News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Video Batrep - 30k Custodes & Death Guard vs Word Bearers & 1k Sons 5000pts  (Read 1573 times)

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
WARHAMMER 30K 5000pts Custodes & Death Guard vs Word Bearers & 1k sons - YouTube

Hi, hope you enjoy this batrep, comments and criticism always welcome.

This is the last of a backlog of footage I had before I can implement some of the suggestions I've gotten while filming:
- Get footage of an army list or something other than the current 5+ minutes verbal intro (excluded from this video altogether)
- Keep mic (camera) close to speakers
- Recap player turns for the first couple turns to catch more action?
- Get some crucial and LOTSOFDICE rolls on camera to spice it up

Also some suggestions I've been implementing in the editing process:
- Shorter intro clip (the one with the music and b-roll and snow/rain); took it from ~90s to ~60s
- Lower music volume
- Different music (tried some epic stuff here)

Thanks for watching!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Without being rude this video isn't up to the standard of the previous ones.

The change to the intro music is very good and I like the choice of music. It reminds me of the Game of Thrones intro music so that can't be a bad thing.

The volume of the background music is better than the last video and helps make the music bearable. I think you could get a way with a slight increase in volume if you wanted.

Your normal erudite commentary is a bit hesitant in this video and this is made to stand out more by all of the questions that you ask the other players. The end result is a very confused commentary.

Having the scores summed up at the end does't make for interesting video footage in my opinion.

Several of the turn recaps start with everyone talking at the same time. This takes the attention away from the main commentary so I think you need to be wary of this.

I find people chiming in with little comments or talking in the background to be quite off-putting as it spoils the flow of your commentary.

To be honest bossoodfox this video comes across as a bit rushed and I get the impression that you were trying to film it and not piss off the players whilst you were filming.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:22:35 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Bottom line up front:
Thanks for the honest look and comments, and I readily agree with your critiques. The thing I was happiest with on this video was the length, only 15mins.  I think it's the sweetspot for this batrep style/format. Made possible by omission of the long intro.

Details:
This video was less professional that previous ones for reasons that you mention.

In addition, there is no mission intro / army intro clip.  I removed it altogether in editing since it was quite long. 

*Note* This was the last video that I had in my backlog or queue from which the footage originated prior to some of your suggestions such as:
(A) getting shots of the list or an overlay with the list rather than long army intro and
(B) truncating mission intro section.  I just want to point out that I didn't ignore that stuff and I appreciate you taking the time to close the feedback loop.

I gave the video another watch after reading your critiques and there was much more chatter, interjections and the like, than in previous videos.

Your normal erudite commentary is a bit hesitant in this video and this is made to stand out more by all of the questions that you ask the other players. The end result is a very confused commentary.

Several of the turn recaps start with everyone talking at the same time. This takes the attention away from the main commentary so I think you need to be wary of this.

I find people chiming in with little comments or talking in the background to be quite off-putting as it spoils the flow of your commentary.

To be honest bossoodfox this video comes across as a bit rushed and I get the impression that you were trying to film it and not piss off the players whilst you were filming.

This is correct. Solution is basically just "be better" on my part.
- Wait to push record until conversations leftover from the previous turn have concluded.
- Return to first-person-only narrative and refrain from questions during recap, as well as pauses which may incur interruption.  If they occur simply plow ahead.
- More effort to remember what happened during the turn in order to summarize quicker and avoid the need to ask players. Sometimes I forget to remember!
- Do better.

Having the scores summed up at the end does't make for interesting video footage in my opinion.

True, I got this suggestion elsewhere as well, and will include a score overlay at the end in future.

Cheers Alienscar, thanks.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
- Return to first-person-only narrative and refrain from questions during recap, as well as pauses which may incur interruption. 

Not quite as clear cut as that bosswoodfox. In the second video that you posted, Pat (I think) joined in and this wasn't so bad. In this video though it is the amount of questions and the unrelated background chatter that is at fault.

So first-person narrative is better in my opinion but a few questions once in a while is also okay. Just not every turn or multiple times in a turn.

- More effort to remember what happened during the turn in order to summarize quicker and avoid the need to ask players.

As I have commented before your commentary and tone of voice is brilliant and that is why in this video the difference was so noticeable. Maybe the game being a four player game made it too difficult for you to remember everything that had occurred.

True, I got this suggestion elsewhere as well, and will include a score overlay at the end in future.

No need for a score overlay it is fine to include the final results in your video but do all the adding up off camera.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline bosswoodfox

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
OK, understand all, on the same page.  Got good notes/ lessons learned to review before the next game so I can carry some of these suggestions forward.  Thanks Bro.