News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Dark Angels (Balanced Tournament List, Not Ravenwing or Deathwing)  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Kalibroxin

• Seasoned Vet
Hello all,

I thought I would try and make a Dark Angels list that is a little less "gimmicky", and take an approach that would present a balanced, yet powerful, army that could take on many different opponents in a tournament setting.  It has quite a bit of versatility, and plays similarly to some balanced vanilla lists, but also provides things that only Dark Angels can have, or units that are at a "discounted" points cost due to the old codex.  Here is the list:

Belial - Thunderhammer - Storm Shield

Deathwing Terminator Squad - Thunderhammer x5 - Storm Shield x5 - Cyclone Missile Launcher - Standard Bearer - Apothecary

Tactical Squad of 10 - Lascannon - Meltagun - Sergeant w/ Power Weapon - Razorback - TL Lascannon - Extra Armor

Tactical Squad of 10 - Lascannon - Meltagun - Sergeant w/ Power Weapon - Razorback - TL Lascannon - Extra Armor

Dreadnought - Venerable - Plasmacannon - Heavy Flamer - Extra Armor

Ravenwing Land Speeder - Typhoon Missile Launcher - Multi-Melta

I believe this list will be very fun to play.  It has speed, firepower, and a very formidible close-combat presence.  The reason I took Belial was to create an extremely powerful Terminator unit that will hit harder than most Terminator units, while being tougher to kill than most other Terminator units.  They also become my third Troops choice, and will Deep Strike on turn one.

I also wanted to take advantage of the "discounts" Dark Angels get on Venerable Dreadnoughts and Land Speeder Typhoons.  A Venerable Dreadnought of the same configuration costs 35 points less for Dark Angels than Vanilla, and the Typhoons cost 25 points less.  This effectively gives me an extra 180 points to use on the rest of the army.  Now, I needed to take Tactical Squads, and they are slightly more expensive than Vanilla Tactical Squads by 15 points each with their current configuration, but that still effectively leaves me with 150 points extra that Vanilla would not have.

Please let me know what you think.  I think this list has a lot to offer, and could give Dark Angels players out there something else to consider than the typical Ravenwing or Deathwing lists you almost always see.

Thanks in advance,

Kal
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:27:41 PM by Kalibroxin »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
I would swap 2 or three of the thunder hammers in the terminator squad to lightning claws.  With belial in there you still have a good amount of thunder hammer attacks, but you really benefit from the banner with the lightning claws.

I am not a fan of Extra Armour on most vehicles, it is just too costly to justify the expense.  Same with Venerable on the Dreadnoughts.  Yes, our venerable dreads are cheaper than C:SM, but they also don't have the increase in WS and BS.  20pts for the venerable ability to effect the damage roll is just not worth it.  If you were to drop venerable and extra armour you would have enough points to grab a Vindicator with Dozer Blades and 5 pts to spare.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Kalibroxin

• Seasoned Vet
Those are fair critiques of the list, and I will take them into consideration.

Where would you place the Lightning Claws within the Terminator unit?  Would you put them on the Apothecary, Standard Bearer, Cyclone Missile Launcher?

Also, normally I don't take Extra Armor on vehicles either, but Dreadnoughts with close combat capability and transports are the ones that I do take Extra Armor on. It's too important for the transports to make it to their destinations.  Dreadnoughts need to be able to move, even if they don't fire any weapons, and extra armor on Venerable Dreadnoughts is very mean.  It's just to ensure that my vehicles have a better chance to reach their intended destinations.  If the vehicles were Predators, or Vindicators, or something that can just move on turn one to get to their effective ranges, it doesn't make sense to take Extra Armor, as the most important thing for them to do is fire their weapons, which can't be prevented with Extra Armor.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:55:11 PM by Kalibroxin »