News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau snipers FTW 1850  (Read 1781 times)

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
Tau snipers FTW 1850
« on: April 5, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »
dual cad tau
2x ethereal, 2 marker drone 148
3x 10 kroot, krootox, sniper rounds 285
1x 12 fire warriors, emp 119
2x 1 piranha 80
piranha, fusion, disruption pod 65
2x 9 sniper drones, 3 marksmen 348
2x 6 sniper drones, 2 marksmen 232
2x 2x broadside, rail and plasma, target lock, ewo 320
aegis quad autocannon 100

allied officio assassinorum
vindicare 150

==1850==

I think 14 marker lights are enough for the list. I also think that you need an aegis and some broadsides. Also those piranhas have inordinate amount of firepower to add to the list. Anything that moves within 24" of the drones will die ... wraiths, wolves, anything, as they get [more shots, wound well, and have better BS]. Send in your decurion wraiths.

The ethereals have three uses:
-Storm of Fire means a potential 90 sniper shots - yes that is 108 sniper shots within 24". This also grants the FW extra shots too. At 15" they get 33 shots. WTF - that is 138 shots at a high BS.
-Ethereals can grant [a survivability bonus]
-Ethereals can [do so much to help nearby units from fleeing].

One thing that is useful to note is that many lists rely on a character to buff or a character to cast psychic spells. Sniper lists are great counters for those type of lists and this list has potential alpha strike capacity.

The vindicare and emp on the fire warriors are late additions to handle IKs monoliths and other AV14. It became aware that there was just not enough heavy AT. One Eye Open stings like a be-atch so place the assassin carefully. They have range, infiltrate and 4++ so it should not be a problem.

And finally .. piranhas have jink. Sniper teams have stealth. Kroot have steath (forests if there are any). Aegis provides cover. So the list is not that easy to kill.

I removed some copyright information from this post.  It's okay to provide a description of why you're taking a unit and how it helps your army, describing in detail what gear/units/etc does is something that Games Workshop flips out about, sues websites, and gets places shut down for.  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: April 6, 2015, 03:18:48 AM by Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof) »
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Tau snipers FTW 1850
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
Hmmm...I don't know about this. I mean, sniper weapons just aren't as good as basic pulse rifles *unless* shooting at T6+, and how often does that happen in large numbers? As for picking off psykers, the unreliability of Precision Shot combined with the reliability of Look Out Sir makes it a pretty ineffective tactic, especially when considering that *most* psykers have more than one wound.

Final critique: This list has extremely limited antitank options. 3 Krootox, 4 Railrifles, 1 Fusion Blaster, and the Vindicare is pretty light for 1850.

I think the efficacy of this list depends largely on the metagame. If you play a lot of high-toughness infantry or monsters and not very many vehicles, then you can make this work. In general, I've found sniper weapons not useful enough to take more than 1-2 groups of them.