News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pt Beasts of Chaos  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
1000pt Beasts of Chaos
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Greatfray: Gavespawn

Beastlord w/Mutating Gnarlblade(s) (General: Unraveling Aura)
Bray Shaman (Tendrils of Atrophy)

20 Ungors w/Ungor Blades, Shields
20 Bestigors

10 Centigors
1 Chaos Spawn

Ghorgon

Endless Spell: Ravening Direflock

The plan is (loosely) to use the Ungors to screen the Bestigors, Ambush with the Centigors, and have the Beastlord and Ghorgon mess up anything big and scary. The Chaos Spawn is there to unlock the Gavespawn's cool command ability and I suppose can serve to support units in combat. Not married to the spell choice for the Bray Shaman, but otherwise this looks like a fun starter army.

Thoughts?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1000pt Beasts of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
I think this looks like a very fun list :). I'm not a Gavespawn fan all that much, but only because the playstyle of the Dark Walkers / All Herd appeal to me much more. I still think they're worth their salt though.

I haven't looked at the Beastlord all that much, but that's because I require a Tzaangor shaman for my own list and he's already expensive enough :P. He seems like a solid choice that will combo with the Gavespawn rules pretty well though.

I really like the choice of Tendrils of Atrophy on the Bray Shaman, just seems like a go-to choice to take against armies with formidable saves.

Keep us informed on how the Ungors w/ blades works out for you. Would like to know how you feel about them after a game or two. Though they seem solid for a screen unit. Are you also going to be doing any sacrificial summoning in this list?

20 Besitgors, nuff said about that! Solid unit for the points, I think they'll serve you quite well!

The centigors seem like a decent light Calvary unit and I agree with you that they'll be able to toss their weight around in the flanks of pinned down units or upon light infantry / skirmishers.

I like the addition of the Ghorgon, the wound bracket combined with the 5+ save worries me a little, but having just one in a 1000 point game I think would be sufficient.

Haven't bought any of the units myself or played against them, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :). Just my thoughts!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
Using the Gavespawn Artefact on the Beastlord makes him every bit as deadly as a Ghorgon in close combat, except he doesn't degrade. Which is HUGE. One of the major reasons I decided to go Gavespawn (though their Command Ability to use the spawn to buff everyone is also amazing).

I don't own the models yet, but I've run a few test games with this. I've been pleased with its performance. I don't know how much summoning I'm going to manage in a game this small (same goes with every army, I'd bet), but so far the Ungors have been quite useful as a screen, as an objective grabber, or as something to swamp the enemy. I have to perform a comparative test with them using spears, just to see, but so far I've found them to be totally reasonable. But of course these are only test games--me, a novice, playing against myself on a map program--but I think the results suggest this is workable, at least.

The one thing that *hasn't* impressed me has been the Great Bray Shaman. The Ravening Direflock is sort of lame and I'm always finding that he's *just* out of range to make much use of his spells. Do you guys usually run your fragile wizards right up near the front lines? Because if he wants to use his spells, he *really* needs to be up there. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:29:00 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:02:02 AM »
For the direflocks, you can always just move a unit at it after you summon it, to move the model 3d6". That's nothing to scoff at.

Typically though, spells are hard to get off turn 1, for the most part. Unless the spell range is super far, or you have the spell portals summoned. But, screens are good for keeping the wizards safe. In some missions, you need to pump your wizards forward to claim objectives. I always run my wizards forwards, as most abilities are 18" range. 

I think the horn is a fantastic spell, especially if cast t1, as the range can really snowball, and getting -1 to hit on your guys is ace.

For Gravespawn, I expect the +1 attack ability will be FAQ'd, as it's a bit crazy right now, ha ha.

Sounds like you have the good idea of the army though.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
The mitigating factors for the +1 hit thing is the need for a spawn, or so it seems.

Hard to keep your guys close to a critter with random movement.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
The mitigating factors for the +1 hit thing is the need for a spawn, or so it seems.

Hard to keep your guys close to a critter with random movement.

It's not that hard, to be honest, as you can spread units out. It is too powerful of an ability, especially with command point regeneration. I expect in two weeks, or whenever the FAQ comes out, it'll be changed so no unit can be effected more than once.

If you want to hear some good thoughts on beasts of Chaos, I recommend listening to the Honest Wargamer review of the tome. They have a really good understanding of the game. They do have a tournament competitive mindset, so keep that in mind.

« Last Edit: October 1, 2018, 12:18:35 PM by Irisado »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
The unit has to stay *wholly within* 12", though. So, like, not *that* easy, I'd think. At least not with a big unit.

Thanks for the link! I don't really do podcasts, unfortunately, but I'll try to check it out at some point.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:13:22 PM by Wyddr »