News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting back in the Saddle  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Thane75

• Armies: Space marines, Grey Knights, and starting Orks
Getting back in the Saddle
« on: August 4, 2012, 01:12:45 AM »
I have played 40k off and on since 4th edition. I have a lot of half painted and half built armies.  A few weeks prior to 6e release I went to the LGS and found almost everyone plays marines.  The local joke is what kind of marines do you play?  I read through 6e.  I have read the forums for the last week and I want to join the green menace.  I have been bitten by the Ork bug and I want to go Fast !

I have purchase 2 boxes of Boyz (20) and 1 box of Burnas (5).  Started painting and will start assembling in the next few days.  After being brainwashed by Skeeter, this is what I was thinking for a 2k list.

KOS 1st Draft (Orks)
HQ - 115
Big Mek (115)
burna; kustom force field; bosspole; 'eavy armour.

Elites - 425
15 Burna Boyz (225)
Mek; Mek; Mek.

12 Tankbustas (200)
Nob ('eavy armour; bosspole); tankhammer.

Troops - 1,042
12 Ork Boyz (177)
Nob (power klaw; 'eavy armour; bosspole); rokkit launcha.
• Trukk: red paint job; boarding plank; reinforced ram.

12 Ork Boyz (177)

12 Ork Boyz (177)

12 Ork Boyz (177)

12 Ork Boyz (167)
Nob (power klaw; 'eavy armour; bosspole); shootas; big shoota.
• Trukk: red paint job; reinforced ram.

12 Ork Boyz (167)

Heavy Support - 185
Battlewagon (115)
stikkbomb chukka; deff rolla.

Looted Wagon (70)
2× rokkit launcha; stikkbomb chukka; boarding plank; reinforced ram.

1,767 points

I know I am not at 2k.  What does the community think I should add?  Is my shoota to Slugga ratio good?

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
Re: Getting back in the Saddle
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
List looks good on the whole.
I think I'd reverse your shoota to slugga ratio (i.e. 4 trukks of shootas, 2 trukks of sluggas) in 6th. And some of the shoota nobz can do without PKs, as you have plenty elsewhere (BC are still handy with a boarding plank). I'd also take some more dakka on your BW - 4 big shootas is a lot of dakka for not much.

That done, I'd either add a flyer or two, or some bikes. Even a small squad of nob bikerz is very resilient, or alternatively a couple of 5-6 strong warbike squads would add some fire support to your trukks.

Tankbusters (in the looted wagon?) seem slightly out of place, but you need some anti-tank and anti-air in the list, and I've had some success with exactly this set up, so maybe no probs. At least they're mobile.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Thane75

« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
Would you switch the Tankbusta to lootas and put them in a battle wagon, not a looted wagon?  I really don't have my heart set on any unit specifically.  Just the super Burnas Unit and at least 4 trucks of Boyz. 

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Would you switch the Tankbusta to lootas and put them in a battle wagon, not a looted wagon? 

Not necessarily; Lootas will be better against flyers, (and light vehicles maybe?), barring a lucky shot with the tankbustas; but there's maybe not much in it. Against heavier tanks you want the tankbustas anyway, so you're probably right. I'd prefer a BW over a looted wagon, certainly, but only if you've got the points/slots.
My main concern is that they don't get too detached from the rest of your army, but if they are mobile, that shouldn't be a problem. I still think I'd take a dakkajet with fighta ace as a counter to enemy flyers somewhere in the list, as those seem popular :)

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
That is starting to look like a fantastic KoS list, I am so happy that there is another speed freak among us, I personally invite you to join the Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK and post a reply that you would like to join. You might as well join, as here you can earn teef and show to the world that you are not a poser.

Now on to your list.

For your truck boys I second the motion that you make most of your truck boys into shoota boys. Give the nob the big shoota as he can use it better getting those accurate hits that allow you to choose your victim.

For the burna boys, well you have it right, good stuff, and a great unit.

For your battle wagon pile on four big shootas, even moving cruising speed you can still snap fire the big shootas, and with 12 shots you will hit something, you can leave the stick bomb chuckas as they really wont help anything. Yes a unit can throw a grenade this edition, but I doubt that the low strength and short range of he stick bomb would be worth the points.

For the tank bustas boost their number to the full 15, and give the nob the bomb squigs. What this gives you is 14 shots every turn and with the nob using a bomb squig he can "shoot" for three turns of the game, albeit at a shorter range. Just as a side note in my battle yesterday my tank bustas shot down three dark eldar bombers, so they are good anti aircraft even with the snap firing. If you can squeeze in some points procure a second BW for the tank bustas.

For the looted wagon, a boom gun is always fun, not requiring ballistic skill to hit, and a pie plate to boot. Be sure to give it a few other weapons just in case the boom gun gets shot off.

I am finding the burna bomma to be more useful than the dakka jet. Sure the dakka jet comes on and kills a transport, but then it dies quick from all the other aircraft flying around or anti aircraft fire. The burna bomma comes on at full zoom and drops a bomb on some enemy unit and fires two burna missiles, the dakka guns and the big shootas, usually killing other stuff as well. Then flies off the board dropping its second bomb on the way. Then ongoing reserve it comes on and shoots missiles and guns again, then usually gets shot down. So far my dakka jet has survived only one game in about 20 or so games, while the burna bomma has a 50% survival rate, and does kill a lot of stuff. So I said all that to let you know that if you are investing in a plane I recommend the burna bomma over the dakka jet.

Just my two teef, hope that helps
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
I had wonderful success with my dakka jet yesterday...  So I will have to disagree with Skeet slightly...  The trick with the dakka jet, like most things orks, if to put some more threatening things right in the face of units that could shoot it down.  With my list, I used trukk boyz and biker nobz who are in their face round 1, causing them to normally panic...  As the dakka jet will normally come in turn 2, or 3 at the latest, they are already being swamped by green and the dakka jet starts opening transports for me, which I need so the boyz can get to the juicy insides...

But as Skeet pointed out, the Burna is good too...  It just depends on how you want to use it and what yo want to use it for!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
You've got a big mek HQ, add a Dredd as a troop choice, if you have the space available.  Now, yes it doesn't fit the proscribed KOS lists....But, it just might give you some breathing room for your truck boyz as dreads of any vein are always targeted over troops.  Especially in 6th ed, some missions they can claim objectives; and there are not a lot of players who want to go toe to toe with a dredd on an objective.  Of course, having even suggested this, I will be excoriated by our fellows...oh well...

Jets are great assets too, but they hypothetically start on turn 2...I like to have everything on and ready at the beginning of each game, if the set u doesn't call for only troops choices and everything else comes on later.

Watch your trucks, they are fragile.  I prefer BW, but understand the cost associated with them.  Looted wagons - I haven't been impressed with since our last codex. 

But to each his own...Welcome to the klans!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Thane75

« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
Sorry, I have been working a Battlewagon load of overtime lately.  I haven't bought WD 389 yet.  How many points should I set aside for a jet or bomber.  Perhaps list min/max points, i don't want to get anyone in trouble.  Here is the list with corrections.

KOS 1st Draft (Orks)

HQ - 115
Big Mek (115)
burna; kustom force field; bosspole; 'eavy armour.

Elites - 485
15 Burna Boyz (225)
Mek; Mek; Mek.

15 Tankbustas (260)
Nob ('eavy armour; bosspole); tankhammer; 3× bomb squig.

Troops - 855
12 Ork Boyz (172)
Nob (power klaw; 'eavy armour; bosspole); big shoota.

12 Ork Boyz (172)
Nob (power klaw; 'eavy armour; bosspole); big shoota.

12 Ork Boyz (172)

12 Ork Boyz (172)

12 Ork Boyz (167)

Fast Attack - 190
6 Warbikers (190)
Nob (power klaw; bosspole).

Heavy Support - 270
Battlewagon (135)
4× big shoota; stikkbomb chukka; deff rolla.

Battlewagon (135)
4× big shoota; stikkbomb chukka; deff rolla.

1,915 points

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Looking good, just a slight tweek to the BW's, drop the stick bomb chuckas, as even with grenades orks strike last 99% of the time. Then add in red paint for both of them, and for the tank busta boys BW add in grot riggers.

There are so many choices to finish off the last few points for your army to reach the magic 1999 point. I suggest a Green Baron, you probably have an AoBR set, so make one death copta the baron and your will be pretty much set for the time being.

Looks good! So... When do we get to see some pictures?  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Thane75

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
Let the Looting begin:

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
Looking good  8)

The only problem I see, is not enough red  ;)

Keep up the good work, I count Eight boys, only Fifty Two boys to go  ;D

Offline Thane75

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
Yeah i went with the Death Skullz.  I am still working on my Truck colors.  i am thinking mostly blue with red ram and red on the extra sides of the bed of the truck

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
Looks good Thane...  I would recommend a coat of wash to give your boyz some 3D effect...  On your vehicals, I'm not sure I'd mix red and blue...  I think I'd stick with the blue... 

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!