News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: eldar tanks  (Read 18818 times)

Offline Magical Beans

• No beer until you finish your tequila!
Re: eldar tanks
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
because everyone knows that the "Red Ones" go faster

Ha. Very true, except for dice. The red ones I have always let me down. I think they are rigged.

All the tanks and yes the Jeep look nice. It really doesn't matter how hard the technique is or isn't. You simply can't argue with results.
-Beans

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #41 on: February 1, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
If your Beil tan, your best bet is probably white to keep with the theme of your army.
If its your own creation, then it really depends on the Green.  If its dark green, you can go with a Yellow, gold like mine, Bone, light green, BLOOD red, or even a light blue or white color to get some good contrast.
I've primed the area in blotgun and willstart on the mottled green tonight but ......

It looks plain and I'm whats known as "tone blind", I can tell the colours that don't go to gether but not the colours that do  ??? ??? ???
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #42 on: February 1, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »
Moc, i don't think i've ever really given you credit for how amazing your models look...

But, yeah, i guess i've never really looked very closely.

*IS AMAZED!*

I agree with the spines on the wave serpent. They do look better if they face 'backwards' because they flow better.

Though, for vectored engines, I'd take after modern aircraft these days and find a way to make the engine bells look jointed, maybe even hacking and repositioning one of them.
After all, modern vectored thrusters are essentially taking the tail end of the engine and jointing it so the pilot can sinc. it with the tail fins so that pitching up and down is much faster and whatnot. Also, if you look closely to the jets of the Phoenix models and others like it, they actually have room for the engines to move around, so i figure tha twould be a good basis for vectored engines ;)

++Outcast Valkyrie out++

Thanks for the compliment, and I agree that the engines should look Movable (that was what I was attempting to do with the Larger section part way up the engine; but I guess its not that great of a conversion).

OK on to ALshroth's delima, when your done the Green Mottled effect,,,, I suggest that you simply darken your Silver (Big time - heavy Ink them like No Remorse does) and work in a few light points (like Shadow Slayer did with his NMM Gold) and just make sure to make them look stretched a little so it give the apperaance of motion. Oh and adding some Deep Shading (Black lining) to the Recesses between your armour plates would help too.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Hypopheralcus

• What's for lunch?
« Reply #43 on: February 1, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »
Craftworld Beldanar's first falcon:

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #44 on: February 1, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
Jago that is very solid, well done, I live the "Squid" type icon, and the Red blends look great.

CaHG

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #45 on: February 1, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
I agree with the spines on the wave serpent. They do look better if they face 'backwards' because they flow better.

Lol, I have three serpents with the spines assembled backwards.
We Saim Hann players all think alike  :D

I should take some pics tonite.

Offline Dawnlight Avenger

• Infinity Circuit
    • Bryan Maynard - Sculptor
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Tau, Imperial Guard
« Reply #46 on: February 1, 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
Quote from Srintuar on Today at 10:00:55
Quote from: Outcast Valkyrie on Yesterday at 22:40:32

We Saim Hann players all think alike  Cheesy

Well, actually, I play a Craftworld very loosely based on Alaitoc. But, now that i think about it, technically, from the playstyle, its a mix between Alaitoc, Biel-tan, and Saim-Hann.

And yes, I like cheese too. Especially cheddar cheese. It goes well on crackers ;)

Jago, I feel like I've seen that Falcon before, but i don't know if I said anything. Great job! The white looks really smooth and that squid-like icon is just sweet. Is it just me, though, or is it missing its secondary turret weapon?

ALshroth, I'd either agree with Moc, or say change that silver to gold. I personally think that gold and green go well together, much like silver and blue. I dunno where I picked it up, but i know that one day one of my friends agreed with me about it, and its been reinforced in my mind.

++Outcast Valkyrie out++
War gaming is more than a hobby,
it's a lifestyle

The Listening Post - A Hobby Blog

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #47 on: February 1, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »
Oh great after Ive added green ink to darken it someone sudjest gold.

I doubt you will see it but my motteling sucked
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #48 on: February 1, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
Quote from: Outcast Valkyrie on Yesterday at 22:40:32

We Saim Hann players all think alike  Cheesy

Yup all my serpents have rear facing spines as well. Not only does it look a little better but it stops them sticking into the carry case foam so much.

Forgive me for been a touch sinical about these paintjobs, But the eldar to me seem like a morbid sort of bunch, what with there monk life lifestyle, And the stark beauty and blandness of there buildings/craftworlds. I find it very hard to imagine a group of eldar warmarshalls sat at a table deciding that flames or even slight decoration would be apropriate to there warmachines! Aspects would be different they worship war... but anything with a guardian in it is going to be bland, delusions of grandure and spendure in war would lead to the darkside. Away from the strict eldar path. Either to slannesh, or to the darker kin.... and i have a feeling the warmarshalls would be very strict.

on a side note you all put me to shame, The water effects are realy good. And some of the freehand work that the eldar recive is very very skillful.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #49 on: February 1, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »
I like your comment on how these indulgences like Iconry would lead to the "Dark path" eventually. And you may just be right in my own armies case at least, as they have certianly become a lot more lethal since I starteed getting their paint finished up.

Red=Go faster
Flames=to go with my Fire-power theme from the origins of my own Wild Rider family
Black=Constant reminder that Chaos lurks
White=The right path
Green=A small tough of earth tone to remind them that they don't always have to be airborne.

If you go to my Website and look close I actually tried to have all of these colours on every figure, not to mention the Aspect colours where appropriate.

CaHG

Offline Hypopheralcus

• What's for lunch?
« Reply #50 on: February 1, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
Thanks moc, still it's nothing compared to some of the other paintjobs around here. I'm still looking forward to improve my scheme and skill with following tanks though as I'm not really satisfied with my work ;)

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #51 on: February 2, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »
Forgive me for been a touch sinical about these paintjobs, But the eldar to me seem like a morbid sort of bunch, what with there monk life lifestyle, And the stark beauty and blandness of there buildings/craftworlds. I find it very hard to imagine a group of eldar warmarshalls sat at a table deciding that flames or even slight decoration would be apropriate to there warmachines! Aspects would be different they worship war... but anything with a guardian in it is going to be bland, delusions of grandure and spendure in war would lead to the darkside. Away from the strict eldar path. Either to slannesh, or to the darker kin.... and i have a feeling the warmarshalls would be very strict.
Valid point !
Looking at mine IMHO the blades should point up and be attached to the deflector plats that are on the epic models

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #52 on: February 2, 2008, 09:57:37 AM »
Here're my two tanks, all I have for the time being. 

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #53 on: February 2, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
Owowow my back is killing me tonight

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #54 on: February 2, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
Holy Crap ALshroth I didn't even recognize that tank when I first looked at the pic, I actually went back to match the name up with the other one.... I truely like hte darker look, and all it needs now is more highlihgting an Ink/Varnish job and hte Motled part will be wicked. Well done. After that start work to re-define the ols Silver parts (mised Silver and Green in varying amount - strip lined to show motion) and that thing will rock. It looks like your going with Purple for the Gem work: so when get to that I want to see another update too. Awesome change.

Your badk will get used to it,,,, next time raise one foot a bit while you paint (foot stool) as it will make things more comfortable over a long time session.

CaHG

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #55 on: February 3, 2008, 03:54:32 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep at it as i've got 2 fire prisms (and hopefully a night spinner kit) coming next week Ill need a different variation.
As to the back It a case of needing to rebuild the desk (part of nearly £300 worth of woodwork that needs doing) :o :o :o

BTW did you notice the difference in highliting on the different sides? Igot my paint mixed up  ::) ::)
Im actually using the gems, its just they look far better with the green ink. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 3, 2008, 03:56:48 AM by ALshroth »

Offline Dawnlight Avenger

• Infinity Circuit
    • Bryan Maynard - Sculptor
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Tau, Imperial Guard
« Reply #56 on: February 3, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
well then, ALShroth, that is a huge difference. I think the fact that its greenish silver makes up for the fact that it could be gold. I like how it is right now.

As for the back hurting, my back's been like that for 3 years now. I think my doctor said I've developed a mild case of scoliosis. Wooops ;)

++Outcast Valkyrie out++
War gaming is more than a hobby,
it's a lifestyle

The Listening Post - A Hobby Blog

Offline Andaah

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Confused..... often...
« Reply #57 on: February 4, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Have I finished yet?

If I can get its partner to match Ill be happy with it being darker

Not its partner but the first WS I ever built Converted from falcon

wow 2 hard weeks down just the 3rd to paint till net next pair arrive.
I do hope I don't go insane.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Now look at the difference from "start" to "finish". We told you that you could do something awesome if you tried and there you have it. Its very difficult to picture the end result in your mind when your first looking at a bare hull.

Nice work thus far, and the Question now is not if you will go insane (Come on you play 40K, your already insane), the question is how do you ever go back to your former standard after producing something that good. You should still do an Ink wash on the Silvers to start with; But I suggest you go PM No Remorse (tell him I sent you - if you like) and ask him to detail out how he does his "Heavy Glazing" as this techneique would work very well on all of your Metal parts.

CaHG