint scheme  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Natakue

• The Lai-ren Craftworld
Need Help Night Lords Paint scheme
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »
I am starting a night lords army and I want a different color scheme then the normal dark blue. I don't want to do the lighting as well,my first Idea was to do greens but then I thought that it would look to much like the death guard. So now I have no clue. Any ideas? I'm doing a vampire theme army and was looking into new ideas. Thanks for any help.

Natakue
Natakue
"It's all about the Fur and Feathers baby!"
Hammer and Anvil Studios

Offline Slann

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Need Help Night Lords Paint scheme
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:47:51 AM »
I saw some cool necrons once, they were painted black then highlighted with blues on the most outstanding areas and then coated with a blue ink wash, looked pretty cool.

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 06:59:56 AM »
Your main problem is that they're going to need to be predominantly blue to fulfill the fussy GW dogma.

You can vary away a lot, but still need a lot of dark blue.

Why not try something akin to the crimson fists?

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 08:27:16 AM »
Mix some black into the Regal Blue as well as blue ink (hella dark) to give it a dark blue semi shiny colour. This way it satisfies dogma and gives them a unique colour. From there you can highlight again with a lighter shade of blue for the extreme highlights.

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Hellboy

• You're unique, just like everyone else.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:01:17 AM »
i had the exact same problem when i started my night lords. unfortunately you cant use other colours because that would be like changing the colours on an army cap badge (which would be classed as heresy in the british army!).

so what i done was used an old pot of regal blue (im not sure if they still do this colour) and mixed in a bit of black to make it darker, i kept the gold and gave it a very thin coat of flesh wash and wiped away the excess.

if you wint them to look even darker then you can buy a really fine tipped marker pen and go round where the gold touches the blue.

to highlight i used ice blue.

hope this helps.
First come the smiles.

Then lies,

Last is gunfire.

(Roland Deschain of Gilead - The Dark Tower)

Offline Natakue

• The Lai-ren Craftworld
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:45:29 AM »
This helps alot. So you are telling me that If I use the Night lords list that the army has to be blue? That if I enter a GW game they wont let me play unless it is blue? I wanted to stay away form the blue. But if I have to I guess I will.

Natakue
Natakue
Hammer and Anvil Studios

Offline Nathalus

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
posted by hellboy:
i had the exact same problem when i started my night lords. unfortunately you cant use other colours because that would be like changing the colours on an army cap badge (which would be classed as heresy in the british army!).

Err-rm, you can paint your army any color you like last I checked(unles someone at GW is being a d!@k), as long as you tell you opponent that you're using whatever rules(ie..Night Lords).Other wise whats the point in collecting or playing if everyone has carbon copy forces(looks anyway).

Natakue:If you want to go with greens for your force, here is what I'd suggest. Black undercoat, highlighted with Dark Angels Green(or what equivalent you use if not Citadel colours), then a highlight of Snot Green, it'll look "Dark Angel-ish", so you should make sure that you highlight in such a way that the greens are just visible. That way you keep the Chaos feel, heck, you could even still use the Brass/Gold trim that Night Lords typically have. I think that would look pretty kewl( then again, it is my advice ;D)

Edit: And heck, if the GW store won't let you play as Green Night Lords if you want(as long as you're not breaking any rules), then play at your LGS, unless you don't have one, then that pretty much sux. But seriously, as a former GW store employee, we really could'nt have cared less about what color you army was, if you said they were Night Lords, then you had better use Night Lords rules is all.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 09:54:23 AM by exarch nathalus »
The Eldar Aspect Template Project:check it out
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=105763.new#new

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:58:46 AM »
Maybe even go with a darkened purple for the armour. I've always like a nice dark purple as it's not used by too many people. Post your ideas for the armour and any highlighting questions you may have. Like exarch said, it doesn't matter if you made them neon orange as long as you abide by the rules of whatever army you choose to make them.

On another note, I think the purple would be a cool vampirish colour if done dark enough.

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Nathalus

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 10:02:53 AM »
I agree with Bro. Asreus, vampires and purple just go to gether. Maybe black highlighted to dark purple.

Offline Natakue

• The Lai-ren Craftworld
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:41 AM »
You know your right purple does sound evil. I wont get most of my figues till christmas any ways so I will take a few and paint them one with greens and one with purples and see what style I like better. Thanks for all the help.
Natakue
Hammer and Anvil Studios

Offline Hellboy

• You're unique, just like everyone else.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 12:04:25 PM »
i know im probably splitting hairs here but if what everyone is saying is right, i could make a bright pink space wolves army, or even a blood red ultramarines army?

i really dont mean to be anal about this whole subject, and my examples are totally different from the chapters original colours, but do you see my point?

whatever happens it would be interesting to see the final result.
First come the smiles.

Then lies,

Last is gunfire.

(Roland Deschain of Gilead - The Dark Tower)

Offline Nathalus

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »
hellboy: You are correct sir!(imitates Ed McMahon ;D)
You can paint your(key word) army any color you like, dude. I play a guy who just for amphetamine parakeetz and giggles painted his Black legion white, and they actually look pretty good.

Edit: Hey mods, nice work with the replacement word thingy for colorful language, sorry bout that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 01:41:29 PM by exarch nathalus »

Offline President Stewie

• Damn you you vile harpy!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 01:47:02 PM »
I don't think anyone is trying to say you can have a bright red ultramarines army. I think the essence is you have a new chapter which uses the same rules as Ultramarines but you may have to rename the special characters (and probably avoid the chapter iconography).

But seriously though, paint them what you like. As Exarch Natalus said, we don't want lots of armies all painted the same way. Although I think there should be some restriction on use of special rules. Last thing we need is players suddenly deciding to play by Black Templar rules whenever they're facing eldar with Brightlances so they can take advantage of the blessed hull thingy.

D.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Go here and join, it's great!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mini_Painting/

Kids, here's a little message from your Uncle Billy. Don't buy drugs ....... become a rock star and they give you them for free!!!

Offline Nathalus

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 02:02:45 PM »
I agree, there probably should be some restriction on special rules. Although, I don't have a problem with it myself, I can see how someone else would. As long as a person isn't trying to combine two sets of rules on me I'm cool with a SM player doing as Doc Fruitloop! said above, just makes me think thats he's either a)Afraid of my army, or b)Mayor McCheese. But anyway, sorry to drift from the topic, I'll stop now.
Natakue:If you can, post some pics for us once you've done your test colors.

Offline Natakue

• The Lai-ren Craftworld
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 02:16:41 PM »

Natakue:If you can, post some pics for us once you've done your test colors.

Np will do like I said I wont get my figures till christmas then i will do a few test models. And I will show you what I got. :)
Natakue
Hammer and Anvil Studios