News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dealing with Flyers  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Dealing with Flyers
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 02:39:33 AM »
In defense of differences, Emplaced Weapons are those physically *built in* to the fortification in question.  They can be destroyed by damage to the building itself.
Weapon Emplacements are weapons bought (typically) in conjunction with a fortification, but are *stand alone* weapons platforms.  The rules are found under Battlefield Debris - and in fact it is fully possible to have a Weapon Emplacement on its own in the middle of the battlefield - whoever gets to it gets to use it, and it grants cover.  It has *its own profile*, and can be shot/assaulted *separately* from anything else.

These two things *are* different - they have different rules.  Period.  Emplaced weapons can not be manually fired via FAQ, but can auto-fire.  Weapon Emplacements *do not* have an auto-fire mode, but we're not restricted from using them manually.  So go build yourself a Niddy defense line.

That aside... what we have in the book...

Vector Strikes at S6
Full Hive Guard squads
Telekenesis powers (largely on broods of 'thropes to maximize the 2/5 effective powers)
Brainleech worms

None of these are stellar, but each gives at least a moderate chance of a glance.  Pure gunships (ie, the ones that don't need to Hover for a turn to drop off cargo) are already giving up a couple turns of shooting via reserves and movement restrictions, leaving them more limited than people realize.

The best part?  Who doesn't already tote Hive Guard?  Dakkafexes/Tyrants, and some doods with Wings aren't bad options in general. 

Yes, other people can ally in Hydras, which they are likely to do... and then those Hydras will never touch us because all we have to do is *not* Fly with a Tyrant and it can only Snap Fire.  Waste of points much?
Powers are only swapped after you've seen your opponent, so if you don't need anti-flyer, take other powers on your 'thrope (or other bugs).  We don't have anything to straight drop them by the dozen, but should we?  What would the point be if we could just snap our fingers and make them fall?

Khira'lyth
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:12:45 AM by Khira'lyth »

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: August 7, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
Just wanted to clarify something

It is "emplaced weapons"

and "gun emplacements"

The 2 things have 2 different rules as detailed on page 96 and 105 respectively.

Further more the FAQ specifies that tyranids cannot manual fire the "emplaced weapons" with no mention of "gun emplacements" this means that you can fire the Icarus lascannon and quad gun when bouthg for an aegis line or bastion.

HOWEVER!

If you buy a Fortress of redemption you cannot manual fire the las cannon or missile silo but you  must still automatically fire them as per the rules.

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #42 on: August 8, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
Winged Tyranid monsterous critters gain no benifit against skyfire shooting by not swooping.  (or more simply, the Skyfire rule allows shots at flying monsterous critters, not swooping flying monsterous critters.)

still, I think that list is frightfully complete for our options.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #43 on: August 9, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that Focused Witchfire powers don't need to roll to hit. Beams, Novas and Maelstroms all specifically say that they do not need to roll to hit, but Focused Witchfire powers say that they work exactly like normal Witchfire powers, with the exception of the potential to target a specific model, and thus they need to roll to hit, so no auto hitting with Crush. You're probably better off keeping the Warp Lance at that point.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Whilst I realise it's not an especially...afford able...option, having just read Imperial Armour Aeronautica, I can confirm that the new king of tyranid air superiority is the Harridan. Anything which can vector strike at S10 is going to clear the skies double-quick.

Yes, I'm aware it's an umpty-ump point gargantuan creature, but even so, holy god that's lethal.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline 40kash1986

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Daemons
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
So Winged Hive Tyrant with the telekinesis powers maybe worth it?

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
Whilst I realise it's not an especially...afford able...option, having just read Imperial Armour Aeronautica, I can confirm that the new king of tyranid air superiority is the Harridan. Anything which can vector strike at S10 is going to clear the skies double-quick.

Yes, I'm aware it's an umpty-ump point gargantuan creature, but even so, holy god that's lethal.
There is that, and the multiple shots from the bio-cannons now.  (I finally got my book in today)  However, between being an Apoc model, and extremely expensive, I just can't see it as a viable model to field.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk