News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63310 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2017, 05:04:24 AM »
Thanks dude! No it's all my own writing :) that's one of the things I enjoy the most about putting these together, writing little snippets of fluff to bring them to life and get the cogs whirring ;)

I shall! Neat idea about intimidation factor ;) I'll see if I can put that into practice ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
The trick, Ynneadwraith, is to be loud and boastful on the weaker units. then quiet and sneaky on the strong.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
Looking sweet! I love how these guys look like they are ALMOST Daemonettes. Love the modelling as always, particularly the whip woman! I wouldn't change anything on the model. When she's in a squad of more "Eldar" looking models she'll blend right in. I think she looks suitably Eldar anyway.

Love the paint job on the top guy. Nice job with the skin tone, and nice choice of colors too. Keep it up bud, great stuff as always!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
@Saim Dann Aha, clever ;) shall bear that in mind

@Cavalier Glad i've got the 'almost daemonette' look right ;) that's what i was going for!

@Everybody You know one of the best things about my Croneworlders? Dead quick to paint ;)

Also, had a go at a daemonette-clawed croneworlder :)

Tried to echo the frankly beautiful Juan Diaz daemonettes slightly :) not sure how much i've actually captured as mine doesn't look nearly sultry enough, but i'm still pleased :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »
Yeeeees!
Your colour choices definitely suit the magic of your modelling, Ynneadwraith. You are going to intimidate a lot of opponents when you start rolling the dice.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2017, 06:56:29 AM »
Hell yeah! These are looking fantastic. Loving the paint work bud! These would be perfect for that Croneworld mission in Gathering Storm II! Now get to that hobby store and make it happen. While you are at convert up a Croneworld table! Chop chop! lol Just kidding. Great stuff man so happy you are painting up more and more  ;D ;D ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
Thanks guys :) really glad you like them :)

I have had some neat ideas for Croneworld terrain. Mostly arou d sticking little purple/pink LEDs in stuff so it gives everything a sort of pinkish tint to it, lit by an alien sun :)

Post Merge: May 22, 2017, 07:59:50 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Static grass finally arrived!

The twisted herald moved its head ponderously side-to-side as it surveyed the ruined battlefield ahead, its tattered antlers lending inertia to its movements. Ragged were its breaths as it tasted the metallic tang of blood in the air. Its interest piqued by a scent lingering in the air it strode languidly through the corpses. Despite its mutations, it had lost none of the grace with which the Eldar are blessed. A characteristic thrown into sharp relief by the discordant metallic scrape of its blade dragging across the flagstones.

Reaching its quarry, it unfurled an elongated forearm towards the wounded Guardian below, caressing its spattered cheek. "You are not long for this world," the herald spoke, it's voice a deathbed whisper, so hoarse it was barely audible. "This need not be the end, my child. Come. Be with Mother Isha. She waits for you."

First attempt at weathering :) what do you think? I tried for a sort of osteoporosis style gradual decay of his wraithbone armour.

Heorulf, Astartes of the Death Guard is done too :)

Part of the background for him is that he's a first generation Terran-born Marine. As the Dusk Raiders were initially recruited from 'the warlike clans of Old Albia', so I figured it'd be fitting to give him an Anglo-Saxon name :)

I am slightly regretting doing the tentacles in red rather than green. I've done enough red on my other models, and green just feels more Nurgly. Too scared to do it though as with the thick gloss layer I'd probably lose all the detail repainting. Does the red look out of place?

The other thing I tried to do was paint his armour in the same scheme as the pre-Heresy Death Guard, but all beaten up, decayed and mutated. It never quite made sense to me for the Traitor Legions to flee to the eye, and then decide to spend their first days lovingly repainting their armour. Especially the Death Guard. Have a similar idea for a World Eater working on the bit of fluff that they never repainted their armour, they just haven't cleaned off the layers of dried blood ;)

Lastly, I've got a bit of headcanon that the Chaos Gods didn't really just pop into existence in the form they are now. More that they were pre-existing unaligned or benevolent warp deities who were warped and twisted by the horrors and suffering unleashed during the descent of the 40k universe from 'tolerable' to 'grimdark'.

I reckon Nurgle began life as a fertility god. A god of the harvest. A god of the spring solstice and renewal following winter. Over the millennia, the horrific acts of the races of the early history of the 40k galaxy twisted him into the plagued nightmare he is today. However, little hints still show through of his origins. Wherever he touches the materium, life blossoms. Sure it's horrific and diseased, but it's life nonetheless. That's why the Blightdar have got little wells of foetid water welling up from beneath their feet, and the grass where that water touches is beginning to green again.

As part of a wider plot point, the desert worlds of Selesti where all of my Eldar (and my Knight Worlders and other dudes) are situated used to be verdant worlds. They were invaded by Nurgle and their ecologies irrevocably changed by his presence. Nurgle was eventually driven from the sector after much bloodshed, leaving desert worlds where life barely clung onto existence in his wake. However, the point being that it wasn't Nurgle's presence that caused the ecological collapse, but his absence. He's a fertility god. By driving him away, the lands fell into barren desert.

Little musings to keep me amused at work at any rate ;) shot of the two together for anyone who made it through that particular ramble!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:59:50 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #287 on: May 24, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
Really nice work Ynnead. The antler guy is absolutley killer. Again Blanche level worthiness my friend. These would be great in an RPG game too! I heard rumors 40k RPG's were inbound... anyway killer work bud.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #288 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
That was a hoot to read, Ynneadwraith!
You have a rich and vast imagination. The weathering looks great and really suits your style. The camera likes the red tentacles up close, mate. How does it look when on the table? Couldn't help but smile with your thoughts on not red armour but dried blood... Niiiiice! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #289 on: May 24, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »
Thanks guys! Really glad you like them :)

@Cav Ooh a 40k RPG i'd be interested in :) i've actually been brainstorming a sort of add-on for Shadow War to make it more of a toolboxy thing for you to create all kinds of weird fluffy warbands and play skirmish-level gaming with them :) i'll share it here as soon as i've got some of the kinks ironed out. I'd kill for some playtesters ;)

@Saim-dann Glad it's useful for something other than keeping me up at night! ;)

I really like how the tentacles look on isolation, but they realy draw the eye away from anything else near them. Not just on the death guard guy, but when he's next to the Herald. Seeing as i can't think of anything on the herald to brighten up, i'm thinking it might be necessary to tone them down a little...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #290 on: May 24, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
I wouldn't tone him down, Ynneadwraith! Use him as a distraction in gaming. If the bright red is taking your opponents eye away from other units, that's a good thing... For you, not them.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #291 on: May 28, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
@Saim-Dann Not a bad idea ;)

Another update too :) finished two more Croneworlders. The claw daemonette cultist:

And the Croneweaver from ages ago :)

I've tried to make the Croneweaver's robes look grubby and tattered as the fluff for them is that they were the priests and priestesses of Morai Heg, and are kept alive and forced to serve Slaanesh as a sort of cruel joke. I've got two options for that actually, but not sure which to go for. Which of these two ideas do people think's better?

1. The Priests of Morai-Heg are kept as playthings of Slaanesh as a taunt that for all of her wisdom Morai-Heg couldn't see Slaanesh coming.
2. The Priests of Morai-Heg did see Slaanesh coming, but thought she was going to be their saviour. Eldar God born during their longest period of peace and prosperity, prophesised to kill Khaine who had sparked a war by trying to genocide the Eldar? What's not to like? So, they actively worked to blind their God by feeding her false prophesies, fearful of her interference as she was Khaine's consort. As Slaanesh was born and the true horror of her nature was discovered, the Croneseers tried in vain to undo their work, for which Slaanesh has condemned them to live eternally in her service.

Perhaps both :) why not?

Either way, they've been cursed with hunched and wisened frames, and drab, dirty vestments. An insult for such a proud and vain race as the Eldar.

And here's the pleasure cult as it stands now :) 6 models strong. Slaanesh's sacred number :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
G'day Ynneadwraith!
Unfortunately Your images didn't come up. It maybe on my end, I'm not sure. I have about as much IT Knowledge as my left nostril.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #293 on: May 28, 2017, 10:49:45 PM »
I can see them on my end and they're looking appropriately disturbing. As for the back story, #2 for sure. A slaanesh plaything would need to be more about excess beauty, vanity, pride, etc. The seer looks old and decrepit, as a crone should.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #294 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »
awesome work again.

Ever notice your thread is like a decent into chaos, starts with a nice clean custom Autarch and now it swimming in daemon cultists lol.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2017, 02:28:34 AM »
I see them now...
WOW! I'd say they look great, but I don't think that's what your going for. Agree with DoW. #2 for sure.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Thanks guys! Number 2 it is ;)

Hah you're right it is like a descent into chaos worship ;) Craftworld->Corsair->Dark Eldar->Chaos Cultists

Those Dark Eldar are a gateway drug i'm sure ;)

Oh, i thought it'd be good to share the piece of artwork that inspired all of these guys :) alas i don't know who did it, but whoever you are thanks!

Hopefully i've done it justice :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »
Pointy ears? Blessed hell! That's pointy everything. The creator of this piece will be chuffed when he/she sees what you've done to carry on his/her work, Ynneadwraith.   

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
Good stuff! I mist try and track down the artist and let them know :)

Oh, one last update from the bank holiday weekend here. Stripped and repainted the Death Guard's tentacles as i just wasn't happy with the red.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
Aww man! I liked the red Ynnead! It really reminded me of the color pallet that a lot of the Japanese "creature-core" modelers and sculptors use. Really grimy dirty bone with splashes of gory red thrown in there to get a really revolting clash of colors. Dang! It still looks good but I really liked that!