News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Carnifex Configuration Thread  (Read 31299 times)

Offline TheEntity

• 40k Online *LOVES* me! :)
Re: The Carnifex Configuration Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 9, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
Id prefer scything talons to crushing claws as well partially because they look so much better  ;D
There are somethings money can buy for everything else theres theft ^_^

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #41 on: June 9, 2005, 05:38:25 PM »
I think they look sweet! Both of them.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline EvilGenki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: June 9, 2005, 11:41:21 PM »
Got m'self the battleforce today, and I must say, the carnifex is damn nice.  Not as big as I had thought, but still quite huge.  It is a smidge bigger than the new hive tyrant, and the special carnifex scything talons are even larger than that of the new monstrous creature sprue (the ones on the tyrant).  I know this probably is more appropriate in the modeling section, but I'll put some thoughts I had after assembling this beast:

It was very simple with plastic glue (polystyrene cement).  Thankfully the pieces all fit together quite nicely, just a little trimming with a sharp blade is needed to clean up the parts.  Be aware that the weight of the thorax (although it is only plastic) will cause the model to droop forward after the legs have been glued on; counter-act this by means of some support either under the chest or holding down the tail to keep the body from leaning forward and the carnifex ending up looking at the ground.  In terms of accessories, you really couldn't ask for much more.  Everything you need to make the fex you want is included, with about 6 different head variants, 3 carapaces, and every gun you would want to give it.  I chose tusked and the enhanced senses antennae for mine as I thought it looked the best.  I also put on a scythe tail even though I don't use it, just because it looks damn cool.  Furthermore I put on the thornback upgrade eventhough I don't use that just to make it look all the more impressive and formidable.  I didn't put it on as displayed in the pictures, however; I used the 6 spikes more as a set of double-row dorsal fins on the carapace, which turned out very cool looking.  I'll try to get a picture up once it's done painting.  You won't be disappointed with this model.

Offline Sun-Tzu

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 12:12:53 PM »
well heres my configuration of the fexes i use.

+1 T, +1 W, +1 BS, Twin Barbed Stranglers 168pts

ive notice everyone on the this thread always talks about CC fexes or fexes with venom cannons. but the 4 games ive played with the new nids have gone pretty well with this setup. yes ive sacrificed alot of close combat with running twin stranglers but the fex in my opinion is not really the best for cc since he has such a low I. nids have lots more options for cc monsters. the +1 T makes it harder for starcannons and other str 6 weapons  to take the fex down. i chose not to take the +1 save since most heavy weapons that are going to be shooting at you are usually ap2 anyways so it would be a waste of points. the twin linking make up for the one shot so he will be hitting most of the time. and with str 8 causing havoc on most infantry models and light vehicles and still has a chance (very slim ill admit) at glancing a raider or monolith. but thats what warp blast are for. yes the strangler does not have the punch as a venom cannon does but the points saving that your getting and the effectiveness of the template well makes up for it.
these are just my opinions. try it out sometime you just might like the combo.
100 VICTORIES IN 100 BATTLE IS NOT THE MOST SKILLFUL.

SUBDUING THE OTHER'S MILITARY WITHOUT BATTLE IS THE MOST SKILLFUL.

Offline Fat Badger

• Ya djivu v karodke
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2005, 02:02:38 PM »
Would be wonderful if you could get a different barbed stragler model.  Like 1 coming from both right hands, and the other from both left.  Would look a lil silly to be holding two stranglers on one side. 
Hard work pays off in the long run, but lazyness pays off now!

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Why is it that when a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 a minute?

Offline Black Widow DLS

• Proud member of DLS
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2005, 04:59:43 PM »
Sun Tzu, I agree with you, kinda. I agree about the fex not being that effective on cc because of his low initaive, but it actually depends on who ur fighting. A ton of Terminaters ur screwed, and other hard hitting units like that, I learned that the hard way :(
By the way: regeneration is just a waste of points, the odds of rolling a good amount of 6s is a little to low :(

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »
does the fex come with crushing claws now
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »
Regeneration works better with bonded exoskeleton, the extra wound really makes a difference. And I disagree, I get sixes quite often when rolling for regeneration, it varies. The point of regeneration is that while rolling sixes is relatively unlikely, it is infinitely more likely that you'll regenerate than if you didn't take the biomorph. Any chance is a good chance.

Carnifexes (what the hell is the plural of Carnifex anyway? Shouldn't it be something like Carnifices?) can have crushing claws, but they aren't something that it automatically has. They come in the box.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2005, 07:02:28 PM »
carnifices is right and i meant in the box so thanks
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline RampagingRavener

• Who am I? What am I doing here?
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2005, 10:23:47 AM »
He, this is my favorite Carnifex configuration. It rarely comes out due to the high points cost, but its just so funny when it hits combat.

Carnifex with Acid Maw, Adrenal Glands (WS and I), Bonded Exoskeleton, Extended carapace, Flesh Hooks, Implant Attack, Regenerate, Re-inforced Chitin, Tail scythe, ThornBack, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Tusked. Armed with Crushing Claws and Scything talons.

Total: 282 points.

He's just one big, fat linebreaker. Support him with a few gaunts (or ripper swarms, I've found rippers are excellent paired with a Carnifex), and should be tough enough to reach the enemy lines in one peice. I.ve had this guy get back to full wounds with regeneration after teetering on the brink of death twice!
Cant sleep...gaunts'll eat me...Cant sleep...gaunts'll eat me...

Offline Black Widow DLS

• Proud member of DLS
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
He, this is my favorite Carnifex configuration. It rarely comes out due to the high points cost, but its just so funny when it hits combat.

Carnifex with Acid Maw, Adrenal Glands (WS and I), Bonded Exoskeleton, Extended carapace, Flesh Hooks, Implant Attack, Regenerate, Re-inforced Chitin, Tail scythe, ThornBack, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Tusked. Armed with Crushing Claws and Scything talons.

Total: 282 points.

He's just one big, fat linebreaker. Support him with a few gaunts (or ripper swarms, I've found rippers are excellent paired with a Carnifex), and should be tough enough to reach the enemy lines in one peice. I.ve had this guy get back to full wounds with regeneration after teetering on the brink of death twice!
Sounds sweet, but I am not sure if you can give him all of those head upgrades, it would kinda defeat the perpose of choosing which head - but it would look pretty kickass head  8) ::) :o

Offline RampagingRavener

• Who am I? What am I doing here?
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »
Yea, its possible. You can give a fex all the head upgrades if you want.

But, where we play, WYSIWYG is pretty much ignored. If you want to put together a model so it looks good but not WYSIWYG, its fine as long as you tell your opponent what it has before the battle. I'm going to put the tusks onto the Acid maw head, just because it looks nice, and its a simple conversion.
Cant sleep...gaunts'll eat me...Cant sleep...gaunts'll eat me...

Offline Twistedstorytella (the 3rd)

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »
man i wouldnt bother wasting points on regenerate....i mean you have to roll a six to get a wound back!! i thought it was like the OOE rules where it automatically regenerates a wound or like its on a 4+......but to roll a six....in my case thats jus too hard :(
Mr. Freeze: "A jazz dancer comin to a bboy audition, you know, just cuz he could do those continuous backspins, which the commercial public knows as windmills, doesn't mean that he's a bboy, he's just an idiot that learned how to spin on his back."

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2005, 02:30:16 PM »
man i wouldnt bother wasting points on regenerate....i mean you have to roll a six to get a wound back!! i thought it was like the OOE rules where it automatically regenerates a wound or like its on a 4+......but to roll a six....in my case thats jus too hard :(

Not true, Regenerate isn't as good as it first appears, however if you want a mega-tough fex and intend to have a very expensive one it's pretty good. It also scares people knowing that a Fex can regenerate so they may do one of two things: Ignore it, leavign it free to cause havoc to it's hearts content, or unload everythign they have on it, resulting in it potentially saving the rest of your army from fire.

Couple it with Bonded Exoskeleton and Reinforced Chitin and you have one tough Fex.

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Twistedstorytella (the 3rd)

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2005, 02:41:57 PM »
Quote from: Makenshi, The White Cloud link
Not true, Regenerate isn't as good as it first appears

wait.....but i was saying in my last post that it wasnt good........its bad for me because i never make those important rolls! lol  but everything else u said i agree with ;D
Mr. Freeze: "A jazz dancer comin to a bboy audition, you know, just cuz he could do those continuous backspins, which the commercial public knows as windmills, doesn't mean that he's a bboy, he's just an idiot that learned how to spin on his back."

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »
Quote from: Makenshi, The White Cloud link
Not true, Regenerate isn't as good as it first appears

wait.....but i was saying in my last post that it wasnt good........its bad for me because i never make those important rolls! lol  but everything else u said i agree with ;D

I know you weren't, to an extent I agree, it's not as good as it first sounds, however it's still worth it, especially when I realised you roll for each wound you;ve lost rather than once like with most regenerating abilities.

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline archonofdeath

• Life is for the weak.
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »
Someone should make a Godly totally tricked out Carnifex. You know, something that would bring a C'tan to it's knees. I'd like to see that. It really stinks not having the Codex.
Death is amoung us, whether we choose to be it or create it.

Offline cubbie

• Meow. Rawr. Etc. Etc.
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2005, 06:33:04 PM »
My armys are always whacked  ;)

I saw the canifex list and imediatly this came to me!.

Carnifex. (Tyrant Super-Guard) (108)
- Lash Whip
- Lash Whip
- Toxic Miasma

-2 attacks (-1 from each model), -1 WS. Aids the suvivabliaty of others. Plus, can you imagine what it would look like. Tenticles everywhere!!!

Carnifex. (Trench Warfare Spec)

-2x Devourers
-2x Death Spitters
-Spine banks

Thats six weapons, 8 shots, 2 with blast, 4 with lwound rerolls, 2 with to hit rerolls. (all short range, S6-S7)
"Liberty Is a hor who must be bedded on a matress of corpses, so hold hold you lamp as high as you like, theres still rats in your basement and Sloppy Joe's famous triple-Mcsplooge running down your thigh" -Mr Wednesday

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2005, 06:42:13 PM »

Carnifex. (Trench Warfare Spec)

-2x Devourers
-2x Death Spitters
-Spine banks

Thats six weapons, 8 shots, 2 with blast, 4 with lwound rerolls, 2 with to hit rerolls. (all short range, S6-S7)

Unless those 2x's mean Twin Linked that's illegal.

~MTWC

Offline cubbie

• Meow. Rawr. Etc. Etc.
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2005, 06:45:43 PM »
Indeed they do  :-*
"Liberty Is a hor who must be bedded on a matress of corpses, so hold hold you lamp as high as you like, theres still rats in your basement and Sloppy Joe's famous triple-Mcsplooge running down your thigh" -Mr Wednesday