News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Using Daemons???  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
Using Daemons???
« on: August 8, 2002, 06:04:11 PM »
I myself never use Deamons because I don't like not knowing for sure when they will arive.  To me this is wasting attacks and shots(for the deamons that shoot).  I know that their lo points cost are supposed to balance this out, but I like to plan ahead and it is hard when you don't know whn your forces will arive.  Anyone else agree?

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
Re:Using Daemons???
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2002, 06:23:58 PM »
I disagree. I love that I don't know when the daemons will arrive, because my opponent doesn't know either. I usually field a unit or two of Bloodletters, and while they'll get shot to pieces if you leave them out in the open, they are pretty darn good and holding up a unit for a few turns. I like to drop them in on annoying heavy weapons that skulk in the rear of the battlefield.

Considering the boost for the daemons (see the preview in WD), I think that they might start to get some more play once the new 'dex comes out.

Also...I like playing them because they add a lot of character to my army, and they break the monotony of red armored Marines.

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2002, 06:32:13 PM »
I agree that it is nice to see other models on the table besides a bunch of marines, but it all comes down to how you play.  Whe I play against other chaos armys I don' t look at it as I  don't know when they will arive.  I look at it as I get a few turns I don't have to deal with them.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2002, 06:34:43 PM by Dark Nick »

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 11:58:25 AM »
Why wouldn't you?  Especially under the new rules?!  Daemons add that little punch to your assault when you need it.  And the numbers you need too.  Plus think of it this way if you play an assault army:

#1 You don't need to buy them transports.  A squad of 8 Berzerkers can pop out of a Rhino that can only carry 10 models.  If the Aspiring Champion summons 8 Bloodletters and they don't scatter (which is a double edged sword in its own right as it can give you extra distance or put you to far away to assault.  The odds favor a good result over a bad one though.)  Anyway, that's 16 models getting the benefit of the Rhino instead of 8.  Making the Rhino even more attractive and better for its points.
#2 You can use the Daemons as counter charge units by having them stand behind the combat and thusly out of line of sight. and stop your opponent from winning the fight by sending in reserves.
#3 They can be used as a safety valve.  If you are sure your Bezerkers can chop through, a squad of 12 Fire Warriors, what happens when after that you will be in an assault with 2 squads of 20 Kroot?  Got some Daemons?  Summon them and double your numbers.

For a shooty army:

#1 Tzeentch daemons add to your short ranged fire power.
#2 Gives your opponent a nasty surprise when he rushes towards your lines and will be in assault range next turn and then you summon your daemons and charge them.  This is where psychology can win you the game.  They will be confused and in need of a new tactic for use against you.  You can use this to your advantage if you are a veteran player.  Move through your turn quickly and leave them little time to think and you will have iniative for the rest of the game.

On the topic of them not coming in:
Take it to the chin or better yet think ahead!  Taking a single squad of Daemons will rarely do it.  Take 2 squads of Daemons in your army or none at all.  Second, remember the turns, even two assault armies moving in Rhinos will not truly engage each other until turn 3.  Meaning your daemons come in on a 3+.  You will probably win at least one combat and on the following turn your daemons come in on a 2+!

If you doubt my experience with daemons, I'll let you in on a not so well kept secret:  I play Word Bearers and Eldar.  My Word Bearers revolve around my daemons.  I have equal amounts of daemons and marines: 31 of each and 4 tanks.  I will post that list soon for comments on how to improve it.

Thank you and remember the famous words of Yogurt:
"May the Schwartz be with you."

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2002, 04:04:42 PM »
The preview of the new daemon rules has some interesting results.

Bloodletters are great now, and as a Khorne player I'm a little upset about this. While I love their great statline and special rules, I'm not enthused about the amount of flak I'm going to take over it. Every player from here to the Moon will moan over it...that is until they all get their own new codices.

The Plaguebearers are okay, but not great.

Flamers and Horrors...well, I think they really got screwed. Daemonettes are also screwed over, as they're just a bad version of Bloodletters now (that -1 I rarely does anything).

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 06:43:46 PM »
Daemons combined with deepstrikers can get some....very interesting results.

I once had 2 terminator units, 2 groups of bloodletters and a group of juggies appear right behind my lines after he made some nifty rolling on turn 4.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2002, 06:04:46 PM »
Maybe I will deamons a chance once I start expanding on my Thousand Son army.  Just like Sparq said though,  I'm not very impressed with the new rules for Flamers and Horrors.  Hopefully things will change before the new codex arrives.  (seems like forever)