News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Terrain/Buildings how big to make them?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Terrain/Buildings how big to make them?
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2017, 07:20:53 AM »
hmm OK, any one used this lichen stuff before? should it wrap all the way around the base or more sporadic?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Yeah just go sporadic with it. Its looking great so far! Check out Scorpion82 on youtube. He's got some videos about setting up terrain that should give you some ideas of how to balance it. Good luck bud it looks great!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
Depends the look you're going for. I've used it sporadically for kind of a tumbleweed affect, but my terrain is more post-apocalyptic, barren landscapes. If you're going more of a jungle or forested theme than I would layer them and even stack for a little bit of height.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #23 on: September 3, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
I find that the best way to use lichen on terrain is to vary it.  Have some larger clumps interspersed with sporadic patches.  This gives the impression of the lichen growing to encompass more areas of the earth or engulfing some of the vines.  How you've modelled it so far is looking good.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #24 on: September 3, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
G'day Magenb! Happy Fathers Day!!
Your Terrain is coming along nicely, mate. Your sculpting skills are matching your painting.

To throw in my two cents worth on the size of a piece, size doesn't matter as long as it has a purpose. The largest pieces of terrain I have will block line of sight, but also can be fought upon/amongst, (Litter the blessed thing with stairs).

The cheapest place to collect clear plastic sheeting is your local sign writing business. They will have truck loads of off cuts, from their light box signs, that they'll be throwing out anyway.

Luke Towan has a Utube channel that shows you how to build truly realistic trees on a budget. Hope any of that helps, Magenb. This table is going to be amazing when you've finished... Be well! 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
So the misses turned some of my OT into some laser cut MDF terrain :)

Here is the mob that make them -> https://www.miniaturescenery.com/

Here's a size comparison

You just push the parts out of the pre-cut mdf, tiny bit of clean up from where its still joined. Might see if I can find some more plastic gems that I used on my tower though.

Seems you can connect the walk way to the tower thing as well, could work as a bridge on its own too.

Both together were cheaper than the Eldritch ruins, so seems like good value so far.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #26 on: September 8, 2017, 03:29:32 AM »
G'day Magenb!
Thank you so much for the heads up, mate. Have had an Eldar table design running around in my head for quite some time now. This will make it sooooo much easier/quicker. Your blue piece looks like it could have come from this mob as well... Be well!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #27 on: September 8, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
cheers Saim-dann.

Here is a quick pic as a test build, you can rotate the walk way platforms rather well and it looks like you don't have to glue them in one shape, even the steps for the walk way can be disconnected. I hope to finish the blue tower while waiting for the undercoat to dry.

If you're trying to make a game board, Bunnings have a number of different mdf/particleboard/etc boards in 900 x 600, its a good size as they are easy to pack away and not too hard to fit in the car to get home to start with :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #28 on: September 9, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
Hi, Magenb!
Thanks for the advice, mate. It's great news that everything is adjustable. Your table is going to look amaaaaazing... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 02:49:03 AM »
Progress update, still more clean up work and some more gems to go on, but the basics are done.

If you are going to leave the walk way configurable rather than glued fixed position, then you'll need to have something on the feet to balance them out, right now it is to easy to nock and have things fall all over the place.

I was trying to make some cloth banners to hang from the two towers, but the first round did not turn out so well.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »
Wooooow!
Your pointy ears are going to look, Micky Mouse strutting around on these pieces, Magenb.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
WOW! Super, super nice Mage. Think it looks great in your Corsair colors. Fantastic work bud. Good call on the gems, they sure add a lot. Looking really great. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
If you are going to grab the walkway grab some mdf to base the legs on, its far, far more stable, yeah lots of mistakes I need to clean up still ;)

EDIT:
Quick update on what the table is starting to look like (its roughly 2 foot x 3 foot), so still need lots more terrain.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:42:04 AM by magenb »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
Looking awesome bud. Gonna be a really unique board. You know a guys serious when he's got an eldar themed board. Sick!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
You'll definitely want to build some big line of sight blockers. Those pieces look great, but they wont block much line of sight.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »
Wow, Magenb!
They're really coming together. Your home-built piece looks as pro as the bought ones. Have you thought about building rock outcrops or grassy hills/cliffs beneath them to make them higher so as to block more line of sight.

They don't have to be glued so some games the pieces can stand on their own in a craft world. Other games have them as part of natural terrain like an Eldar settlement. Those spiral stairs, for example, could have a rock face winding-up them, giving the troop on them cover.

Just a thought... Be well!

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
These look great dude!

Love the colour scheme and the gems.

¬Morty

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
Cheers guys, I'm looking into some LOS blocking for infantry and maybe a couple of really big pieces to give large models (WraithKnight size) some cover, but I prefer boards where you need to move over different terrain types, expecially in older editions where you could draw them into terrain to slow them down, not really valid in 8th though lol. So I'm also looking into ponds and rivers, wouldn't mind turning that walk way into a bridge, but I also have to think about where I'm going to store it all lol.