News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 344358 times)

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #320 on: April 5, 2015, 03:29:18 PM »
great looking. It is truly fantastic, what a little change can do.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #321 on: April 5, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »
Ok so because i'm a crazy idiot i'm starting by the end... omg this aegis absolutely marvelous i really gives that feeling of strong but light that all the eldar things have.
death jester i would not like to meet that guy um close and personal >< defenetly an extremely good looking model.
I am still not sold on the normal count as harlies give me a feeling of déjà vu from some of the you other unit i think the head does not give an harli feeling to me. Sorry. I know it's  count as but that's a feeling i can't shake off. Out of this the model is still gorgeous and really work well with your armi look.

Hehe your welcome, did you like my ridiculous attempt to lyrism?

Cheers ^^ waiting to see what's next
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #322 on: April 5, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
Alright so last of the rapid-fire updates as the work week is about begin. But I did some re-modelling and I'm quite happy with how it came out.

I think your counts as Harlequins capture the dynamics of the real thing quite well. Once they are painted I think most people will be happy with how they look.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »
Hey guys thanks for all the input!

@Grizzly- Hey Griz thanks for the input. I hear ya on the deja vu' but they are really meant to represent veteran version of the Wyches I've already converted up. These guys will have the nastier helmets, more vicious poses and more wicked wargear. Maybe it wont do it for you but I'm happy with the way they look. I like a bit of standardization amongst the force I think it helps to stand out in a weird way against the more eclectic Craftworld builds.

@Alienscar- Thanks man I really appreciate it. I feel the same way. I'm used to getting a mixed response especially from my brother but once they see the paint job and the way it sort of pulls things together or alternatiley distinguishes my units people usually dig. Glad you're a believer though!  :P

So hey guys! Had a great 2v2 game this weekend. For the first time I got to fight alongside my brother! It was IG and Eldar vs Necrons and Space Wolves. We had some heavy weight lists duking it out!

Our lists were:
Company Command
Pask in a Punisher
2x10 Vets with x3 Plasma
Vulture
Manticore
Plasmacutioner
Imperial Knight Paladin

Autarch: Soulshrive, Banshee Mask
5x Wraithguard- D-scythes
   Wave Serpent
x8 Avengers
   Wave Serpent
Jetbikes x3
Jetbikes x3
Hornets x3 Pulse Lasers
Nightwing
Wraithknight- Suncannon/Shield/Scatter Laser

As for my opponents whoa momma it was scary. I can't recall exactly everything they had... but it was 5 Nightscythes, Doomsday Arc, Deathmarks, Lord on a Chariot, Ghost Ark x10 Warriors, x5 Immortals, x3 Tomb Blades. Then the Wolves had 6 Thunder-Cav x3 Hammer/Shields, 3 Drops pods with meltas, 2 squads of terminators with mixed combi-plasma and hammers/shields, and double Priests + Storm Wolf.

It must be noted that we thought we were in for a game with pure Wolves (simply because both guys play Wolves). Boy were we suprised to see a Necron airforce had arrived! I've played 3-1 flyers before but this was a whole other ballgame!

We setup in the far left corner with my Wraithknight protecting the left flank of the Plasmacutioner, Manticore and Pask in his Punisher. The Imperial Knight protected the right flank of the tanks with the Company Command tucked into a piece of LOS blocking terrain. While the an Aegis spread out in front of all that with 2 Veterans with x3 plasma shielded. Further right I had two of my Wave Serpents locking down the rest of our deployment.

Our opponents deployed the Thunderwolves centrally across from us and the doomsday arc in the far right, while the Tomb Blades took the right flank. Our opponents went first and boy did it hurt! Never faced the doomsday arc before and it blew up the Plasmacutioner straight away. Then came the drop-pods. They attempted some really tight maneuvers right behind the manticore but scattered off the table. While the other pod scattered right in front of the Veterans behind our Aegis. The Wolves let loose with melta, bolter and stormbolter but did no damage. The Tomb Blades rectified that by annihilating all but one of the Veterans with a single volley. Luckily it was one of the Plasma gunners and he held. It sucked to lose the Plasmacutioner 1st turn and the loss of the veterans hurt. The Deathmarks scattered too near one of our units and I placed it way off in the corner effectivley removing it from game. Yet that was of little comfort. We had no idea the firepower being brought against us. Yet we showed no dismay and calculated our next move. It would be difficult without my hornets, the d-scythes out of range and my nightwing but we struck back with a vengeance...

Painted by my brother!

Our turn! Orders were issued and the Veterans annihilated both the Space Wolves and the pod they came in on. The dreaded Thunder Wolves that tried to hide behind some ruins until more support came in had stuck their noses out too far and the Wraithknight, Knight Titan, Wave Serpents and Manticore took aim and reduced them to 1 Wolf! It was a brilliant reply and couldn't have been more clutch! Pask then reduced the Tomb Blades to scrap. Its amazing how long everything took but the descriptions are quite short... as was the game!

Turn 2. Every single flyer showed up! 4 Night Scythes and the Stormwolf. My god I had never seen so many flyers... nor so much fire power. They poured fire into my Wave Serpents downing one immediatley and spilling my Wraithguard out. The last of the pods dropped also and a mixed squad of combi-weapon termies and hammers/shields + a Rune Priest dropped in and combined fire took out one of the Wave Serpents immediatley spilling my Wraithguard on to the table. One group with meltas shook the Manticore preventing it from firing. The other focused on the Knight Titan but did nothing. While the termies focused on my Wraithguard killing 3! Ouch! Another brutal retort by the Wolves/Necrons. They were definitley happy with their performance (and should have been) but its not a game till my Hornets and Nightwing hit the table which they did on our turn 2!

It was time to turn up the heat! The hornets and nightwing arrived and went straight in for the kill. I rolled well (as I always seem to) and got the Hornets to outflank right behind the Necron lords barge where his quantum shielding wouldn't help. They annihilated the Necron lord and earned another kill marking! My hornets are such champs they never let me down even against 4++ and his re-animation protocols. As a quick tangent I felt the power of the fluff in that kill and throughout the game. Necrons are a fantastic opponent and one worthy of the Eldar both in hardcore-in-game power and the background! My Nightwing uncharacteristicall y did no damage to the enemy flyer but did force him to jink. That sucked... as I really needed to fell a flyer per turn I felt. But oh well! The Knight Titan then let loose on the Doomsday Arc doing nothing. Stubbered the Marines and Drop-pod for possible assault. My Wraithknight shot-up the last Thunderwolf but did no damage. My Wraithguard then d-scythed the last of the drop-pod Marines.

Then came a highlight in the game! White-Squad my newest squad of Corsair Avengers wiped out 3 of Termies 2 of which had storm-shield thunderhammers. Then my brothers Veterans (long time nemeses of my Avengers) helped out killed the last 2 and the Rune Priest! I couldn't have been happier. I thought I was in big trouble but the Avengers who always reward me for taking them at 8+ came through... clutch as ever!

In the assault phase the Knight titan destroyed the drop-pod kicking it out of our deployment zone (literally with the stomp table). That closed out our turn. It was a wipe-out response to the Space Wolf incursion into our deployment zone, and claiming warlord was the icing on the cake! We had annihilated all their foot troops except for 10 Warriors, 1 Thunder Wolf, 1 Space Wolf with a melta gun and a team of immortal ready to drop turn 3... the final turn!

The Ghost arc and all the guys inside which had gone ignored moved into position over a skyfire nexus and fired twenty shots at my nightwing… and clipped t when I rolled a 1 on my jink save! This was a stunner as my Nightwing very rarely loses a hull point and has never died! Luckily it didn't die but that would have hurt going forward because I had great angles on all their flyers and now I was snap-firing. The last group of terminators dropped in with their combi-weapons and hammers/shields (never seen this combo before and didnt know it existed) and tried to take out Pask but failed again! We had never seen Pask last so long and the man was doing work! A straggling melta-wolf also pot-shotted the Manticore but failed to damage do to a good cover save. Yet then disaster struck! One of the Nightscythes targetted my Avengers with my warlord firing off a billion shots. I failed one look out sir and the Str 7 ID'd him… what made it worse was when my brother poined out to my opponent that he forgot to fire it because we removed it from its base due to precarious positioning on some terrain. That one hurt! But alas they were good guys and it was my brothers first time playing them and wanted to be sporting. To be honest I had forgotten about it as well simply because of the 5 flyers on the board and the masses of Necron fire power coming in its easy to forget! So now the game was in their favor they had warlord, line-breaker, and two objectives (via the last thunderwolf hiding on an objective, the ghost ark holding one, and the recently arrived Immortals). Time to fight back!

Last half-turn of the game! At this point our opponents had very little left on the board. Doomsday arc, Ghost Ark, Lone Thunderwolf, Immortals and a few empty drop-pods and a squad of terminators. Time to go to work. Reserves came in bringing the Vulture in at last, the 2 Guardian Jetbike squads, my Avengers rallied after losing the Autarch. Time to make our final push. The Avengers, last 2 Wraithguard and Jetbikes all moved towards the objective held by the Immortals (putting a lot of Ob-Sec units on their to mitigate one or more of them getting wiped out by the Ghost Ark if our opponents decided they wanted to carry on, though they were both pressed for time). The Wraithguard wiped them out, but reanimation protocols brought 2 of them back. The Vulture then swooped in and took the rest out and the JB's turbo-boosted onto the objective. Then the remaining Veterans and Pask annihilated the last of the Terminators (Pask and the Veterans were total champs this game) while both the Wraithknight and the Imperial Knight blasted the Thunderwolf with his shield/hammer to no avail! Besides a little maneuvering here and there and various pot-shots that was it. Our opponents had to leave and in the end we tied the game. As I write this I realize I could have contested the objective held by the Ghost Ark, but also I realize I ws worried about trying this as my opponents may have wanted to go another turn if they saw the game might slip away. In the end I'm happy with a tie as it was a fantastic game, truly well executed on both sides. I feel from a raw power perspective my opponents had a clear advantage with a 5 flyer list in addition to Thundercav, a Chariot Lord and all the Shield/Hammer terminators. Our list was definitley a VERY powerful build but better balanced for all situations. Given the amount of flyers and the sheer weight of dice I feel we played excellently. Can't wait to play against these guys again. They are great guys and bring hard lists and know what they want to do which I truly appreciate. Best of all I got to play with my brother which was definitley a highlight in all my years of enjoying 40k.

I have to say I think I'm a bigger points guys. I've heard about Apocalypse only groups in the Santa Cruz area and if I was around for that I'd definitley join them. All they play is 3000pts+ all the way to 500,000 pts. I would love to do that and I'm going to try and start an Apocalypse Campaign in the near future. My brother just got a TON of new minis and even wants to play Harlies so the future is bright for the both of us!

Anyway! Here are some project pix! I've been working on the Imperial Knight, my Harlies, my Aegis and some new terrain. Here we go!

First off my Harlies. I've decided to not give them all cloaks etc. As I mentioned to Grizz I want some standardization to my force and want these counts-as Harlies to look like more veteran/nasty version of my Wyches. Also the fact that my Wyches will probably never see the table again (unless its a very large points game) means it will not look very redundant on the table top. Just thinking about the visual of all those cloaks flying around, especially looking at the models top-down while playing will hide the pose and sort of bulk-out the models. I like seeing that awesome DE armor and all the cool little things on their belts and what-not. So anyway here's what we've got cooking!

Also my brother Knight! What a beast this thing is to paint... my Wraithknight was far less complicated.

And some of my terrain. This big stuff is a must for all armies... it really forces you to maneuver and helps to balance the game against armies like Eldar and Necrons.

Also my Aegis! Still a WIP, but I'm happy. Also my Icarus-Las cannon prototype. This is just a mock-up. I've got the bits to glue and get nice and even. I just wanted to see if it would work visually.

Anyway guys thats all I got! Stay tuned for more action. Gonna get some games in next weekend hopefully or maybe just a lot of painting and building. Also keep a look for some possible Dark Angels stuff in the near future. I may be getting in a game of Space Hulk too with my Deathwing Termies who are all painted up with no place to go. Got a new Corsair kit inbound as well with a whole new counts-as unit earmarked for construction. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:34:12 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »
Wow there's so much cool stuff in your last post that I'm lost for words.

Really like your terrain and Aegis and the Icarus cannon is a beautiful thing.

Did you model your rocky pillars purely to provide tall cover for the Knight?

Enjoyed your battle report as well. From your writing I get a real sense that you were slightly intimidated by the opposing army.

Maybe it is my lack of gaming experience talking but I am surprised that the Imperial Knight didn't have a bigger impact.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2015, 08:39:28 AM »
Thanks Alienscar. About the terrain it was modelled to give units like Dreadnoughts, Sentinels complete LOS blocking terrain to force units like Wraithknights, and Knights to move around them. Secondarily it was there to give cover saves to big tanks like Leman Russ' (most importantly) cover saves in addition to Wraithknights, Knight Titans. But primarily it was designed to make my army have to move around the board to get clear firing lanes. I designed all my terrain basically to force movement into the games.

Glad you liked the report too. And hell yeah I was intimidated by those flyers! Its something I encountered before when playing against two Vendettas and a Vulture in a campaign I played awhile back so I knew what to do. Its all about maneuvering behind them, but I was worried for my brother because of his lack of maneuverability. Two of those flyers were the variants which dropped strength 9 ap1 large blasts which I hadn't encountered before. It was a lot of fun though. The Necrons and the Decurion Detachment are absolutley brutal. They unleash an absolute deluge of fire power, have fantastic assault units and phenomenal flyers. I love playing against them and truly enjoy embracing the rivalry between them and the Eldar. I'm really looking forward to future games against them... though that player may be trading the army for a really good Tyranids army which I'm equally thrilled to play against.

Quick note: Just so everyone knows please don't feel obligated to read/comment on these monstrous battle reports. They are there for those who are interested, and to keep as both reference and record of the success of my theories and strategies that I espouse elsewhere on the forum. 

As for the Knight... I wasn't keeping an eye on my brother and he forgot to roll 2d6 on the vehicle penetration chart due to ordnance! To be honest though he did the one thing we really needed him to do which was help decimate that Thunderwolf Cavalry. If we didn't do that, the game surely would have been lost. Without him it wouldn't have happened. It was a crazy game though and very chatty so it was hard to keep track of everything. It hardly mattered though because we had so much fun. I think the alliance between me and my brother is going to crop up quite a bit. We're gonna do it again next month... We also have some really nice background about the alliance which I'll share in the future. There's a whole story to the games me and my brother have played and how both forces end up uniting in the end.

Anyway thanks for the feedback Alienscar its very much appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:40:35 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
Thank you a hundred times for sharing the awesome report Cavalier!  Those pics made my day, as I love the look of two nicely painted armies facing off on a properly modeled board.  And those are nicely painted models. 8)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
I love that Eldar terrain of yours.  It looks stunning.

The armies and the board that you played on look great too.  It all looks so impressive, almost cinematic.  I couldn't play a game like that, as I don't think that flyers and knights belong in 40K, but they certainly make for some spectacular pictures when on a table like that. 
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
wuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu ...  man you never cease to amaze me, that battle report work nicely and the picture are stunning might be because the minis/terrain looks stunning to begin with ^^.

For the harlies i did not understood your way of doing things that's why i was confused. if those are veterant then yes they work really nicely and i appologize for my missunderstanding of things. i prefer the coat less one aswell now that i take the time to look at them. The pose are nice making them really intresting to watch.

That piece of aegis you did is really wonderfull. I love it not much else i can say ;)

Don't know much about what the plateform stand for, but that work nicely aswell :)

looking forward to what's next ^^

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
That sounded like quite a powerful army against you. Seems like you took on the necrons a lot better than I did, though!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »
@ Tangi- Hey Tangi thanks I really appreciate you reading my report. I know its lengthy but a couple of you guys have expressed enjoyment reading them so I'm happy to do so. Just because you're a hobby guy doesn't mean you don't love playing good tough games.

@Irisado- Thank so much Irisado. Glad you like the Eldar Aegis. I really like it too and I love that the blue meshes with my paint scheme (just like the toy of transformers hot rod... his windshield was blue plastic). Glad you liked the board too. I wish their was a grey wasteland board at the store to match my terrain... but I'll be getting in a lot more games at home with my matching terrain.

Also I know what you mean about flyers and knights and all that. To an extent I totally agree with you. If I had my druthers games played at that power level should have 8x8 tables with truly carefully arranged terrain and the Forgeworld system of super-heavies and knight class units occupying only 25% of your force. Also about flyers... playing on a 8x4 board gives them incredible power. Its all too over the top... but at the same time it creates for a totally intense tabletop experience that really feels like you're in one of those classic 40k hellstorms as depicted in the all the classic background fiction.

At the same time I miss the old school days where a lone dreadnought felt like a Wraithknight. Which is why I really love Zone Mortalis and some of the Forgeworld Campaigns where the missions call upon you to create lists with limited options. I really hope that the community can eventually come to embrace this style of play as much as the full sound and fury of the current 1500-2000pts game. I CERATINLY have plans for games of this sort with my brother which'll hopefully promote that style of play.

@Grizz- Hey bud I thought you may have thought those guys were meant to be actual Harlequins or something of the sort. Even still its always good to hear contrary opinions. Glad you dig the poses too. I'm trying to keep the poses dynamic, but also make sure they look good in a squad. My counts-as Wyches don't quite look cohesive as a squad due to the poses being to varied... hopefully these guys'll work better.

@Vonny- Yeah it was really one of the most powerful forces I've ever played against. It was a lot of fun especially when you're not trying to "out power" them in the list department. I dont have the model collection to try and out-spam them either.  I just tried to make a list that had good offensive output and rely upon speed chase down vulnerable targets and stay away from the units I can't beat and whittle them down at a distance... or in the case of the flyers use my maneuverability to get outside their firing angles and wipe out their ground forces and go for objectives. To me a 5 flyer list is WAY over the top but its was a great challenge and I could easily imagine getting ambushed like that in the world of 40k and I'd like to think my Corsair Prince would be up to the challenge of thwarting those conniving Necron cretins!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »
Hey guys got my first game in with the new Codex and it was great. Definitely need to get some different models as my dependence on Wraithguard has left me lacking in some areas but I'll detail that at the end of the bat-rep. Lets begin!

So my list was:
Autarch: Fusion Gun, Fire Sword, Banshee Mask
Wraithblades x5
    Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Avengers x8
    Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Windriders x6- x6 Scatter Lasers
Swooping Hawks x8
Hornets x3- x6 Pulse Lasers
Nightwing
Wraithknight: Wraithcannons, 1x Scatter Laser

My Opponent played Space Marines, with White Scars Chapter Tactics

Khan
8 Bikes: Grav, Attack Bike- Multi-Melta
8 Bikes: Grav, Attack Bike- Multi-Melta
Centurions x3- Gravcannons, Grav-Amp, Omni-Scope
    Land Raider- Classic
Sternguard- Combi-Plasmas
Razorback- Assault Cannons
Vindicator
Formation:
Storm Raven
Storm Talon
Storm Talon

So my list was not completley optimized. Not wanting to take Wraithguard+WWP Archon I was left scratching my head. So I decided to run my Wraithblades as I desperatley want to start incorporating CC into my lists. I've found a distinct lack of a "stopper" unit when my opponent is just ramming his army straight down the gut. Harlequins would have been better but mine aren't finished and they are expensive as hell.

Also as you can see I was "out-flyered" and as usual its 3-1. But I've literally been outclassed 3-1, or even 4 or 5 to 1 so many times I don't even blink an eye anymore. With the changes to Swooping Hawks I've gotten a dramatic bump in that department and my Nightwing is so unbelievably reliable and deadly against flyers that I relish the opportunity to go against the odds and triumph.

Alright so here's the board setup. We played a Maelstrom game where we had three cards a turn. Discard ones you can't play, and discard ones you've achieved. I love Maelstrom games and highly recommend them though they do favor Eldar and Dark Eldar a bit with all our speed.

My opponent won the roll to go first and he chose to go first so here's my deployment/my opponents deployment. He deployed evenly across the board, where I loaded one flank with everything but the Jetbikes. I was trying to lure him towards my principal cluster allowing the Jetbikes to attack him from the rear.

So with my opponent running White Scars he scouted everything up the board with the exception of the vindicator hiding in the Manufactorum ruins. What I wasn't expecting was for him to rush the Land Raider with Centurions right up the middle of the board. I thought he'd play conservativley, hiding it from the Wraithknight but he was bold and it was an excellent move on his part as it trapped my Wraithknight on one side of the board. Also... while you can't see it he had a big squad of bikes with Khan on the far left side of the board, directly across from my Jetbikes which were hidden out of line-of-sight. What this meant was I the bikes were also trapped between the Centurions, the Bikes, and a squad of Sternguard. This was very clever deployment/movement by my opponent. Having played me many times he's really learned how to maintain board control and it showed in the first turn. A pot-shot was taken at my Wraithknight causing a wound but other than that nothing else was in range.

Here was my first mistake: Putting my Windriders on the board at all. Should have held them in reserves.

So Eldar Turn 1- I was really mad at myself for putting the bikes on the board during deployment. I was to eager to get their firepower into the game and hoped foolishly that the profusion of grav meant he was gonna go after the Wraithknight no matter the cost. So when his forces took total control of the center of the board I knew I had made a mistake. There was nowhere to put the bikes without exposing them to a ton of fire and possibly assault. Furthermore with all those flyers coming on I knew they were in trouble. So I turbo'd them to try and reach the right corner of the board where the rest of my forces were. Exposing them to only the Centurions, forcing my opponent to choose between stopping to deal with the bikes, or continuing on to face their priority target: the Wraithknight

So after figuring all that out. I had the Serpents focus on the bikes on my right taking out 6 out of 8! This was a nice swing of fortune as the multi-melta and grav-gun in addition to the rapidly closing Centurions were a big threat to my Wraithknight. Following that my Wraithknight moved up the board (away from the Cenutrions) and took on the Razorback with Sternguard inside. It took both Wraithcannons but he nailed it which was great fun rolling on the destroyer table and he bagged me first blood as well. I then splitfire tagging the bikes and inflicting a casualty which was nice. So that wrapped up turn 1 for me. Killing the Razorback was nice and getting first blood was nice as well but it was far from spectacular. I was praying my bikes would escape significant harm and that my reserves would come in on because the bikes and centurions were already perilously close.

My corner of the board at the end of turn 1:

Space Marines turn 2:

The flyer formation arrives! Everything keeps moving closer! The Land Raider moves up and unloads the Centurions who promptly annihilated my bikes! Blast! I was really cursing myself over that blunder but I saw it coming from the beginning of the game. His bikes then continued to advance up right up behind them. The flyers and remaining bike then throw everything at the Wraithknight wracking up 2 wounds. I was cornered! Never underestimate the maneuverablilty and speed of Space Marines. With flyer support and bikes they can be incredibly fast... and even faster when they are White Scars. I was really feeling the pressure now. I needed a well played turn now more than ever or the debut game of my new codex would go down in flames.

Eldar Turn 2

This was a big turn. My opponent was all over with almost his entire army intact. The Centurions were extremly close to my Wraithknight now and the bikes would be in close combat range of Wave Serpents next turn if I didn't pull out something quick. My reserves roll was going to be of the utmost importance. I needed my Hornets more than ever.... and they failed to come in! This was a huge blow. I then rolled a 3 to bring in the Hawks and really agonized over bringing them in to grab some Maelstrom points... but decided to go against it. I knew I would need them later in the game to bring down the flyer triple threat so I kept them off until I knew I could get them into the right position to succeed. But my Nightwing showed up which gave me just enough tools to pull something off.

So first off I run the Nightwing right at the Soul Drink flyer formation. Putting them nose to nose guaranteed me that without going into hover-mode that I would be able to avoid any return fire from the flyers which is a favorite manuever of mine. I then moved the Wraithknight further up the board (and further away from the Centurions) and almost base-to-base with the remaining bikes on the right flank. My Wave Serpents pulled back further into the corner but all maintaning 24" range so as to use my Shuriken Cannons. I was tempted to "jump flank" and turbo boost to a completley new area of the board... but with so many of my opponents units right in the middle of the board and right next to so many Maelstrom objectives I knew I needed to leverage my full fire-power on him while I had it.

So thats exactly what I did. My Nightwing blasted a Storm Talon out of the sky. My Wraithknight rolled a 6 on the destroyer table sending that accursed Soul Drinker Land Raider back to the Warp where it belonged! Then all 3 Wave Serpents poured everything into the Centurions.... and did nothing! That one hurt. I could have just killed a single Centurion it really would have helped. I then pulled off a clever move and used my Scatter Laser on the Wraithknight to tag the bikes on right flank and assaulted them, killed them and used my consolidation move to get further from the Centurions. It was a gamble... but I needed to down that land raider to nullify it fire power but also to prevent it from transporting the Cenutrions further up the board. I debated deploying my Avengers and really cranking up the heat but I'd be exposing them to the flyers and I couldn't risk losing both their firepower and the scoring ability. So it was a surgical application of force... and as you'll see it set-up the rest of the game very nicely

Space Marines Turn 3

At this point the game was very tight. With my Nightwing nose-to-nose with his flyer formation, and the fact that they were directly on the right board edge he had three choices: go straight ahead and pot-shot a single Wave Serpent, bank left and try and reposition but without any targets to fire upon or go back into on-going reserves and come back on with a clean slate. He chose to go back into reserves... and I smiled a secret smile as a plan began to form in my mind. With that important decision made he then moved the Centurions, and bikes closer to my castled-up position near the right corner and to my horror... he was in range of the Wraithknight!!! He unloaded on my beloved wraith construct and felled it in a single volley. If I had been even a fraction of an inch further away I would have escaped any harm but he was just within range. It was sad to see the Wraithknight go down but he had accomplished his mission and there were no more targets (besides perhaps the Sternguard in the central ruin) for him to go after. Other than that nothing much else happened. Now it was on to my turn... and I was ready to lay the hammer down and set up a trap for turn 4!

Alright so I roll for reserves and I get both the Hornets and the Hawks in. This is the most important turn of the game for me at this point. I need my hornets to come in on the proper flank so I can I take out the Centurions but also as bait for the flyers as you'll see. I also need to roll a good battle-focus roll after deepstrike to hid the Hawks from my opponents flyers which I force off the board, as the hawks have no other viable targets.

So I end up getting the flank I want after my acute-senses roll and they are in position. My Wave Serpents move up as well to get maximum fire power and I unload 1 unit of Avengers to maximize my fire output and pray for some bladestorm action. While my Nightwing moves closer to my opponents deployment zone to force his flyers to fly past mine, come in at angle where they'll have to fly off the board if they do pursue my nightwing... or better yet go after my hornets (which is only good for me IF I take out the centurions first).

So on to the shooting phase! My Hornets pulverize the Centurions though a couple of cover saves almost saves one of them, wiping out the entire unit! That was the most important point of the game. Due to their central position on the board and the objectives they could eliminate any and all opportunities for my infantry to score late in game. They had to go and killing them was very sweet especially after they downed my Wraithknight. Then my Nightwing took out the Vindicator and then some spectacular dice rolls saw my Wave Serpents and Avengers go berserk on the bikes reducing them down to just Khan and a single bike! This was the huge swing I was looking for... and one that I have come to expect when my Hornets hit the board. My opponent was reeling now. With just some Sternguard in the central ruin, two bikes and two flyers his force was in tatters... but I had one last nasty surprise for him.

Space Marine Turn 4

With so little left this was a quick turn. The flyers came in and wrecked two of the Hornets while the last one went unscathed.... Khan moved forward towards the Wave Serpents and the Sternguard pot-shotted my Nightwing and actually penned it! I was sweating this one because my Nightwing hasn't died in over 30 games and I didn't want the streak to end! Luckily he rolled poorly on the pen chart and he survived so I was happy. Yet that was it for the Space Marines on to.....

Eldar Turn 4

Alright so this was the moment I had been waiting for. He took the bait and went after my Hornets (like he did the last time we played) but this time I was ready for him. I had used my battle-focus to hide behind a ruined wall right in his deployment zone so that when the flyers came in to get the hornets they'd fly right over them. So I moved 18" with my Hawks (so much fun) and get 8 haywire hits on the Stormraven and dropped the bad bird like a bad habit (scoring me a "Scour the Skies" Maelstrom card that I'd been saving). Then my Nightwing flew up put a hull point on the last remaining Storm Talon while my Serpents and Avengers finished off Khan. With only the Sternguard and a lone flyer left my opponent conceded. Sweet victory for the Eldar and 1st victory with the new codex. I couldn't have been happier!

So in summation I was thrilled with the way my army performed. I definitley felt the pinch of not having "laser-lock" as I missed A LOT of Shuriken Cannon shots with my Wave Serpent. Only having a 4+ Jink was nerve wracking as well, but it was really no worry once I dedicated myself to playing the range game and using cover. I'll miss being able to just roar out into the open and unloading on my opponents and pay the snap-fire price next turn. But I think the loss of holofields forced me to be more tactical with them, hug cover as much as possible and ultimately suffered far fewer turns of snap-firing. The Wraithknight did well, but as predicted he's not as over-the-top as people made him out to be. My unit of the game had to be the Hawks. They were SO fun to play with. Using deepstrike and battle-focus to ambush the flyers was one of the most fun maneuvers I've ever pulled off and I'm so happy they're gonna be in all my lists going forward. I miss them dearly when playing against Tau or Guard and auto-including them makes life easier for pick-up games at the store. So all-in-all my first experience with the new Dex was a success.

I was happy to see some of my opinions validated on the first game about the new codex as well. While the offensive bump to the Wraithknight is very significant, his defense has largley remained the same. While his defense against poison is significant the ability for opponents to down him with Grav, Melta, Plasma, Lascannons, and all other high strength Ap3 weapons just easily as before with the exception of feel no pain. Mine lasted 3 turns even with me dancing all over the field trying to stay away from the Centurions. Also being a Lord of War means special scenarios, and that 1 formation aside you'll only see one on the board at a time... which is how it should be outside of Apocalypse.

The Jetbikes as predicted died as easily as ever. While their offense went through the roof, high volume of shots, blast and templates will eat them alive as will a unit of Centurions meaning Draigo/Sevrin Loth Auto-Invisible Cenutrion-Star with the best close-combat character in the game teleporting 30" a turn (one of the most over-the-top unit combos of all time, and never a sniff of controversy, or whisper of potential tournament nerfing)  is just as effective as ever against Eldar.

So going forward I'm going to be retiring my Wraithguard for most games and probably use my Wraithknight a bit less. Aspect Warriors are phenomenal now and I think Corsair Fire Dragons, Wind Riders and some form of Autarch on a Bike with perhaps a Void Dreamer Council is in the future. Also my Reavers will probably incorporated as well and Harlies when I can because I still see a glaring need for CC especially to protect the Wind Riders who are going to be essential firebase for the Eldar (when playing high-powered games) with the changes to Wave Serpents. So those are my thoughts!

Stay tuned because there's a lot of hobby stuff coming down the pipe. I've got a Forge World order in bound, I've got my JB's in hand, my Harlies/Starweaver are ready to be primed already my brother has a monstrous piece of terrain half-way finished! So stay tuned!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
Wow that's some heavy weight battle report here. I only have a few things to say^^ very sweet looking table / armies, they both stand out and gives away some nice cohesion color it really work well.
That's some sweet battle plan you showed us and some nice trick i will be sure to keep in mind for my upcoming games with the new dex.
I wilhave to agree with you the new aspect warrior really gives away a good feeling, they will surely see a lot of plays, coming in tournaments and other things. I'm curious to see how you will tweek your list.
Will you be going for the aspect shrine formation? That on the side, with your jetbikes staying in CAD could do some wonder i think.

Well there seems ti be some pretty sweet project in the pipe i'm looking forward to them :D thanks for the update, keep at it^^

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »
An excellent battle report of a well deserved win Cav.  Way to recover from that mistake. :)

Once again, the board and the two painted armies laid out over it looks awesome. :)

The Jetbikes as predicted died as easily as ever. While their offense went through the roof, high volume of shots, blast and templates will eat them alive as will a unit of Centurions meaning Draigo/Sevrin Loth Auto-Invisible Cenutrion-Star with the best close-combat character in the game teleporting 30" a turn (one of the most over-the-top unit combos of all time, and never a sniff of controversy, or whisper of potential tournament nerfing)  is just as effective as ever against Eldar.

That's what I suspected.  They are still glass cannons, so if you can just get them into your sights and pummel them with lots of (cover save ignoring) fire you can drive them off.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
An excellent battle report of a well deserved win Cav.  Way to recover from that mistake. :)

Once again, the board and the two painted armies laid out over it looks awesome. :)

That's what I suspected.  They are still glass cannons, so if you can just get them into your sights and pummel them with lots of (cover save ignoring) fire you can drive them off.

Best counter to jet bikes, dark reaper, no jink save allowed :D hit them hard with a rain of s5 shot :)

I just thought about a metaphore, jetbike are like moskito, the fly around you and harass you with small things, if you don't  touch them you will end up covered buy these, but if you ignore the bite and focus on the moskito, it will at sole point let himself be caught don't let the chance slip in your hand and you are perfectly fine afterward ;)

I just feel so good after finding that, 8) ... when it's not even good but who cares you need to be happy with yourself some times ^^

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
A great battle report to read. I'm glad the aspect shrines are seeing some love, I think they could use it (even if I have no aspect unit myself).
I don't have the codex myself yet, but even without I could see the tactical decisions you made won you the day. I have to admit though that your opponent knew very well what he was doing as well!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
@Grizzly- Thanks Grizz. Appreciate the comments on the board/minis as always. Yeah I'm excited to take my list in some new directions as well. Its gonna be fun to phase out the Wraith units which are supposed to be heirloom units derived from my Corsair Prince's own family. Using them as much as I have is not super fluffy. But to be fair these are just pick-up games and no one's pulling the punches at my store so turn-about is fair play, but when I've got crazy amount of victories that I've achieved in the past half-year and losses in the single digits the Archon+WWP Wraithguard unit is gonna lose me some friends, especially alongside the Hornets and Wraithknight so its sort of forcing my hand but thats not a bad thing. I really want to run other units.

And yes I am going to run an Aspect Host... and I already have the models to rock the Avenger Shrine replete with dedicated Serpents. I actually plan on putting together a LOT of the formations. One of the things thats excited me the most about the new book is that it rewards the long-term collectors, or people looking to expand their armies by incentivizing you to collect your favorite models or themed groups of units. I couldn't ask for more.

@Tangi- Thanks bud! Yeah I really was sweating when the JB's went down. I was really worried with the downgrade to the Serpent's resilience if I could survive the fast moving White Scars storm. But I just buckled down (old school 5th edition style when all you could do was hold on for dear life) played the range game, manipulated my reserves and made sure my target priority was on point. 

Glad you agree with me on the JB's. They are NASTY. There's no denying their offense, but people forget just how fragile they are. So many units will eat a squad a turn with no armor or cover saves like Helldrakes, Flamers of Tzeentch, Dark Eldar Medusae with WWP Archons, Dark Eldar Liquifiers (with proper rolls for AP), Space Marine Hyperios Whirlwinds with ignore cover upgrade, IG Colossi, Deepstriking R'vanah and Y'vahra Riptides. Even just old school units like Basilisks will demolish squads with average dice rolls and make them jink. People are looking only at the hammer and not the glass.

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny! Yeah Chris really did know what he was doing. He's a very clever player and he knows my play style very well. He's one of my favorite opponents, his army is fully painted, he likes playing Maelstrom games and every game we've played has been very close. Can't ask for a better opponent. :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »
I've got to say Cavalier that I really like your battle reports. Yours are some of the few that I can read all the way through and enjoy every word of it. Do you write any fiction?

Would you say that your terrain set up is more dense than it should be or do you consider what we can see in your pictures the minimum that should be used?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
@Alienscar- Thanks man! I really appreciate all the positive feedback I've gotten on the bat-reps. I do write fiction actually. Writing is my principal passion in life, and I actually got back into 40k at the end of 4th edition when I was doing some research for my stories. But my writing is something I do like to keep private especially because it has yet to be published... but suffice it to say though if you ever happen to be reading my stuff someday, long time followers of my project log will definitely see some analogs!

Also for my terrain setup I do consider it the minimum of what should be used, especially in a pick-up game. There are so many alpha-strike armies, and insane amounts of shooting in the game such terrain is truly necessary. No one likes being ambushed in a pickup game, and I always make sure my opponents get a little bit more terrain than I do, especially LOS because I know Eldar can be very frustrating to play against and I want them to have a few turns to decide what they want to do with their most important units.

I actually feel like I don't have enough LOS blocking terrain... but there is only so much I can cart to the store!

Anyway hobby ahoy! My first jetbike is complete minus his weaponry. This was the first time I got to use the Khorne Red primer and what a joy. Makes my life so much easier than airbrushing I can't even tell you. I can't wait to paint him. Also my first FW order arrived, now I'll have enough bits to make all Corsair Jetbikes, finish my Striking Scorpions and round-off my Corsair Hawks to an even 10 men. Also got some Maelstrom Cards which I can't wait to use. Stay tuned more ahead!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
How are the new Jetbikes? The only ones i've put together are the old style for my Shining Spears, and they never were the nicest... lots of gap filling to make things look smooth...
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.