News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt Eldar army  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Drizzle

1000 pt Eldar army
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:25 PM »
I recently played against this Eldar army at my local store, and am curious as to its level of competitive dificulty. I have never beaten the eldar, and usually get spanked, but I did fairly well against this opponent. I have a big tourney coming up against a great eldar player, and am wondering if this level of opponent would be a good one to practice with. I'm not sure of all the points values, but it should all add up to 1000.

HQ
Farseer- Fortune, Guide

Elites
5 Harlequins- all will Harlequin Kisses
goes in the Falcon

Fast Attack
3 Shining Spears w/Exarch- 1 Shuriken Catapult
(I don't know what gear his exarch had, I only know he rolled separately for some reason)

Troops
3 Guardian Jetbikes- Shuriken Cannon
3 Guardian Jetbikes- Shuriken Cannon

Heavy Support
5 Dark Reapers w/Exarch - Exarch had "Fast Shot"
Falcon - I believe Scatter laser/Shuriken cannon
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but only Chaos gives you eyes inside your mouth.
I also do agree with Sanctjud with what he is saying.

A typo, sure, but still eerily accurate...
(Sentinels are) "A heavy weapons team on stilts and raped in plywood" if you were.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 1000 pt Eldar army
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »
I would say that the list you showed is about average for local play, under par for tournies.... Don't expect a solid Tournie list to have such things as 5 Harlies when it could have 6 (shadowseer and 6 kisses) to hit even harder. Also you should certainly expect the guys that consider Escalation, etc so they have an Autarch, or a seriously Bad-ass Farseer, not a half way one. The JB squads are pretty standard (although they are not the best, min/max is not as strong as it could be). And Finally if you had trouble with his Falcon, then expect 2 of them in Tourny, or Wraithlords, etc.

Like I said, the list is decent, but far from Tourney ready.

CaHG

I have no problem with you using that list for critique or anything. The only issue is, it's not mine. It was a list of one of my opponents, and he seems to favor that hit-and-run style. I can give you a rundown of how HE used things, but i'm not sure if that's exactly what youre looking for.

The Farseer fortunes and guides the Avatar and Dark Reapers respectively- usually they are deployed centrally, rather close to one another. The guardians he spreads a bit throughout the board, but he keeps them back and out of sight first turn (and subsequently, if possible) and uses them only for shuriken cannon fire. The falcon usually is deployed alone on one flank and it tries to hit a weak point after turboboosting, deploying the harlequins in the next turn to (hopefully) win and get away. Shining spears seem a sort of "suicide unit", turboboosting along a flank until it can hit a heavy support on the charge, wiping it out. He then uses it as a harasser until it is inevitably killed.

Judging from his playstyle, I see this list evolving along pretty much the same lines- Falcons used more as transports than as tanks, hardhitting but non-tarpitting units, lots of jetbikes and an avatar holding his center.

I hope this has been helpful in some way

- Drizzle

Thank for the update and on with the rating.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Although there is some rear/side shot potential and a little actual anti-tank, overall this department is, Below Average (.4)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: With the Ap=3 and better weapons, Rending, high Str shooting and attack, etc; this department was actually pretty well covered, Good (.8 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Certainly could get overrun; but its speed could certainly help prevent that as well as its ability to pin point strike, yet I still feel that this department is about, Average (.6)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: There is plenty of variety in its ranged firepower, so this department is , Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: 1K with 2 very fast, hard hitting, dedicated assault units and some excellent potential for assists is actually, Excellent (1)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 7 Scoring Units at 1K is, Very Good (.9)
7.. Durability or Resilience: The min/max factor can pull this either way (depending on terrain, etc) but overall this department has the potential to be, Good (.8 )
8.. Flexability: Its speed helps, as well as some  of the combo's; but its seriously predictable and will almost always work in a very simular manner, thus its just, Average (.6)
9.. Mission Capabiliy: Things like Escalation, and spacific Missions would certainly make things difficult for this list, so this department is Slightly Below Average (.5)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: I like the concept, but this list really needs a higher points level to make it truely com into its own, and I have seen it done much better so this department is, Slightly Below Average (.5)

Rating = 7/10 Others may score it differently; but this list almost looks tailored for spacific uses. And I feel that it may be efective for a run; but smart opponents will understand how to crack it and they will shut it down Hard.

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:32:05 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »
This list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project, even though it isn't yours, for the reasons outlined by Moc above. It will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. The critique will be given as though it had been posted by its owner. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: 0
There's no real background info offered for the reader to understand the army, so it largely becomes a matter of guessing. Also, the missing points costs makes it difficult to gauge how the force is allocated as well as masking any potential room for adding units. The list on the whole is difficult to gauge for effectiveness as a result, but it is also hard to offer useful advice and suggestions as nothing is known about this "mystery army." This is why it is important to make this info known.

Composition: 0
Very light on troops choices, mostly because the list is so heavy on the top and bottom. Two powerful support units as HQs that don't have a whole lot to support, and are likely unnecessary. Little available in the way of effective AT weaponry, and also very little to handle some of the more hardcore 1k horde lists. This list is left beating up MEQs and playing VP denial due to its lack of capability in other arenas. With a huge amount of points invested in 7 models that will probably be in the open [or 13 wounds, if you prefer], I think this serves as a good example of poor comp, especially with no theme or explanation as to why these choices were made. It's like a symphony played by an orchestra comprised of random instruments, all of them loud but nothing to hold a rhythm.

Utility: .5
The elements of this army that aren't set in stone tend towards minimal upgrades, though I'll assume the Falcon probably has a survivability option. The list is really no help; without the points costs it is impossible to know for certain if the upgrades listed account for all of the upgrades [and no defensive options on a grav tank is not the way to increase a utility score!]. Given the uncertainty, I can only award half a point for what feels like an attempt at minimal upgrading but falls short.

Flexibility: 0
Most of these units are limited to performing one specific task. The harlies will assault their target of choice, and if lucky be able to continue assaulting other units. The spears lack much in the way of support. The Avatar is easily avoided in the back lines, the reapers decrease in impact vs non-MEQ targets, and the bikes are limited to harrassment. Some sort of plan could pull these separate entities together, but since that is also not present, it looks like this list is waiting to fall apart at the seams. The units will be forced to perform in their one role and be incapable of altering their function because they lack support.

Ingenuity: 0
This section is so conspicuously absent it needs no explanation, but the problem is aggravated due to the need for a solid plan if this list is to function. This list is a good example of how a lack of description on strategy for an army list can turn a collection of solid units into a weak list, where many of the elements might normally be considered strong.

Total Score: .5
Primarily this score is the result of reviewing a list that was not presented with a request for a critique. This list is also an example of why it is important to explain oneself when generating an army list. It is impossible for others to know what the creator of the army list had in mind when he built it if this information is not included.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2008, 11:18:30 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »
Hey guys, I don't know if you caught this or not, but Drizzle was not posting his own list.  He was posting a list he played against and asking if it was a good example of the level of competition he would face from Eldar players in a tournament environment.  That said, do we really want to add this to the Big List project?
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
I did catch this, the reason I posted it intot he project is because it shows how certain things are weak at low lever levels that can turn into monsters at higher levels (synergy). It also shows how Min/Max is one way to get lots of Scoring Units; but lets you see close up how week those Scoring units may be.

And yes I know that all the points and upgrades are not listed; but once again, people do this on a regular basis and they should see how this doesn't help others. I pm'd Drizz;e before I added it, and made sure things were covered; and I feel that this will become a good case for a list to get swapped out as better examples appear; but for now, I would like to retain it.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
Okay, that being the case:

This space is reserved to rate this list as part of the "Big List" Eldar Project.

;)
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.