News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 59510 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »

Raven Guard
Pros:
Some cool looking units
Good Alpha Strike
Well painted (or at least I think so!)
Cons:
Very one dimensional- I only have the units for an alpha strike sort of list
No Anti-air
Easy to counter

I really can't make my mind up over what I am wanting to use, I'm even considering starting up something new and to try and get stuff built within the next few weeks to be ready!

No ant-air! Don't your Stormtalon's count as anti-air? Nobody put's Captain Corone in a corner so get him on a table.

Also if you are seriously thinking of spending money why not buy something for your Raven Guard. Your Vanguard Vets are too good looking to not be used
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Looks like the voting is going towards the Raven Guard and I think that is how I am looking at leaning at the moment.
Looking at what I have I can do probably almost 3,000 pts worth of Raven Guard so although almost everything is built for Alpha strike tactics I do at least have a little bit of variation plus with Allies rules I can throw in some Assassins and a little bit of my Old Inquisition stuff if needed!

Looking at the armies that I am fairly sure I'll be facing:
Eldar Corsairs
Eldar Ynnari
Eldar Craftworlds
Nurgle Chaos Space Marines
Khorne Daemonkin
Thousand Sons (possibly x2)
Blood Angels
Tyranids
Dark Angels
Dark Eldar
Tau
Cult Mechanicus (Usually War Convocation)
Astra Miliatarum
There will probably be a couple more participants as well, not sure on armies though.
Looking at that list the Raven Guard will probably be the better choice.

@Alienscar- To be honest with how my Storm Talons have (Not) worked for me I don't tend to rely on them for anything! haha
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »
Now that's a varied selection :) I don't see many Marines or Daemons, so either of those would add even more variety ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Now that's a varied selection :) I don't see many Marines or Daemons, so either of those would add even more variety ;)

Yeah, we do have a really good mix of players at my local club!

So....... I've just got back from my trip to Warhammer World!
Had an absolute blast doing a Daemons vs Death Guard game which was a total slaughterfest!
We did one of the Altar of War missions which allowed a very strange deployment, I was deploying units 1" away ready for first turn charges!
I had brought a fairly friendly list, no Daemonic incursion and weakened Psychic, just threw the Knight in to boost the points up. He went for his usual list.
I won't go into a full battle report as I am tired and can't remember most of it! Just trust me that it was carnage and enjoy some pictures!

1) Our very strange deployment, split into Triangles and you had to roll which one you deployed in!

2) His Knight seems to have set it's targets on mine!

3) Seekers got the charge on his Plague Bearers and Great Unclean One

4) My knight trying to find a bit of cover:

5) Daemon Prince just about to take to the air!

6) Assaulting the Rhino

7) Approx 30 seconds after this a Thermal Cannon caused there to be no more Daemonettes here.......

8) My Knight assaulting another Rhino, the next turn two Melta Guns destroyed her!  :'(

9) Revenge for the Knight!

10) These guys were there too! Got a chance to have a good chat with Lawrence from Tabletop Tactics about his Narrative campaign and future plans. Really nice guy! (also really tall!)

And finally......... I tripped and fell into the Forgeworld store......My Debit Card also accidently fell out of my wallet and into the machine.......

If anyone can guess what they are then I'll tell you, otherwise I'm gonna wait until they are all built and painted!  8)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »
I think a thunder hawk  or one of the storm raven varients.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2017, 02:53:39 AM »
Looks like you had a great day AP!

Have you played at Warhammer World before? Me and my bro try to get up there about once per year for a game (although have struggled over the past 18 months, what with having 3 kids between us in that time!). It's a great experience up there. The Hall of Miniatures, after the revamp, is just stunning.

I know how dangerous the FW shop up there can be. I went in to pick up some transfers last year and ended up with an Avatar and 2 Hornets, none of which have come out of their packets!

My guess is either a Fire Raptor or Storm Eagle on the left (I'd go with the Fire Raptor, guessing that it's more Air to Air than the other). Definitely an aircraft though.

The other is way more difficult. I think it may be a tank, judging by all the straight edges, but the only one that I think matches is the Scarab Battle Tank. But it looks a bit small for that.

Dunno, but I'm looking forward to finding out!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2017, 04:28:24 AM »
@Dread- Thankfully I didn't slip so far as to get a Thunderhawk...... Maybe one day though!

@Looshkin- We have a partial Winner! The Flyer is indeed a Fire Raptor, I love the look of the model and have wanted one for a while now. That and they are pretty nasty!

I've never actually played at Warhammer world before, I visited the exhibitions probably about 10 years ago but never actually played a game there. It was a really good atmosphere and more like how I remember the old Games Workshop shops to be. I think we are going to try and get up there a bit more often as it's about an hour and a half to two hours drive which isn't too bad if I can get a good game and a bit of Forgeworld out of it.....

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2017, 04:42:41 AM »
Your models look great on that table.  You managed to get a decent table, based on the pictures, and it seems as though you had a lot of fun.  Thanks for the summary of the evening.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
Fantastic! Wow look at the lighting... so freaking dramatic. I love it... great photos AP thanks for taking them. Soooooo jealous....

Thats awesome you got to chat with Lawrence from TTT everyone raves about how nice a guy he is. Thats cool considering how great a player he is and his rising popularity. Thats awesome.

Also... Fire Raptor! Knew it before I saw Looshkin's post. Also... that second bag has some beefy resin in there. I want to say a Mastodon... but I don't think there's enough stuff in there. A Knight upgrade?

Anyway legendary man. So glad you got to go to Warhammer World. Someday I will make it there. Great stuff and again thanks for the photos!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »
Cheers guys!

@Irisado- It was a really good evening, there is definitely something about playing up there. Great atmosphere!

@Cav- Yeah Lawrence was a really great guy, very passionate about his gaming and very down to earth! Would have liked to have more time to chat to the others as well. The Pastry Chef, Beard and B-Bone were all there too.
Haha the second bag isn't a Mastodon, nothing quite so big/expensive as that!

___________________ ___________________ ___________________

One update for today,
I have spent most of the weekend painting and have near enough finished my Devastators for my Raven Guard Army. I am currently undecided whether to try some OSL style effects on the Grav Cannons but I can't decide whether it would be too much.

I also have a couple of WIP pictures for you, here is my conversion for Lias Issodon (Raptors chapter master) as a Raven Guard character:

And my Raven Guard Jump Pack Librarian:

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
Oh man, I've missed seeing Raven Guard updates! Looking phenomenal as always... I just love your painting style with these guys. I love how totally dark they are... if you put them next to Black Templars or Pre-Heresy DA you'd still absolutely know which guys were which.

Love the shoulder rims and that red is popping like there is no tomorrow. I think the OSL on the Grav-Cannons could be a good call. I always like to know at a glance which heavy weapons are which, but... it may break up the really uniform look you have to these guys. I like how the red of their eye lenses and stuff is the spot color... it really appeals to my minimalist approach to paint schemes.  Tough call, perhaps Looshkin will have some advice as he's more adventurous than I am as a painter.

Lias Issodon looks awesome. I have had this guy kick my butt up and down before with a unit of Sternguard in a freaking Land Raider of all things, back in 6th. Total respect for the man.

Also I love your approach to the Librarian... I always thought the all blue was a bit much (which is why I didn't do any blue on my DA Librarian... also the DA never go along with the program lol). Sickening... can't wait for some more Ravenguard bat-reps... really enjoyed following your learning process with them.

Great stuff as always Auric. Super jealous of your collection of armies... so unique and awesome looking. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
Yeah I'm a fan of the near-jet-black look of them as well :) fits very nicely into their role as forward scouts and covert operatives.

Something that I feel would be blown slightly if they've got big glowy bits on their guns illuminating them for all to see, but I'm also thinking that rule-of-cool might win out on that one ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
I think I've already said it, by I love the pose on your Lias. It really reminds me of early lead figure poses, but not limited by the crappy sculpts that were rife back in the day.

The blue on that Libby is lush. A really striking colour and totally out of the norm. It looks like it is centred more towards Aqua than anything. I love how you've done that, I think it looks tremendous?

The Devastators are really nice too. Those lenses look absolutely brilliant. Uniformly clean, bright and totally convincing. Super job on the Devs.

As for the OSL, I say give it a go on 1 mini. It may overwhelm it, but I think it more likely that it'll make the minis pop a lot more. Most of your models so far have a light characteristic about them, such as helmets or jump pack wings. I think that the Devs would benefit in the same way. If you aren't a fan on how it turns out, at least you've only tried it on one and it's not such a reclamation project.

Be brave. Give it ago. Blame me if it doesn't work for you 😁

Epic work AP. Keep it up!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
I am currently undecided whether to try some OSL style effects on the Grav Cannons but I can't decide whether it would be too much.

OSL can look brilliant but personally I find that even when done by Eavy Metal painters I still look at a model and think "what are you playing at" there's is no way the light would reach that far". Or, "no way the light would get underneath something". What I am saying is that whilst OSL can look really good it can also distract.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
Cheers guys! I really enjoyed painting up these devastators. I'm slowly getting through my backlog of painting stuff for my Raven Guard, I am so bad at starting to paint stuff and then not finishing it and buying more! So far I have to finish 2 Storm Talons, 2 Drop Pods, 5 Assault Marines, 5 Scouts and then these two characters. That's before I even start the Forgeworld fun!

@Cav- Cheers bud, as always your comments mean a lot! To be honest I should probably spend a bit more time doing edge highlighting etc with these guys if I want them to look more professional but with the Drybrush and Wash it gives them a bit of an old and slightly more worn looking effect.
The all blue Librarians have never sat well with me, particularly with Raven Guard as it's not exactly subtle!

@Ynnead- Thanks bud, yeah that was pretty much my exact thinking on it. I've seen a few OSL effects that have just been too bright and definitely not good for a sneaky unit!

@Looshkin- Thankyou! To be honest I had a couple of doubts over the Lias Issodon model but now he has some paint on him I am much happier, he'll probably be the next one to be finished.
I may take your advice and do a test model but I think I am going to find an old model to do it on rather than one of these.

@Alienscar- Pretty much the same opinion as me, I'd like the Grav to really stand out but yeah a lot of the OSL I see is too in your face and overpowering for most models. I think a test will be the best idea atm.

@Everybody- Not much of an update as sadly I have just started a set of nightshifts at work so progress this week will likely be fairly slow but in a few spare minutes I've just painted up these Armorium Cherubs to go with the Devastator units (Twin linked Grav.....Woooo!)

Excuse the poor phone pictures! Was doing it in too much of a hurry to get my proper camera out! haha

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »
I also have a couple of WIP pictures for you, here is my conversion for Lias Issodon (Raptors chapter master) as a Raven Guard character:

Your conversion looks brilliant is there any chance you could list the items that you have used. I found the more detail that is provided the easier it is to steal understand the conversion.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »

Your conversion looks brilliant is there any chance you could list the items that you have used. I found the more detail that is provided the easier it is to steal understand the conversion.

haha certainly!
It's fairly simple to be honest, the Legs are from the Space Marine Devastators box (As I think the sword was too) and the Chest, left Shoulder Pad, Bolter and Backpack were all from the Forge World Raven Guard upgrade pack. If I remember rightly the right arm was from the Space Marine Assault Squad box (Previously had a Plasma pistol in the hand) All other bits were from the Tactical squad box.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
Awesome stuff Aurics thanks very much.

I like the way you have painted the skin on the Cherubs but they represent one of the 40k aesthetics that I really do not like.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
Awesome stuff Aurics thanks very much.

I like the way you have painted the skin on the Cherubs but they represent one of the 40k aesthetics that I really do not like.

To be honest I agree, it's one of the reasons that I never really got into Sisters of Battle etc. I wanted these guys for tabletop play though and had no better ideas for conversions at the moment!

@Everybody-
A bit of an update for today!
I have near enough finished my Lias Issodon model and my Jump Pack Librarian (Needs a name!) I will have a good look around the model and see if there is anything I have missed or anything that needs tidying up but I think they are ready!
I've also painted up another Jump Pack Assault Squad, this will allow me to field the Pinion Battle Demi Company and a Skyhammer Annihilation Force.

I also had a sit down while at work last night and totalled up my Raven Guard collection, I am currently sat at about 3500pts painted and about 4200 including unpainted miniatures!
During the process of this I did however realise that I have as many Assault Marines as I do tactical marines and in my 4200pts I only actually own 15 Tactical Marines.......
This will soon be rectified and after pay day I may order a couple of the new Skyhammer deals which will put me up to 35 Marines and 6 Drop Pods!  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
Looking very solid Auric. Just love the way you do the black armor... also love the aquilla/ravenskull looks suitably dark and weathered... lets the various splash colors really pop.

What a monster collection! Damn I'm jealous... I wish my Dark Angels were in fighting shape. Dang did this collection grow quick... Did you have a headstart on these guys before you did your Corsairs? Or did you just go all in after you started? Either way they look great man. Just love this army. Keep it up!