News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pts Themed Id Drop List.  (Read 946 times)

Offline ghostwalker

• IA: Fists of Dorn
1500pts Themed Id Drop List.
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
 Hi all,
Below is my somewhat revised drop troop list. It is largely influenced by the D-Day glider landings at Pegasus Bridge. The general i dea is for the command platoon and veterans to drop in using the improved comms of the basilisk to help.
One of the infantry platoons could also be upgraded to drop but that is down to the game in fun games or in a tournament i would probably take one as drop.
A little info is probably needed regarding the doctrines as they appear to be largely out of sync with the list.
Light Infantry- is listed but not used. This is pure fluff, the glider force on d-day was from a light infantry regiment and as such i wanted the doctrine.

Close Order Drill- is to provide a slightly better assault chance into the list. It also represents the idea that the force is being tasked to take and hold an objective at all costs. Much like the men of the 6th Airbourne division on d-day who were asked to hold the bridges until relieved. They were disciplined and trained to do that, no matter what and knew that they were on their own until the Lord Lovats commandoes arrived.

As to the fluff of the Basilisk.....well one of 2 reasons can be applied...either that of a tank arriving to support the forces as relief pours in or- for pure manic fluff- when pegasus bridge was capture a german 88 emplacement was taken intact, this was used over the course of the day to fend of tanks and at one point to fire on a building that was thought to be a point used by snipers...

The improve comms allows the drop troops to hopefully be brought down a bit more helpfully.

The sentinels can snipe anything big or tankish.

camo nets are obviously incase the priority roll fails me or if i dont have 1st turn los.

Doctrines
Allow Special Weapon Squads
Regimental Organisation: Drop Troops
Skills and Drills: Light Infantry
Skills and Drills: Veterans
Skills and Drillls: Close Order Drill

HQ

Command Platoon (HQ)=213

Command Squad (Drop Troopers)

Junior Officer
Close combat Weapon; Storm Bolter.
Plasma Gun (x3)
Veteran
Close combat Weapon; Bolter; Medic.

Special Weapons Teams #1
Lasguns (x3); Flamer (x2); Demolition Charge.

Special Weapons Teams #2
Lasguns (x3); Flamer (x2); Demolition Charge.

ELITES=152

4 Hardened Veterans (Elites) (Drop Troopers)
Lasguns (x1); Meltagun (x3)
Hardened Veteran Sergeant
Close combat Weapon; Bolter.

4 Hardened Veterans (Elites) (Drop Troopers)
Lasguns (x1); Meltagun (x3)
Hardened Veteran Sergeant
Close combat Weapon; Bolter.

TROOPS

Infantry Platoon #1=441.

Command Squad
Plasma guns (x3)
Junior Officer
Close combat Weapon; Bolter
Veteran
Close combat Weapon; Laspistol; Medic.

Infantry Squad #1
Autocannon; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher
Veteran Sergeant; Lasgun.

Infantry Squad #2
Missile Launcher; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher;
Veteran Seargeant; Lasgun.

Infantry Squad #3
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad #4
Lascannon; Lasguns (x7); Flamer;

Infantry Platoon #2=441

Command Squad
Plasma guns (x3)
Junior Officer
Close combat Weapon; Bolter
Veteran
Close combat Weapon; Laspistol; Medic.

Infantry Squad #1
Missile Launcher; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher;

Infantry Squad #2
Autocannon; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad #3
Lascannon; Lasguns (x7); Flamer;

Infantry Squad #4
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns (x7); Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack= 112 points

Sentinel #1
Lascannon, Camo Netting.

Sentinel #2
Lascannon, Camo Netting.

Heavy Support= 141 points

Basilisk,
Earth Shaker Cannon, Hull Mounted Heavy bolter, Camo Netting, Armoured Crew Compartment, Improved comms.

Models in Army: 117 Infantry.
1 tank.
2 walker.
Total Army Cost: 1500.

Well i hope that all makes sense, please feel free to critique and comment. But please remember this list is fairly themed and so the doctrines are nailed down permanently.
If your unaware of the aforementioned D-Day operations at Pegasus Bridge then feel free to either pm me or use wiki which has a pretty good overview of the operation.

Mini ProfilePMEmail

Offline Mr Bate

Re: 1500pts Themed Id Drop List.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »
OK well let me start off this post with saying that drop troops are one hit wonders, trust me I used a plasma spam droptroop list which I found out really sucks at killing necrons, SM's, Tyranids (ok I did kill all the TMC's but at the end of the game the smaller bugs just ate me alive) and pretty much any army they were designed to face.

Lucky for you though I have some experience in the matter which I am willing to share with you.

1) If you drop the special weapons squads you will have enough points to give one platoon LI which would help you a ton seeing as deepstrinking your entire army would just be suicide. Plus it would allow you to upgrade the missile launchers to lascannons or if you would like allow you to get another lascannon sentinel with a little loosing somewhere else. You could even justify this by saying that the men landed first and got into position to attack. This also gives you that advantage of countering everything your opponent sets up.

2) Cammo netting does not do what you think it does, read its entry on page 36 again and you will see what I'm talking about.

3) There is absolutely no point in giving your bassy an armoured crew compartmen as  taking indirect fire would help you so much better as you can hide it behind some size 3 area terrain and just shell your opponents from a far.

4) Heavy weapons on droptroops tends not to work very well as you cannot fire them the first turn you drop in and seeing as the opponent will not have too many targets its likely that your squads will be swamped or dead by the time they can fire them so just save the points and invest it somewhere else. If you took my advice form #1 then you can have one line of static guardsmen defending objectives while your droptroops clog up lines so that your opponent can't attack the objectives.

5) Never put flamers with Lascannons as they have completely different roles. The flamer is there for short range assaulting and the lascannons is a long range anti tank gun so as you can see they don't mix well.

Now let me advise you on the way that I would play this, this is not the law its just something that will help you play.

*Don't drop your entire army in any game, its just a way of getting your men into assault range of your opponent of loosing them to bad scatter rolls.

*If you took my advice and gave one platoon LI you could take objectives and then have your droptroops drop in on places that need help.

*The veterans will have to drop near tanks an the likes but I suppose you already got that idea so onto the next point.

*Use your sentinels scout move to make a fool out of your opponent as they will deploy some kind of counter messure against them.

*Don't take too big risks with your droptroops as loosing a platoon to bad scatter rolls or just having them never arrive wastes points.

*You could also use your infiltrating troops to capture objectives while you keep your opponent busy with the drop troopers this would ensure a difficult game for your opponent.

other than this just enjoy playing your army hey thats all I can say.
Yeah here in South Africa we have a weird sect who think that finding a girl outside of the family is for thieves so they marry in the family... Only in the South  :P
Have you ever noticed how everyone on Potchefstroom look the same? :)