News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mantis warriors in the badab crusade  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
Mantis warriors in the badab crusade
« on: April 9, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »
does anyone know what role the mantis warriors played in this war, or why they turned to chaos?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mantis_Legion

this is all i can find on them.
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Mantis warriors in the badab crusade
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
They never turned to Chaos; they merely fought alongside the Astral Claws because they believed the sovereignity of the Adeptus Astartes was being threatened.

Offline Mr Pink

• Style before purpose
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2010, 02:25:28 PM »
You can read the Badab Campaign .pdf written by BoLS, which includes a compilation of the fluff on the chapters involved.

Offline Gromash

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »
they merely fought alongside the Astral Claws because they believed the sovereignity of the Adeptus Astartes was being threatened.

At least thats what the managed to convince the Inquisition of.. I've always thought it a bit odd that the Mantis Warriors should escalate the Badab War from Astartes vs Navy to Astartes vs Astartes if they truly believed it was an Astartes vs Imperial Bureaucracy issue..
Kindly bear in mind the difference between these two words:
Cannon noun A large heavy gun.
Canon noun A sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works.

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
You can read the Badab Campaign .pdf written by BoLS, which includes a compilation of the fluff on the chapters involved.

Watch out for fan-made material.  It's not as 'canon' as official GW products.  Though, given BoLS quality in the background department, I would trust their works more than Matt Ward's.
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Mr Pink

• Style before purpose
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »
Their disclaimer indicates that they have tried to be consistent in case of contradictory information from GW. I do not have the knowledge of some members of this forum (Kage 2020 for example), but I have not noticed any glaring mistake.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
The original Badab story was written long ago though when Marine Chapters behave rather differently than they do in more recent material. For example, rewards to the loyalist Chapters who fought against the rebels included fleet salvage rights, homeworlds, and booty. That's the actual word used. Good old fashioned loot.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
They never turned to Chaos; they merely fought alongside the Astral Claws because they believed the sovereignity of the Adeptus Astartes was being threatened.

aLso as far as i understand it only thw lamenters did it for this reason, the other two gebiunly believed in huron but blagged the imperium into believing their lies.
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Lamenters are a wild card as the whipping horse of Chapters.  They have a history of poor judgement and are likely genetically corrupted.  I'm going to refer to a book that indicates the only nemesis of the former legion is Ka'Bandha (recurring as often as Cobra Commander) and whose only salvation is jump packs and Sanguinor, but check page 17 and 54 of the Blood Angels Codex for some new freshly printed tidbits on the Lamenters.  Lamentors?  Their medical claims are about as credible as a Sunday morning miracle cure advert and they seem hesitant to be seen by any sapient creature except those on the other end of their bolters.

At any rate, there are many factors contributing to decisions made during a crisis.  There were no doubt communications coming from both sides of the conflict, the Mantis Warriors believed one side over the other and acted.  Failure to act is a failure of character for any soldier of the Imperium, disgraceful for a Space Marine (a breed that sees valor rather than folly in trying to punch to death a greater deamon).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.