News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW Paint Gun- Who has one and how good is it?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Lord BoneSaw

GW Paint Gun- Who has one and how good is it?
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
Hello all, I just want to see who has one of these airbrushes from GW. How well does it work and do you have any complaints. I want to get one and want some input. I don't need a high ticket item, I just want something to put down a good base coat and easy to use and clean. I have IW and plan on starting Tau so you can see where this item might save me some time and brushes.
I do not fear the army of lions led by a lamb. I fear the army of lambs led by a lion. - Alexander

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: GW Paint Gun- Who has one and how good is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
I used it on my Iron Warriors and didn't like it too much. It's less effective for metals.

However, on normal colours, it's a pretty good piece of kit.

Offline Lord BoneSaw

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Wow!! Raktra is the only one that's bought one. Guess sales this quarter are down.  ;D

Raktra, have you tried it with washes? I seen in WD it works with washes too and I use a fair amount of blk wash with my IW. I really need to find a way to save me some painting time as I barely have time to finish painting one army let alone two. I was hoping this was the ticket. :-\  Sounds like it may work for my "up and coming" Tau though.

I do not fear the army of lions led by a lamb. I fear the army of lambs led by a lion. - Alexander

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
It's gorgeous for washes, they go on great. If you want to do your IW quickly, then just aquire the large drybrush and quickly go over them with boltgun mixed slightly with chaos black, or no mix if you're washing them.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
friend of mine used them to paint some models for the LGS and his only comment was that while it is good for painting broad surfaces (tanks) you need several air canisters to paint with cause they will get cold and stop working so you need to have several to swap out so you're not waiting for one to warm up all the time.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
I "hotpot" my cans, keeps them going for longer.

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:15 AM »
I "hotpot" my cans, keeps them going for longer.
I'm not familiar with that term: what does it mean to "hotpot" your cans?
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »
Putting them in a hot pot, to counterbalance the cooling the occurs during use so that you can spray for longer before you have to warm the can up again.

The name is a cunning red herring ;)
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »
Ah! A problem I've never encountered, living as I do here in sunny California.  Thanks for the info.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Eothen

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
I think it works great. I have no problem with painting models or tanks with it. But I wouldn't use it to do something more advanced than spray a general area.

I haven't used metal paints, but I can imagine them being a hassle. So I wouldn't airbrush those.

I use a compressor, not the aircans. Its a cheap one so I imagine I'm saving a bit from not having to buy new air every time I'm painting. It kind of works, but It would be better with a compressor that have a airtank.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2009, 05:26:49 AM »
Ah! A problem I've never encountered, living as I do here in sunny California.  Thanks for the info.

Cans will get cold in the middle of the desert if you spray out of them for long enough.
It's the physics of temperature decreasing with diminishing pressure... which if allowed to go far enough will actually promote retrograde boiling within the can, which will (rather unintuitively) cause further temperature decrease.
Of course the inverse is also true, that the drop in temperature will cause a corresponding drop in pressure, which is why cans stop spraying as they get cold.

Dizzy

Offline Powerslave

• "It's all part of the plan."
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2009, 05:46:11 AM »
Don't want to steal the topic but I have some questions in relation to the gun as well:

How long does the air can last? I am thinking of buying the gun to be able to easily basecoat my new projects but I was wondering as to how long does one air can live.

What is the quality of the spray and the coat that it gives like? I will soon have some FW superheavies and wanted to know if this paint gun delivers in quality of the basecoat.

Also, did anyone try to use Vallejo paints through this paint gun? If yes, do they go through the gun well?

And lastly, is the basecoat from the spray gun better than a basecoat by hand?

I have never used airbrushes or spray guns, so that's why I am asking.
http://timeofending.blogspot.com/ - my blog
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline muzzyman1981

« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
I have the GW airgun and for a good general basecoat, it is perfect, especially with the foundation paints (it has a handy little guide system on the paint bottle to tell you how much water to use with how much foundation paint).

Doing the basecoat with the airgun compared to by hand is, I think, a great difference.  I did a Drop Pod by hand and thought it came out ok if a bit rough but then I did a second one with the airgun and I am hooked.

Done by hand:

Done with airbrush (keep in mind this was my first real try with it too):

The above is just my opinion unless specifically stated, so deal with it or move on...

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »
I tried one with a compressor, and it works okay for bastcoating.  I never used an aircan, as they are terrible for air regulation.  It's an external mix airbrush (the paint and air are mixed together outside of the nozzle), so the spray will be stippled (visible spotting of the paint along the edges).  I wouldn't use it for freehand applications like soft camo patterns.  It would also be great for priming (foundation paints are pretty good for this) and varnishing, if you bought a 3rd party varnish like liquitex or pebeo.

It's worth the money as they're not that expensive.  They take a badger hose if you want to buy one to hook up to a compressor.

I have a personal gripe with them calling it a spray gun.  It's an airbrush, plain and simple.  A spray gun works differently, and usually have a fan head spray.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »
No matter what I'm doing, I use an airbrush for camo base coatings on vehicles (the primary layer of camo that the rest are painted onto), the finish so much smoother and thinner that possible with hand brushes.

I also use a compressor, so much more reliable, as JaPizzy said, better air regulation.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Lord BoneSaw

« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2009, 09:04:48 PM »
I went a head and purchased one of these, as they are not that expensive. It cost me $48.00 with 2x Cans. Which I figure will be worth every penny when I get started on my Mech Tau. The instructions say that you should use the foundation line of paints as mentioned before. But I wonder if I use regular GW paints do to color should I use less water? 

Offline Bonham63

« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2009, 02:30:07 AM »
Prime some sprue and experiment with paint. Watering it down as recommended. Probably less water with non foundation paints.
Bonham1963,
Death to the False Emperor!!!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: January 8, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
It's not the easiest thing to get right with the regular colour range, but I did see an entirely red spray Blood Angel army that looked fantastic done that way once.

The cheeky bastard finished them off with felt tip pens! Lazy but good results I say :D

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
Guys, the article said DD, so I came in.

My thing worked for a few days, then turned on me.
I got through 4 1/2 pathfinders, a crisis suit, and some CoD buildings before one thing after another has stopped it.

Right now, propellent is going through the nozzle, but no paint. Any tips? I`m using watered down acrylic paint, non GW brand.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 05:52:31 AM »
Chances are you have a blocked syphon pipe.

You should be able to take the front assembly to pieces, Then soak it in thinners for a few hours to clean it.

If you can't then get a pin and try unblocking the paint nozzle.

When using an airbrush cleaning the insides is just as important as cleaning the outside. You can get airbrush cleaner for a few £'s from a dedicated model railway/airfix store. Running it through the brush after using it will pull out most of the gunk. Be careful tho as blowing chemicals into the air can have some pretty whacky effects on your head if your not outside! There is also a problem with some of the chemicals displacing water in the paints and making them insta dry. Your best bet is to go with something in liquid form rather than an aerosol if you can get hold of it.

Do not be tempted to soak the entire GW brush tho the plastic will almost certainly melt!