News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: spiritseer?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
spiritseer?
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
What is the point of upgrading the warlock to a spiritseer if it is attached to the unit any way? Is it just to give you more room to move a wraithlord around the unit?

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: spiritseer?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
1. It's a requirement to make a full unit of wraithguards scoring.
2. More room to move a wraithlord.
3. Can help both wraithlords and guards at a further distance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:03:15 PM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Fenris pretty much said it. By and large, they are really only useful for armies with lots of Wraith units, IE Iyanden. Even then, their only real purpose is to make Wraithguard troops.

Personally, since Wraithguard are so over priced as it is, i see no practical purpose to the Spirit Seer upgrade. Your Warlock is unlikely to be taken out of a Wraithguard unit while it is still alive, and the extra mobility for a Wraithlord isn't really needed when you have so many psykers running aroud.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline ZarathustraSuicuine

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:12:34 AM »
That's it really, but a 10 man wraithguard unit with spirit seer with conceal, joined by a farseer with fortune and a wraithseer using the Fnp power on them should be a great sponge for firepower :P .
Iyanden Eldar, Thousand sons. Yes I use Swooping Hawks, I find they work for me and I love the models.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
That's it really, but a 10 man wraithguard unit with spirit seer with conceal, joined by a farseer with fortune and a wraithseer using the Fnp power on them should be a great sponge for firepower :P .

This is indeed the case, but this is obviously a very costly unit.  I've had a lot of success with (proxied) wraithguard in the past.  When they're in their element, fortuned, concealed wraith guard are practically impossible to bring down.  The problem is that, when your opponent does bring something to counter them with (power fists, low ap weapons, etc.), they tend to drop far too easily for something as pricey as themselves.  Termagants with poison can tarpit these guys for a while and do some pretty significant damage.

But yeah, spirit seers are nifty for any army using lots of wraith units. If you're like me and like to occasionally try a hybrid army using a couple of wraith lords, it's also a handy way to keep your wraith lords from falling out of spirit sight range, so if  you've got a squad of warlocks or guardians somewhere, you might as well toss it on if you've got the points.  Also, if you're like me, all your warlocks have it anyway because the codex entry for warlocks lists them as already having the spiritseer special rule. >.>  Which I'm sure isn't a typo, and our opponents definitely won't expect us to pay the points to upgrade them to have the rule anyway.

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »
Also, if you're like me, all your warlocks have it anyway because the codex entry for warlocks lists them as already having the spiritseer special rule. >.>  Which I'm sure isn't a typo, and our opponents definitely won't expect us to pay the points to upgrade them to have the rule anyway.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here, as it sounds like you are basically cheating deliberately. If this is not the case then please correct me, otherwise you are knowingly cheating at the game. Warlocks are not automatically spirit seers, the upgrade must be paid for.
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »
As a technicality, and without the ability to look at the FAQ right now to check if it's been changed, Wyldhunt is correct. I dissagree, however, with the premise that it is 'not a typo' as the intent is very clear. I don't know a single player who would actually let that on squeak under the radar.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline PhoenixLord1989

• The road of good intentions doesnt leadto anywhere
  • Armies: Eldar, D-Eldar, Dark Angels, Necron, and Tyranids
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2012, 02:32:24 AM »
I agree that it is most likely a typo, but that would be RAI and not RAW. Just because someone has the option to upgrade something for X number of points doesn't mean that if they just so happen to have it as wargear or special rules, that they don't get it anymore. From a RAW standpoint people would have a hard time trying to tell an eldar player they don't get their special rule for the reason that they also have the option to purchase it. Though this should probably be brought up in the rules and questions forum before it gets discussed in this manner any further.
"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2012, 03:02:13 AM »
interestingly I'm not seeing anything in the FAQ about it...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: May 1, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »
[mod]This thread is not a rules a discussion. If you want to debate the Spiritseer/Warlock issue in terms of the rules, please start a new thread in the rules board. Any further off topic posts will be removed.[/mod]
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente