News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59512 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #80 on: September 1, 2016, 06:18:44 PM »
Well I had my game tonight and it was a very close affair, finishing at the end of turn 5 in a 10 to 9 Victory for the Raven Guard!
My opponent was running a Nurgle list consisting of:
Typhus
5 Terminators
Hellcult formation (Hellbrute and two units of cultists)
10 Plague Marines in Rhino
16 Plague Marines
Predator
Chaos Knight Titan
2x Vengeance turrets (with Punisher cannons)

Against my list of:
Chapter Master
10 Assault Marines
5 Man Tac squad (Melta/Combi-Melta) in Drop Pod
2x 5 Man Tac squad (Plasma/Combi-Plasma) in Drop pod
5x Devastators- 3 Missile Launchers
5 Sternguard- Combi Meltas In drop pod
Storm Raven
Dreadnought (in Ravenhawk Formation with the above Storm Raven & Sternguard)
2x 5 Man Scouts
2x Vanguard Veterans (In Shadowstrike Kill Team)

It started off pretty badly for me, I tried to keep most of my units off the board for the first turn but dropped my Sternguard and Combi Melta tac squad next to the Knight. Devastators and both Scout teams walked on from the board edge. My Sternguard completely whiffed on the Knight but the Tactical squad managed to take off 3 Hull points with a Melta gun. The Knight then turned around and stomped the poor Sternguard and their drop pod with a D strength stomp!
Turn 2 only my plasma units came down and with no locator beacons down I kept my Vanguards off the board. Took one more hull point off the knight with a lucky melta shot and killed a couple of Terminators with the plasma. At this point I was really starting to worry as I just couldn't do enough damage to get the kill points! The knight then stomps a tactical squad and the Terminators and Plague Marines near enough wipe out two others, two lone marines elect to flee to get away from the oncoming Nurgle forces.
Turn 3 and my reserves finally arrive! Storm Raven comes on looking at the rear armour of the Knight and Vanguard Veterans drop in mid table ready to charge the Plague Marines and Predator, Chapter Master and his Assault Squad come in near the Hellcult formation. Assault Squad wipes out one of the cultist units with their flamers and bolt pistols, then takes a hull point off the hellbrute with a frag grenade! Storm Raven fires Melta Gun and two Missiles into the rear of the Chaos knight and finishes it off, the explosion however went away from the Chaos forces nearby. Vanguard veterans destroy the Predator with ease but the other unit assaults the plague marines and completely whiffs with their Lightning claw attacks, the Thunder Hammers killed two marines but I lost all three Lightning claw guys and they fled, the plague marines gunned them down in the following shooting phase.
Turn 4 the Storm Raven drops off the Dreadnought, the Chapter Master and Assault squad then charge the large plague marine squad and the Chapter Master does some serious work! 6 attacks and got all hits, then got another 4 hits with his extra attacks. This then converts to 7 Wounds of which my opponent passes 2 feel no pains, with the further attacks from the rest of the Assault squad there was only 1 Plague marine left! Dreadnought assaulted Typhus and the terminators, killed two Terminators first off and then insta-killed Typhus in the following phase!
Turn 5 was uneventful as the majority of his forces were well away from what I had left and the only thing of note was the Dreadnought assaulting and destroying one of the Gun batteries.

Overall it was a very enjoyable game if not exactly a good advert for the Raven Guard! Vanguard Veterans were relatively disappointing, the ability to charge after deepstrike really helped in getting rid of the Predator but they really struggled against the Plague Marines (due to some poor rolling). MVP is either the Chapter Master who took out most of the large Plague marine unit on his own or the Dreadnought who took out 2 Terminators and Typhus in 2 assault phases!
Another pretty good learning game, looking forward to getting a couple of devastator boxes next week though.....
« Last Edit: September 1, 2016, 06:24:24 PM by Aurics Pride »
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: September 2, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
Awesome stuff bud. Really glad you won. Thats some brutal reserve rolls... you might want to add an Aegis Defense Line with a Comms Relay to get very reliable reserves. Just have your scouts or Devs walk up to it when they come on. I'm surprised you dont get any Reserve manipulation via the formations or whatnot.

Anyway I really liked your tactics and list. Just based on decision making I don't think I would have done anything different. My only thing would have been adding an ADL with a Comms Relay to make sure everything came on in a timely manner.

Also I wouldn't judge the Vanguard Vets to harshly. Lightning Claws against Plague Marines isn't the best matchup. Thats why I say all Hammers! But as discussed previously I know you must remain true and loyal to the teachings of Corax. lol :)

Anyway great stuff bud glad you got another solid win for you Ravenguard. Victorus Aut Mortis!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #82 on: September 2, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
Yeah reserves didn't really help me all that much but sadly there wasn't much I can do in that regard. Due to the fact that I am drawing from the detachment I haven't actually got a fortifications slot to be able to take an Aegis without taking a CAD as well.  :(
Other than things coming in piecemeal I think my tactics were good for the most part, with a bit more luck the Sternguard and Tacs probably should have taken the Knight out on the first turn which would have helped me a fair bit!
I'm not concerned about the Vanguard Vets, It was just poor rolling on my part and some good feel no pain rolls from my opponent! I'll wait until I use them in a proper game before really judging them too much!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »
Well I had another game against my favourite Death Guard opponent again tonight. Was another 2,000pt battle this time doing Cloak and shadows (Fitting for the Raven Guard).
My list was:

Battle Demi-Company

Chapter Master- Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Swiftstrike & Murder
5 Tactical Marines- Melta, Combi-Melta (In drop pod)
5 Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi-Plasma (In drop pod)
5 Tactical Marines- Plasma, Combi-Plasma (on foot)
10 Assault Marines- Vet Sarge with Lightning claws, 2x Flamers
5 Devastators- 4x Grav Cannons (In drop pod)
Dreadnought- Assault Cannon (In drop pod)

Raptor Wing
Landspeeder- Multi Melta & Heavy Flamer
Storm Talon- Assault cannons & Skyhammer missiles
Storm Talon- Assault Cannons & Skyhammer Missiles

Shadowstrike Kill Team
5 Scouts- Camo Cloaks, Sniper rifles
5 Scouts- Camo cloaks, sniper rifles
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer Storm shield
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer Storm Shield

His list was roughly:

Typhus
Sorceror
20 Plague Marines- Plasma pistol, 2x Melta guns
18 Plague Marines- Plasma pistol, 2x Melta guns
Predator- TL Lascannon, Heavy Bolter
Hellbrute
Chaos Knight titan- Thermal lance, D slapping chainsword, Daemonic possession

Deployment
I won the roll to deploy first and decided to deploy first and take the first turn thinking that I could try and do some crippling damage before he gets moving.
My single Tac squad on foot and the two scout squads all deploy on objectives within ruins, the Landspeeder hides behind some line of sight blocking terrain.
His Knight is deployed directly in the centre of his lines, with a Plague Marine unit on either flank (One with Typhus, one with the sorceror) the predator set up on his right flank and the Hellbrute pushed up as high as he could looking to challenge for the objective in the middle of no-mans land.

Turn 1
He elects not to sieze so I start my first turn. I chose my Devastators and Melta gun units to come in on drop pod assault but passed the rolls for both of my other drop pods.
The Grav Devastators drop down next to his largest plague marine unit on his left flank (With typhus) and managed to kill a whole 3 Plague marines......uh oh! The melta gun unit dropped next to the Knight and managing to deploy out of the arc of his Ion cannon they both hit, both penetrated.......an d he passed both 5+ Invulnerables! My Plasma unit drop podded into midfield to claim the objective and the Dreadnought dropped behind the Hellbrute. The Plasma squad, Dreadnought and Landspeeder all lined up the Hellbrute and did no damage...... No quite an Alpha strike! Despite the poor rolling and lack of damage I managed to rack up a massive 4 Maelstrom points thanks to two D3 objective cards

In his turn Typhus's squad turned round and utterly shredded the Devastators with bolter rounds and the other Plague Marine squad did the same to my poor Melta Gunners. The Knight took out one of my Drop pods, The Hellbrute shot at my Dreadnought and missed and the Predator failed to do any damage to my Landspeeder. The hellbrute charged my Dreadnought and did a single hull point damage, The Dreadnought wrecked it with 3 Penetrating hits.

Turn 2
My Storm Talons and Vanguard Veterans arrive but the Assault Squad stays off. The Storm Talons fly straight in and Wreck the Predator. Vanguard Veterans appear on either side of the largest Plague Marine unit preparing to charge along with the Dreadnought. Land Speeder moves next to some ruins to hide from the Knight. The Vanguard Vets, and Dreadnought assault the Plague Marines and do a couple of Wounds with Hammer of wraths. The Lightning claws then fell a fair few others but Typhus then strikes back with his massive Scythe and cuts down a Veteran Sargeant and 5 other Veterans! The thunder Hammers and Dreadnought strike back and take down another couple of Plague marines leaving just Typhus and half a dozen plague marines.

His Knight now advances towards the combat just incase I manage to break free but also trying to get some cover inbetween him and the Storm Talons. He doesn't have a huge amount else to do but the Knight destroys another drop pod although didn't get the scatter onto the Dreadnought as he was hoping. In combat my Vanguard Veterans failed to do any damage! Typhus finished off the Veterans and the Dreadnought killed some more Plague Marines.

Turn 3
My Chapter Master and Assault squad again fail to turn up! My land speeder and Storm Talons all advance looking at the Knight. Scouts and Tactical Marines hold their ground knowing that there isn't much imminent danger to them and their hold on the objectives was pretty safe. Land speeder opened up at the Knight and stripped a massive 3 Hull points off it! Storm Talons managed to do another one with the Skyhammer missiles, couldn't do anything with the remaining Plasma shots. In combat the Dreadnought took out a couple of the Plague Marines and Typhus did nothing.

His sorceror led Plague Marine squad started up a Conga line across his deployment zone to try and capture two objectives, his Knight attempted a scatter ontop of the Dreadnought but this time managed it and took a hull point off the Dreadnought. In combat though the Dreadnought did get the last laugh and instant killed Typhus again! The final two Plague Marines stood their ground.

Turn 4
My Chapter Master finally arrives and not wanting to get blasted by the Knight he drops in with his unit behind a ruin and runs up to get some cover from it. The Land speeder moves up to get within Melta range of the Knight and the Storm Talons fly off the board to go into ongoing reserves. The Land speeder manages to take another hull point off the Knight but that was all the damage I managed to do in this shooting phase. The Dreadnought finished off the last of the Plague Marines and moves right next to the Knight to try and prevent being hit by a Thermal Cannon.

His remaining Plague Marine unit continues it's conga line and the Knight blew the Land speeder out of the air with his Thermal cannon. He then charges into the Dreadnought, although he didn't manage to get that glorious 6 on the D-Weapon chart he easily destroyed the Dreadnought....... The Dreadnought however did strike at the same time and registering two hits and one penetrating hit the Knight failed it's invulnerable save and went down!

Turn 5
My Storm Talons come back on and fail to really do much to the Plague Marine unit. My Chapter Master and his Assault Marines jump forwards looking for a charge. Not wanting to lengthen my charge I elect not to shoot with my remaining units and the Assault Marines make an 8" charge. Naturally I call a Challenge and my Chapter Master squares up against his Sorceror. In the challenge I make my 6 attacks and only register 1 hit! (Hitting on 3s!) this gives me an extra attack but in the end he only manages to do one unsaved wound! The sorceror then strikes back and of the 3 Artificer armour saves I have to make I failed one. My assault marines took a handful of Plague Marines out with a combination of the Veteran sergeants Lightning claws and their chainswords. They lost two of their number in return. Leaving the Sorceror and 5 Plague Marines left.

In his assault phase my Chapter Master attempts to make up for his dismal performance in the previous phase and makes his attacks. 5 Attacks registers 5 hits, another 5 attacks now registers me another 5 hits! I convert 9 of this into wounds (I love Shred!) and he only manages to pass 2 of his feel no pains. This takes out his remaining models and gives me a victory by tabling!

By the end of the game I had run away with the Maelstrom mission points and had somewhat of a stranglehold on the table as he wasn't able to get out of his deployment zone. He really struggled with a lack of speed in my opinion as he just couldn't contest the objectives that I was holding and had no real options after that.
I was concerned after my Alpha strike absolutely failed but I managed to plink away models here and there and eventually managed to rack up the damage without suffering any damage to my Scouts and Tac marines who were quietly winning me the game via the cards.
Man of the match again has to be the Dreadnought. In the last two games he has killed Typhus twice, a Hellbrute, a couple of Terminators, a Vengeance battery and finished off a Knight Titan! I definitely think he is deserving of promotion to a Contemptor pattern!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2016, 07:32:19 AM »
Very nice victory Auric. Really classic match-up with just a bit of a new school twist. Really nice back and forth, but I was nervous for you when the Alpha-Strike failed. Man of the match has to be the Dreadnought! Dreadnoughts are soooo good now. I'm really happy they are because they are so classic. I don't believe I've seen your dreadnought before... can we get a pic of him?

Anyway so pumped you are continuing to have success with your Ravenguard. Keep it up bud I'm rooting for ya!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2016, 03:58:04 AM »
@Cav- Cheers bud, yeah the Alpha strike failing did really worry me. I think it's one thing that I am learning with the Raven Guard. I am so used to the consistent damage output from my Eldar armies that it's a bit of a shock when I have a turn like that! Thankfully did manage to make up for it though.
The Dreadnought is actually a proxy from my real old Iron Warriors army, I needed something to fill the points and it's actually done really well for me. For all the flak they get online etc in the right situations Dreadnoughts can still be really good. You've just got to pick your battles!

@Everybody

So I have managed another battle in the last couple of weeks (Preparing for Holiday and loads of work has left me without much time!) and it was a fair bit different! A friend of mine was preparing for a Tournament and asked me to bring the cheese!
His list was an Unbound Corsair/Eldar/Dark Eldar list:
Prince- Jetbike, Void Sabre, Shadowfield
Baron- Same as above
Baron- Same as above
6 Clouddancers- Splinter Cannons
6 Clouddancers- Scatter Lasers
6 Clouddancers- Dissonance Cannons
5 Warriors in a Venom
5 Warriors in a Venom
5 Warriors in a Venom
5 Warriors in a Venom
5 Warriors in a Venom
Wraithknight- Twin Heavy Wraithcannons
Warp Hunter

my list was:
Talon Strike Force-
Chapter Master- Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Swiftstrike and Murder
5 Tacticals- Melta, Combi-Melta in a drop pod
5 Tacticals- Plasma, Combi-Plasma in a drop pod
5 Tacticals- Plasma, Combi-Plasma
5 Assault Marines- Flamer
5 Devastators- 3x Missile Launchers

Skyhammer Annihilation Force-
5 Devastators- 4x Grav Cannons
5 Devastators- 4x Multimeltas

Shadowstrike Kill Team-
5 Scouts- Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles
5 Scouts- Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

So I won the rolls and gave him first turn, he deployed his entire army on the board (His first mistake!) and I deployed Devastators, one tac squad and infiltrated the scouts. With the help of Shrouding on the first turn I managed to weather the storm, he whittled the Devastators down to 1 Marine, the tac squad down to 3 and killed a single scout.
Then the alpha strike hit..........
Skyhammer and Shadowstrike Kill team all came in as did the two TSF drop pods.
Grav Devastators wiped out the Wraithknight after getting 17 Wounds through! One tactical squad and the Multi Melta Devs combined to take out the Warp Hunter and then the two Skyhammer Assault Squads dealth with a Venom and Warrior squad each. One of the Shadowstrike Veteran units multicharged two Venoms and took the pair of them out. The other one epicly failed when charging The Prince and his Clouddancers, they lost 3 of their number to overwatch and then the remaining two were cut down by the Prince before they had chance to attack.
After this turn he was so far on the back foot that it was pretty much just a cleanup job for me. He suffered the pain of the Corsair Perils chart when his Void Dreamer decided to run off the table and his Prince decided to become a Daemon under my control! It ended up as a tabling on Turn 4 with me up 11-2 on Maelstrom cards as well.

Well he did ask me to bring the cheese!  :-[

In addition to this I have done a little bit of painting this week too, got my Land Speeder all painted up and ready to go, just need to do a new base for it (Current one is one of my Eldar ones)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2016, 06:59:15 AM »
Damn! Your buddy needs to learn the art of the beta-strike (as you hinted)! Never, never let Skyhammer get a chance to swing at your best units. Reserves are your friend!

Anyway glad you got the win Auric, he walked right into your ambush, which is nice for the good old Ravenguard.

Dreadnoughts are freaking boss right now! I cant wait to get my Dark Angels going cause I'm gonna have one rocking in a Storm Raven.

Also that Speeder looks awesome! So classic.... I really love it. Like I said before this army has a perfect blend of classic and new-school. It'd fit in at any time in history of 40k and look totally pro. Anyway bud great stuff and keep it up. Keep on rocking with your Ravenguard!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
Definitely, I gave him a few hints and tips afterwards although he didn't face any alpha strike lists in his tournament.

I do have another small update for today, probably will be my last until I get back from my trip to the states next week.
I painted up an assault squad! Slowly getting through my table full of unpainted models!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
Very nice as always Auric. I like the mixed poses like some dudes are landing, others are surging forward. Very cool. Also like the inclusion of the eviscerator and the flamer... always nice options. Is this for your Skyhammer?

Anyway great stuff and enjoy your trip to the States. Are you headed anywhere nice? Anyway take care and enjoy your trip!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Yeah they'll be used for the Skyhammer and for the Pinion Battle Demi Company.
I am off to Vegas for 9 days! Sadly not while the LVO is on though haha

and on a more geeky note here is my latest addition:

haha!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
Those dice look rather sleek in my opinion.  I certainly wouldn't see that having those is particularly geeky at all :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »
Those dice look rather sleek in my opinion.  I certainly wouldn't see that having those is particularly geeky at all :).

Cheers Iri, not gonna lie they set me back quite a lot money wise but I just thought it would be fun!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #92 on: October 1, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »
Sick! Wow they look great. Such a nice element for your collection. I think they are a great pickup even if they are expensive. I like how you assigned them to your Skyhammer/Pinion Company too. I'm the same way with that kind of stuff.

Great pickup Auric, glad to see you embracing your Ravenguard all the way

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
So yesterday morning I flew back in from Vegas and after getting home I quickly threw together an army list and grabbed my case to head out for a game at my local club!
We've just changed venues and in our new one we can now manage 4 tables rather than 3 with a lot more space around and we had a really good turnout  8)
My game was against my friend Chris using his Eldar, Chris recently won our local tournament with a really nasty jetbike list but he decided that he wanted to try out something new.
I haven't got any pictures and in my jetlagged state I probably can't remember that many details so I'll just give the army lists and a very brief overview!

Raven Guard
Battle Demi Company
Chapter Master- Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Swiftstrike and Murder
5 Tacticals- Plasma, Combi-Plasma (In Drop Pod)
5 Tacticals- Melta, Combi-Melta (In Drop Pod)
5 Tacticals- Plasma, Combi-Plasma (On Foot)
10 Assault Marines- Sergeant with Power fist, 2x Flamers
5 Devastators- 4x Grav Cannons, Amorium Cherub
Dreadnought- Assault Cannon (In Drop Pod)
Shadowstrike Kill Team
5 Scouts- Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks
5 Scouts- Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield
5 Vanguard Veterans- 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield
Raptor Wing
Landspeeder- Heavy Flamer, Multi Melta
Storm Talon- Twin linked Assault Cannons, Skyhammer Missiles
Storm Talon- Twin linked Assault Cannons, Skyhammer Missiles

Eldar
Farseer
5 Warlocks (On foot)
3x Jetbikes- Shuriken Catapults
2x Nightspinners
Vyper
3x Warwalkers- Scatter Lasers
3x Shining Spears- Exarch with lance
6x Scorpions- Exarch w/ Claw
6x Scorpions- Exarch w/ Claw
3x Falcons (In Cloudstrike Formation)

Dire Avenger Shrine

6x Dire Avengers
6x Dire Avengers
6x Dire Avengers

We had the deadlock mission and after winning the roll he decided to go 2nd. He deployed the Nightspinners, Farseer and Warlocks, 2 bike squads and the Vyper. He then infiltrated both Scorpion squads in places that they could make objective grabs. I deployed my lone tactical squad on an objective in my deployment zone and then infiltrated both scout squads. Everything else stayed in reserve.

Turn 1
My "Alpha" strike comes down...... Two tactical squad drop pods land and do some damage to the jetbike units, killing one entirely. Dreadnought drops in and blows up the Vyper with it's assault cannon. Assault Squad and Land Speeder also come on from my board edge and fry most of one of the Scorpion Squads.
He then reacts with the Farseer and warlocks by charging the Dreadnought and knocking two hull points off, Night Spinners shred most of the Melta gun squad and the Scorpions both claim objectives. The remaining two jetbikers turbo boost onto an objective.
Turn 2
My Storm Ravens arrive and take 2 hull points off a Night Spinner, Veterans and Devastators stay off the board for the moment. I fail to do much damage during this turn apart from wiping out a unit of Scorpions. The Seers finish off the Dreadnought and consolidate towards my Drop pods.
His Warwalkers, Shining Spears and Jetbikes arrive. Warwalkers and Jetbikes both outflank behind me and set up pressure on my home objectives. Jetbikes turbo boost over and claim another objective and between his scorpions, Seers and Nightspinners he wipes out two Drop pods and two tactical squads! His Warwalkers take out one of my Storm Ravens.
Turn 3
Devastators and Veterans arrive! The Devastators come down into a ruin right next to the Nightspinners and the Grav Cannons wreck one of them (He made a lot of Holofield saves!)
Veterans come down on a locator beacon and proceed to wipe out the Farseer & Warlocks and a Scorpion Squad. My Chapter Master and Assault Marines destroy the reserved jetbike squad and my scouts manage to kill a single Shining spear in combat.
His Cloudstrike formation stays off the board so his turn is quite a lot of trying to stay alive. He claims an objective with the 2 remaining jetbikers and the Warwalkers absolutely shred my poor Landspeeder!
Turn 4
One Veteran squad moves over to aid the Scouts in combat with the Shining spears and the other moves into cover waiting for the Cloudstrike formation to present itself. Storm Raven flies off the board. Devastators shred the last remaining Jetbikes and the Chapter Master and Assault Marines move into a ruin for cover.
His Cloudstrike formation now arrives and drops right in the middle of the board, all three units of Dire Avengers jump out and absolutely shred my poor Assault Squad leaving just the Chapter Master on two wounds and 2 Assault Marines. The Falcons then open up with Pulse lasers and Bright lances and finish them off, instant killing my poor Chapter Master!  :'( The Warwalkers annihilate the tactical squad in my deployment zone.
Turn 5
Storm Raven reappears behind the Cloudstrikes and immobilises one falcon. The Devastators annihilate one unit of Dire Avengers and the Veterans charge but fail to do any damage to the Falcons!
His remaining Dire Avengers and Falcons all attempt to pick on the Vanguard Veterans and kill all bar two (I passed 4 straight Storm Shield saves!) the Warwalkers looking for assasinate kill all of the scout squad.....apart from the sergeant!

Game ends on turn 5 and we counted up our points....... it finished 18-17 to the Eldar!
He did very well by getting two D3 points cards which both times he managed to get the full 3 points for. Overall it has to be one of the most fun games I've done in a long time! Niether army was massively competitive but it was a very enjoyable game with a lot of carnage!

Good points
  • Vanguard Veterans did a lot better this game, the Hammer of Wrath attacks made a big difference
  • Grav Cannons are really nasty.....
  • Storm Talons again did a really good job, Assault Cannon and Skyhammer is a great combination
Bad Points
  • Definitely need a better Alpha strike than what the Demi Company can provide in a competitive game
  • Chapter Master is great but did not make his points back at all. Would kill to have him in the Vanguard units, delivery is a big problem
  • Mobility again is a bit of an issue, typical drop pod army that is quite static after the turn they come in.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »
Nice bat-rep Auric. Really liked the lists too... its games like this that I like to play. Some nice strong units and formations but nothing, too, too crazy.

I agree with your evaluations at the end too. Big fan of the Storm Talons... they can really brutalize ground units and give Imperials much needed mobility. What do you think you would add, to beef up your Alpha Strike?

Not sure what options the Ravenguard have (are the Mont'ka rules reprinted in Angels of Death?)... Its not an Alpha Strike option, but I like the Stormraven and 2x Talons formations where they escort each other on. I've played against it and found it very challenging. You could load that sucker up with a 2nd Dreadnought too. Just a thought.

Anyway bud great stuff. Can't wait to see some more Ravenguard action and pics. Keep us posted bud and hope you enjoyed your trip!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2016, 04:19:59 AM »
Sounds like a really fun game AP. Shame you couldn't come away with the win, but it sounds like it was really cool and fun.

Game ends on turn 5 and we counted up our points....... it finished 18-17 to the Eldar!
He did very well by getting two D3 points cards which both times he managed to get the full 3 points for.

Man, I hate that a game can come down to that kind of chance! Why GW? Why??!!! Seriously though, it does bug me that we do so much dice rolling to see who lives and dies, don't let the game come done to a couple of independent dice rolls that you have no control over (by that, I mean that you always control who you shoot and with what, so there is an element of control. D3 VPs is like a slot machine. You're lucky, or you're not.).

Anyway, great stuff AP, keep it coming!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2016, 01:19:49 AM »
Cheers guys, It was a really enjoyable game. Certainly better than the one I had last night. My opponent brought a pretty strong Dark Angels army, using a landspeeder that gives everything within 12" Stealth and Shrouded (can't remember it's name, something-shroud) and a formation of 3 Vindicators and a Land Raider. I took my Corsairs and took a pretty powerful list as I was expecting a lot of Grav Spam and an Azrael Grav-star. In his first turn the Vindicators took out a Ranger squad with their Apocalyptic ignores cover blast but then the Warp Hunter and Lynx took out the whole formation. 3 Vindicators and the Land Raider all turned to dust. The game continued with him moving forwards with the bikes but he was never particularly aggressive with them and didn't put anywhere near enough pressure on me. I mopped up everything else and he conceeded at the end of turn 3 with me still having all bar a Venom, Jetbike Baron and a Ranger squad on the board. Was a very one-sided game and not particularly enjoyable tbh.

@Cav: The Storm Talons are great, not the most overpowered units but they can put out a decent amount of hurt and really do make my army more maneuverable. It's tough to say really, a Skyhammer formation does make a big difference but maybe a little too much in some games. I think I will give the Devastators Grav Cannons as without Relentless they aren't too overpowering. I am considering making up a 1st Company Strike Force with two more Squads of Sternguard but just can't afford the Forgeworld models at the moment.
I have tried the Storm Wing formation and yeah it's pretty strong, I think I prefer the Raptor wing though, having them guaranteed on Turn 2 is really big.

@Looshkin: Haha I hear ya! I do quite like the Maelstrom missions, in our Meta people are just way too happy to sit with gunlines trading shots at each other which never really leads to all that exciting a game! The Maelstrom missions at least force them to mix it up a bit more and has lead to some much more varied lists. I do hate the D3 points objectives though, I much prefer what they do for the SN Battle Reports tournament in Gibraltar which has the D3 objectives as always 2 points.

@Everyone: Not got much to update on at the moment! Just had a set of nights at work so either been at work or asleep and unfortunately have also been fending off a bit of the Man-flu. I have decided that I am going to try and resist buying anything much over the next few months while I finish off the Raven Guard bits that need painting, I was chatting with a friend last night at the local club and next year I may be looking at some tournaments! Going to do a bit more work on the Corsairs to get them up to scratch and to give me options with what I want to take.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2016, 07:05:07 AM »
Bummer on the lack luster game. Yeah I"m not a fan of that Vindicator formation, nor the inclusion of the Land Raider especially considering he was going up against d-slinging Corsairs. But hey I can understand him wanting to make it work. My lists are sub-optimal too a lot of the time but disappointing when you are all hyped for a tense game and it doesnt work out.

Also yeah I like the Raptor Wing too. I forgot about that little gem. Yeah I know what you are talking about with the Skyhammer. For awhile I was all pumped up to play against all the bad-dudes in the galaxy, but for the most part people are pretty casual with their lists, so it stinks blowing them out of the water. Since toning down my list about 4 months ago I've found my games to be much better.

I've also played against 1st Company Task Force and while it didn't do great against my Beta-Strike (it did blow up my VSG, take down a Wave Serpent and kill 3 Spiders though) I do rate it highly. I've seen it featured on Winter SEO many times and it certainly can brutal against opponents (but not skyhammer brutal).

Anyway good stuff Auric. Keep us posted!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #98 on: November 2, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
One tiny little update for today, I am on nights at work again at the moment so time has been very limited sadly!
Been doing a little bit of kitbashing again over the last few days and have put together these two guys:
Firstly I made a Jumppack Librarian, although I can't take a Librarian using the Raven Guard formation should I choose to use a CAD this guy could come in pretty handy. The model is a mix of Forgeworld Raven Guard upgrade parts, Vanguard Veteran parts and a couple of Grey Knight bits.

Secondly I made my own version of the Forgeworld Raptor (Raven guard successor) Chapter Master Lias Issodon. This guy is a character that really fits well with the Raven Guard fluff and will come in handy for a couple of bits that I am planning for early next year!
Again he is mostly Forgeworld Raven Guard upgrade parts but with Devastator legs and a power sword from a kit that I can't remember!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #99 on: November 3, 2016, 07:49:11 AM »
Absolutley sick Auric! I didn't know Librarians could take jump packs. Love it! He should really be helpful... if only to dish out Prescience on your Vanguard Vets or the like. Really great modeling and I love his bolter. So old school. Yes Lias Issodon is such an awesome character and he kills it on the tabletop. Played against him a long while back, rocking around with 10 Sternguard in a Land Raider. It sounds wacky but he was murdering me! I got rocked in that game. It was really one to remember and partially inspired me to really get an Imperial army going. These look fantastic... Can't wait to here how they perform for you in a bat-rep. Great stuff bud keep it up