News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Second Attempt at a Squad - Ultramarines  (Read 1135 times)

Offline hearingyourlies

• Been sober 13 days and 7 nights.
    • McGuire's on Main
Second Attempt at a Squad - Ultramarines
« on: October 4, 2007, 02:43:02 PM »
Well, here they are (forgive the camera thing, still haven't gotten it quite down) -

And what i'm working on now, slightly less than codex they may be -

Yes, those are TWO chainswords

Go easy. This is only the second squad i've painted.
"The glue that held his fragile mind from sundering into pieces began to come undone, awful knowledge of insignificance of being and the pointlessness of action tore at his sense of who he was and he desperately fought to hold onto his identity."

Offline Todosi

Re: Second Attempt at a Squad - Ultramarines
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
All in all, looks pretty danged good!!  You may want to spend a bit more time filing off mold lines and such to help your finished product.  Also try watering down your paint on the palette a bit more.  You can see the texture of the paint which is usually a sign that it's too thick.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
In general - thin your paint. Other then this they are neatly painted will look good on the tabletop

Offline hearingyourlies

• McGuire's on Main
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The mold lines were something I noticed initially - not thinking to invest in a set of files until AFTER I had basecoated about 20 or so marines. Oh well, live and learn.

And the texture ... well, I just didn't know how to eliminate it. Now I do. That'll be the next batch!

Thanks again.
"The glue that held his fragile mind from sundering into pieces began to come undone, awful knowledge of insignificance of being and the pointlessness of action tore at his sense of who he was and he desperately fought to hold onto his identity."

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
Well I think the two replies that are here already pretty much sum up which I thought were weakest points in these minis: the mold lines and the paint itself. It could be that your primer is sprayed on a bit too thick, but judging by the chunkyness of the paint I think it's your paint that needs a bit more thinning. Are you painting straight from the paint jar? Then consider using a palette to add a bit of water to your paints.

Some areas also lack shading: for example the recesses in the armour, or the grenades for example. If you want fast and easy shading then use washes (ink or paint). Another thing that could benefit from washes are the metallics, especially the gold. And those skintones need work too :)

But in general I think these models show that you are capable of much more: the should pad trims and other details such as the skulls and purity seals show that you have brush control, and the patience to paint without messing up. Just try to make every marine you paint look a bit better than the previous then this army will look great! :)

keep up the good work

Offline hearingyourlies

• McGuire's on Main
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
Washes. I've never had much luck with them. They always seem to run where I don't want them to, and when they dry, they don't look that much different.

And for some reason, my flesh doesn't come out so hot. I try the shading thing, but it isn't cutting the mustard.

In all honesty, I think these mini's are already leagues ahead of my first ones (which is the point, right?).

Thanks again for all the good advice, tips and criticisms.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
actually the textured paint looks more like they were spray undercaoted when it was humid out. quite often i spray up some mini's quick only to discover later (in horror) that they look all fuzzy. on days when its going to be humid i just spary closer to the model and give it a good bath in primer, enough to get it wet looking but not enough to make it thick and runny.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
not bad. Thin the paint and file of the mould lines and they'll look great!
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Gerrie

• Peace through superior firepower.
    • Corvus' Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2007, 03:14:32 PM »
In all honesty, I think these mini's are already leagues ahead of my first ones (which is the point, right?).

Excactly. If you try out new things on every mini you paint, and see the progression in new paintjobs, you're on the right track.

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »
You need to file of the mould lines and the first one has a bumpy texture but apart from that they look realy good.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline Turanos

• None can withstand the Black Tide.
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
Everyone's already said what I was going to about the texture - other than that, they look awesome!