News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pts of dark eldar.  (Read 362 times)

Offline wowy319

• "Suffer not the unclean to live"
1500 pts of dark eldar.
« on: February 26, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »
HQ

Archon w/ splinter pistol, agonizer, soul seeker ammunition, shadow field, combat drugs+ vexantrope: 151 pts

lord retinue: 5 incubi w/ (master w/ combatr drugs): 168 pts

Haemonculus w/ 2 destructors+ webway portal: 105 pts

troops

10 warriors w/ dark lance+ blaster mounted in raider w/ torture amp+ disintegrator: 165 pts   

10 warriors w/ 2 splinter cannons: 100 pts

elites

5 mandrakes: 75 pts

6 grotesques: 90 pts

5 wyches  w/ wych weapons, plasma & haywire grenades+ succubus: 98 pts

fast attack

5 hellions w/ blaster+ shredder: 115 pts

heavy support

Ravager w/ 2 disintegrators, horrorfex, night shield+ screaming jets: 150 pts

Talos: 100 pts

5 scourges w/ 2 dark lances, 2 splinter cannons+ (sybarite w/ hell mask): 181 pts

Is this any good?  I like the talos, but if it's no good it can go.  I wanted a high rate of fire for this army and some good assault troops.  any advice?
"I am authorized by the high lords of The Holy Terra to use lethal force when needed.  Please give me a reason to."
--inquisitor lord Zachary

"I am an inquisitor in service of the almighty Emperor.  To face me is to face damnation."
--Inquisitor Nicolas

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
Re: 1500 pts of dark eldar.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:13:44 PM »
The squads need optimizing quite a lot. Dark Eldar are an awkward army like that, GW underpowered them to the extent that they have less set-ups that are effective than other races, though fortunately the ones that are effective are as good as anything else out there.

Webway Portal - If you use them at all, use at least two. Check out the main site Dark Eldar section general tactics, there's two Webway army articles there, one by me, one by Rathnard. Have a read of them, they might be helpful.

Archon + Incubi: These units are ones you don't want to overload. See, the Incubi are deadly already, so you don't need much more killing power in the squad. If anything, extra is a liability, it means you slaughter the opposing squad in 1 turn and then can be shot. What you want is to kill most of the opposing squad, then finish it off in the next assault phase so that you can move off and assault in your following turn.

So with that in mind, I'd strip the Archon down to a bare-balls Dracon with just an Agonizer, Splinter Pistol and maybe a Hell Mask, Trophy Rack and other minor gear. I'd drop the Incubi Master completely. As a side not, it's not a great idea to give Combat Drugs to single-wound characters. If you don't use two options every time, the item is wasted, but if you do use two options then you run the risk of killing that expensive model outright. The drugs don't really boost their killing power anyway, not like they do for deadly models like Lords.

Haemonculus - You can only take 1 Destructor, and 2 would be redundant anyway, you can't shoot them both unfortunately.

Warriors - You'll want more of these. I would change the weapons of your 10-man foot squad to 2 Dark Lances.

Elites - 5 Mandrakes can be handy for distraction purposes.

The Grotesques will be a waste though. They aren't actually all that hard to kill, especially in a small unit. A few anti-tank weapons or Starcannons, Multilasers,etc and they'll be history. Better to spend the points on other things.

Wyches - One of the best assault units in the game. I'd say the best, in fact. Try using a larger squad, 10 in a Raider, with Wych Weapons and a Succubus who is armed with an Agonizer. Always give Succubi and Sybarites a good weapon if you take them, it's the only reason they are worth having, because otherwise you're just paying points for an extra S3 attack, which is pretty weedy. ;)

Hellions - I would drop them to make way for other improvements.  Note that Hellions can only have one special weapon though.

Ravager - I like mine cut down and cheap. I take the same weapon load-out that you took, but none of the upgrades. This is personal preference really.

Scourges - Not a good idea to mix weapons, it makes them poor at both tasks. I think Scourges are a bad unit anyway though, they are very expensive but very frail. I don't use them often at all, and never in tough games. Drop them! Drop them I tell ye, and free up some points! The Sybarite is a waste here too, as you won't ever want this squad in assault. But that's no matter, because you'll be dropping them. ;)