News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pyrovore- experience using one?  (Read 9691 times)

Offline Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu

Pyrovore- experience using one?
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »
so what have been the experience using one or more of these things
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:30:33 PM by Herr.Erdnuss »

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Pyrovore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »
I haven't used one as of yet, but I can't see it being all that fancy.  It's an expensive heavy flamer that, if you're really lucky, will blow up and take a few more baddies out with it.

Interesting in that it's basically a suicide bomber... that's a KP nightmare (possibly enough to keep it out of lists)... though I don't think it does the job all that well.

The flamer is decent against MEQ in general coverage, but the more models in the unit, the more models you'll hit... however swarmy types will typically be able to take away its measly 2 T4 wounds before any sort of power fist has the chance to swat it (giving it a chance to go boom).  Even then, the resulting boom is questionable (though also potentially hilarious).

Perhaps a squad of them in a spore would make the enemy think twice about bunching up into cover (to protect from our sad lack of offensive grenades)... in which case taking one cheap-enough sluff unit may be worth it.  Though it still eats an Elite slot, which is highly regarded these days.

We'll see...

Khira'lyth

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
i found it worth it just for the factor of having a large blast sized spore land in the middle of my friends army( we agreed that in order for it to carry something as big as a fex or three pyrovores it was the same size across as a large blast) it made back its points and the points of the vore which got sweeped by Shas'o and my hive guard wrecked a hammer head which was almost three times his points cost

Offline Je[st]er

• greets Asphix
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:39:36 AM »
to me it looks like a "hit me to kill the rest in one shot" unit
when you walk it with your own swarm army...
1 or 2 shots... and kablauwy there it goes, up in smoke... together with a handfull of your gaunts!
don't have the codex on me atm but if i'm not mistaken it's not just the enemies that get killed by the blast.
he's easily killed, and the orc version on a truc which is cheaper and faster... i don't think i'll ever use this in my army!
to bad though... think the model is awesome!

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:45 AM »
Quote from: Jester
i don't think i'll ever use this in my army!
to bad though... think the model is awesome!

Isn't that a good enough reason to play it J?  Does everything have to be about all-out effectiveness now?  Outside of tournaments, wouldn't it be nice to see players fielding stuff they liked, rather than what was most effective.....

[No no no no let's not derail the thread with suicide bomber comments.  -Mr.Peanut]

-VH
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:33:38 PM by Herr.Erdnuss »

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
I can see it working really well. Plus i'm getting my hands on a few, because it's freaking sweet looking. Though they do bare a striking resemblance to a sponge finger and some sugar lumps.

Three heavy flamer templates followed by power weapons and the chance to detonate is too good to say no to.

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
Most units that include a flamer have a few ablative shields to allow the flamer to get in range... No meat shields, no mycetic spore, no infiltrate/hybernate, not a troops choice so it can SCREEEED, no other way way to put it in reserve unless it's a rule of the game itself to use a Trygon tunnel.

Think I'll pass. Maybe if it could project the template like a hellhound. :-\
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »
I'd maybe use pyrovores as a counts as biovore, since it's a cooler mini. 

Hey, look, there's something worse than a biovore in this ed!
/faints

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
I rather like the look of them, to the shock of everybody here. They can in fact use the Trygon tunnel if they want to (as there is no restriction on what units can be placed into reserve), and they can put out quite a lot of damage for their points costs by my maths, and with certain units in support they can actually tear through things in CC as well
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
by my maths, and with certain units in support they can actually tear through things in CC as well

and this is why he is called chuckles ;)

A pyrovore in CC is pretty close to useless, 1 attack at init 1. To be fair it will NEVER get to use that one attack,
So the only use in CC is acid blood or blowing up. Since blowing up will occur at I 1 with the power fist that leaves acid blood. Acid blood will fire twice and has a decent chance at killing ONE model.

45 points for this piece of crap, no I can't find a single army to put them in.

On a hobby note, I love the models and will painting up a brood for fun.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
Most units that include a flamer have a few ablative shields to allow the flamer to get in range... No meat shields, no mycetic spore, no infiltrate/hybernate, not a troops choice so it can SCREEEED, no other way way to put it in reserve unless it's a rule of the game itself to use a Trygon tunnel.

Think I'll pass. Maybe if it could project the template like a hellhound. :-\

Uh, have you actually read the codex yet? Pyrovores can take a Mycetic Spore and since they are Infantry, they can use a Trygon's tunnel. I still wouldn't take them though.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
Now that I see nobody loves them I feel compelled to make use of them.
Someone can clarify if fnp+acid blood works together? Like if someone deals a wound, and takes acid blood damage, and then fnp counters that wound, or is it countered before actually being delivered and triggering acid blood?

Other than that... lets see... What if I try to minmax? Three spores with three pyrovores each? And the power that lets you run and shoot in the same turn, these guys can make use of this, I believe.

Maybe they start behind some dudes to get their cover saves... in fact they may hide behind big bugs to keep free of being shot at, and then they may use move + run + template thing?

Well... I tried...
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
Right, so they'll flame once before the enemy kills them.  Compare pyrovores to heavy flamer platforms in other armies.  They're terrible. 

During the rumors phase I figured they'd have good cc abilities and hellhoud template rules, but what we got is an overpriced, fragile, short ranged, suicide shooting unit. 

Buying the mycetic spore makes them more expensive and adds another kill point so you can...flame once.  Oh, unless you're fighting mech, oops.   :o 

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
I have to say that they were the one disappointment in the Codex for me, which makes me breath a sigh of relief that I didn't pre-order any. I find it shocking that a Zoanthrope has the same CC ability.

EDIT: Ok, the Pyrovore has a power weapon. My point stands otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:27:08 PM by Raktra (Cares Not For Your Mathhammer) »

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
it seems like the consensus is it isn't worth it unless your playing a guard player that uses alot of troops and no chimeras hehe.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
I have to correct my earlier post

Pyrovores don't suck - maybe

After reading them a dozen times I finally understand their role in life. To kill the most powerful squad the opponent has.

given:
Elite: Terminators (5#, 280 pts)
   0 Terminators @ 280 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 28 & 94); Terminator Armour; Icon of Khorne; Mark of Khorne)
      5 Terminator Champion ((C:CSM, pp. 28 & 94); Terminator Armour; Mark of Khorne; Lightning Claws (pair) x5)

A quickie example this is 5 base attacks at 4 and 4. so the Chaos Terminators charge my one lone Pyrovore.

30 attacks - 20 hit - 15 wounds.

So now the fun part kicks in, My Pyrovore as 15 Unsaved wounds. That means that unit must take 15 Initiative test.

so 15 *5 = 45 init test = 15 power weapon wounds.
10 unsaved wounds by the terminators.

Now while getting them into combat is a pain, the worse the odds are for them the better they work. I wonder If one Pyrovore could kill an entire seer council....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:38:27 PM by shaten »
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure Acid Blood only affects how many wounds the creature actually has. You can cause Instant Death on something with 3 wounds 10 times and claim to have won the combat by 30 after all.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
acid blood says "For every unsaved wound", combat resolution talks about the number of wounds a model has.

(Yhea maybe I got a bit of rules lawyering here but the FAQ will clear that up)

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
You can't cause more wounds than it actually has though, so I still don't think it'd work that way. Perhaps this is one for the rules forum.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
well since I went down this rabbit hole.

The limiter on combat resolution.
Pg 39 col 2 4th par - Determine Assault Results
"...,nor do wounds in excess of a model's Wounds characteristic"

reading this page I can see pro cons on the argument, got the feeling this is an FAQ question in the long run.