News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help with annoying computer problem  (Read 688 times)

Offline Tauir - "The Shadow"

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
Help with annoying computer problem
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
Hey there, I need some help.

I have a computer problem that needs work. Every so often a window will open up saying "Alert! You're computer has viruses, run our program to cure them (not verbatim, but basically that)." Along with that, internet explorer would open up periodically and lead me to false scam sights.

The second problem is found to be caused by random www websites (confirmed by AVG and a homemade "finder" program) which leads me to believe that it is a Trojan, and a crappy one at that.

The 1st problem is much harder to pin down. I've run AVG scans across my system, but whenever I successfully detect the 1st problem problem (through scans or when a window pops up shortly after the false alert sign telling me I have an infection), it says the program is "white-listed" (Windows/System32/usersetup.int or something like that) and can't be touched because it's a vital system configuration file.

Any help? I'd like to try to get both of these viruses off my system without wiping the hard drive...
Whoa there.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
Re: Help with annoying computer problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
get a firewall, and run a virus scan (try f-secure, they're a real company, and have a free trial scan they do online- although it 'll have trouble running if you have Vista), find some way of blocking more of those cookies (usually found in IE>tools>internet options>goof around from here, you'll find it ;)), as that "you have viruses" crap is just a cookie trying to get you to their site so they might disembowel your computer.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »
Thanks for the fast response.

Keep em coming, I need help!
Whoa there.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
While the first problem is really just a matter of increasing your security rating (or whatever its called); IE > tools > internet options > security > raise to medium high(?).

Now you need to describe the second problem in more detail.

*whatever you do be very careful when deleting some of those system config files in those "white areas" (of which I have no idea as to what you are referring...), do a lot of research into this mystery file; truthfully I almost always find what I'm looking for by typing "what is [insert file name] used for?" at google (eat that complex boolean searches, ha ha!)
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
I tried bopping up my internet security level. Didn't work too well.

Any other things I can change?

Thanks for all the help
Whoa there.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
I'm a big fan of Spybot search and destroy. I run a combination of Bit-Defender and the aforementioned program. Spybot is VERY through and a bit technical though.

Offline amimmortal

• "Kill! Maim! Burn! Kill! Maim! Burn!..."
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »
Download and install AdAware (free version) from Lavasoft.

It should isolate the programs and any entries in your registry and remove them.

Cheers,
A.

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
Okay, turned out the warning from my AVG was actually it conflicting with my Ad-Aware and F-Secure. What an idiot program... I was nearly ready to wipe my hard drive.

The internet window still pops up. I've run F-Secure, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and AVG "Smart" Scans, and only removed weird cookies. Think I should start running full scans?

Thanks for all the helps guys
Whoa there.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »
I would run either Adware OR spybot. Those two programs tend to step on each other's toes. I would do a full system scan with adware/spybot fulled by a deep system anti-virus scan. From what you described, the pop up windows sound like some mal-ware advertising type crud.