News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pts Signifigant Diversion  (Read 621 times)

Offline Stormtrooper of the Dominion

• Staring up at heaven through the bottom of a glass
1500 pts Signifigant Diversion
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »
Greetings.

I've decided to try out the build your own chapter concept and have built myself an Imperial Fists successor chapter. Basic idea is they've suffered a massive setback in resources by a catastrophic event (i'm thinking warp storm) and are limited in number (i.e - 3500... I should at this point say I am one of the firm believers that marine chapters are 10,000, or possibly 100,000 men, not the codex 1000 which just seems far to improbable). They prefer fighting face to face even with their low numbers and their "Veterans" tend to be assault squads, also because of the dwindling numbers they have a higher amount of apothecaries who watch over the warriors and heal them as to not dwindle their numbers anymore. A council of 3 Chaplains, 3 Masters and 3 Librarians run the chapter until a suitable Headmaster can be chosen.

We all know I'm not a noobie by now but just like comments ;)

But anyways heres the list:

Chapter Traits
Fierce (Blessed Be the Warriors)
Pious (Purity Above All)

Major Disadvantage
Eye to Eye

Minor Disadvantage
Faithful Unto Death

HQ
Master of Sanctity with Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, Frags - 122 pts

Elites
Assault Squad with Furious Charge - 240 pts
- 7 + Veteran Sergeant (BP + PF), 2 PP

Troops
Tactical Marines - 211 pts
- 7 + Veteran Sergeant (BP + PW), PR
- Drop Pod

Tactical Marines - 211 pts
- 7 + Veteran Sergeant (BP + PW), PR
- Drop Pod

Scout Squad - 90 pts
- 5 Sniper Rifles

Fast Attack
Assault Marines - 216 pts
- 7 + Veteran Sergeant (BP + PF), 2 PP

Attack Bike Squadron - 100 pts
- 2 HB's

Heavy Support
Devestator Squad - 200 pts
- 2 LC, 2 ML, 2 "ablative wounds"

Predator Destructor - 100 pts
- Turret AC, 2 HB sponsons

Totals
Points - 1500
Models - 49

Roster Notes
I tried to keep this list as fluffy as posible and would probably score well on any tournament composition as it is well rounded. I'm not a big fan of the scout squad but I like the higher model count. Attack bikes were slected over land speeders due to the extra firepower from the bike mounted Bolters and riders guns.  I went with the predator destructor because it has the Autocannon to punch tanks, and the HB to help with crowd control. The Assault Squads are meant to be different and hopefully the Plasma Pistols will supply enough anti-tank.  The premise of my strategy would be to remain in cover and whittle down the forces with combination sniper, heavy bolter and devy fire.

I come from a Space Wolf backround I prefer the honourable close combat and I don't have much patience for sit and shoot.

Comments? Criticism?

Edited to remove what the traits do
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 10:49:19 PM by sendinthetanks »
"Yes, something invulnerable, unburiable is within me, something that rends rocks: It is called MY WILL.  Silently its steps and unchanging through the years." - Fredrich Nietzsche from "The Funeral Song"

"Thunder Wolves" - 4000 pts

Offline Aervyper Venom

• Neophyte
  • Jade Reavers
Re: 1500 pts Signifigant Diversion
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
First off just a heads up. A mod is probably gonna tell you not to list what each trait does as it violates GW copywrite.

This list will score well for army composition. So if you are going for that ascpect then you definately have succeeded.

I don't know if i'd drop pod your troop selections in. If you do then i think you really should have a power fist vet sgt just for safety sake.

I don't know if you got enough sniper rifles to be effective. It definately is 90 points that if you feel you need somewhere else you can move it around.

People will complain about mixing devestator HW choices. I really don't see it being that big of a deal going the way you do. I actually have special dice when i do this so i don't ever forget what's what.  This is another place that if you find yourself lacking somewhere else you can make it a staight up 4 bolter 4 missile launcher squad.

I think you got a good army. I however feel that a quick army might pick you apart as you got a tank and a devestator squad as your firebase, with everything else rushing ahead. I just think it might be a waste for you to have to land a drop pod near your devestators / tanks to save them.

Bottom line i think you could easily field a 3rd tactical squad  the question is do you want to.

As always this is only suggestions.

Armies:
-Space Marines: Jade Reavers
- Imperial Guard: Catachan 221
- Eldar
- Orks
- Aervyper Venom

Offline Erin

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
I like it, it kinda reminds me of my army('cept we are getting our butts kicked by chaos... :'( )

One question tho, what's the name/color scheme of your chapter?
Live fast, Die messy.
                  -Dark Eldar Proverb

Bad Space Wolf! No Humping!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb
deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb"
-Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
I like it, it kinda reminds me of my army('cept we are getting our butts kicked by chaos... Cry )

One question tho, what's the name/color scheme of your chapter?

Well if you want any help with some strategy feel free to throw me a message and i'll help you out.

I'm not sure about the name of the chapter yet, I want something thats not so, well bland.  It'll come to me eventually.
Paint scheme wise I'm thinking Liche Purple, Regal Blue and mithril silver.  I'd use the purple for the majority of the body, silver for the knee and elbow pads, also for the lining on the shoulder pads.  The helmets in Regal Blue.  For the assault squads I will probably go with the red for helmets and an outline of the intake manafolds of the jet packs (much like i do with my Blood Claw Jump Pack squads), giving the elites a colour of their own (thinking maybe orange or red).

I pretty much came up with this idea saturday and am pricing it out so a lot of the ideas are still at a ground work level.

I think you got a good army. I however feel that a quick army might pick you apart as you got a tank and a devestator squad as your firebase, with everything else rushing ahead. I just think it might be a waste for you to have to land a drop pod near your devestators / tanks to save them.

This is my biggest fear but also what excites me the most about this army!  With the limited FOC it definately forces me to pick and choose and in the end I decided that if I set up my firebase properly it shouldn't be an issue.  The reason I went with the tank over another devestator squad as it lets me move and shoot to keep up with those shifty buggers.  I do wish that I didn't have to rely on static heavy hitters like the devestators but hopefully I will be able to overcome that by a "herding" tactic

Bottom line i think you could easily field a 3rd tactical squad  the question is do you want to.

Its true that I could field the 3rd tac squad but I think the points might be better served with the Scouts to deal with high toughness opponents and the mobile firebase of the attack bikes and their heavy bolters who could swing forward with the pack, or backward to help with clearing out whatever may get to my devestators.

I don't know if you got enough sniper rifles to be effective. It definately is 90 points that if you feel you need somewhere else you can move it around.

Because of my FOC I was really lumped into taking them as I needed to do something with those points and theres not much else i can do.
"Yes, something invulnerable, unburiable is within me, something that rends rocks: It is called MY WILL.  Silently its steps and unchanging through the years." - Fredrich Nietzsche from "The Funeral Song"

Offline Erin

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
Well if you want any help with some strategy feel free to throw me a message and i'll help you out.

Oh, I meant fluffwise (but they are a pain to kill, as my opponent plays Thousand Suns...)

But strategy would be very welcome. But, you might want to read this:http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=122341.0. It's my army, and my fluff.

also, the 1000 chapters thread can give you some ideas for names.
Live fast, Die messy.
                  -Dark Eldar Proverb

Bad Space Wolf! No Humping!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb
deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb"
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »
Because of my FOC I was really lumped into taking them as I needed to do something with those points and theres not much else i can do.

You have a free FA slot - take a speeder. I thought that was the best thing about elite assault squads - you get to have assault and bikes and speeders. I really don't rate snipers unless it's against guard or eldar or something.

Re: traits, why the purity trait? I don't see much use of apothecaries there?

Really not sure about the pred. I can see it being a railgun/brightlance magnet. I tend to go fully mech or none at all.

Any wargear on the chappy? I'd try to fit in a pistol, frags and honours if you can.

No points for fists instead of power swords on the pod sarges?

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:48:56 PM »
You have a free FA slot - take a speeder. I thought that was the best thing about elite assault squads - you get to have assault and bikes and speeders. I really don't rate snipers unless it's against guard or eldar or something.

Well if you read my traits/disadvantages again you'd notice i only get 2 elite, FA, and HS slots.

Re: traits, why the purity trait? I don't see much use of apothecaries there?

Point is its fluffy.  I'm not trying to abuse the traits system to get extra bonus', i'm using it for fluff purposes.  The chapter is about 1/3rd strength, they are absolutely obsessed with keeping casualities to a minimum, or at least recoving whats left of the geneseed.  True apothecaries really have that high of a function in the unit, but in a deep striking unit which is more than likely going to come down into heavy fire i feel that extra marine might save my ass.

I probably could've taken a better trait (like the true grit one or the dual plasma in a squad) but thats not what i'm going for here.  I actually would've liked to take more or better disadvantages but unfortunately the system isn't set up that way.

Really not sure about the pred. I can see it being a railgun/brightlance magnet. I tend to go fully mech or none at all.

It can move and fire, which is important to me as the devies will be stationary

Any wargear on the chappy? I'd try to fit in a pistol, frags and honours if you can.

Forgot to include the pistol and frags, my bad... edited to show

No points for fists instead of power swords on the pod sarges?

Don't want em.  In a squad that deep strikes i need the hits early rather than late, plus with deep strike I can better choose my target breaking the reliance on the power fist.