News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Road to Conflict!/DC's blog of random stuff (Now with pics and video interview)  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Blackveil

This will be the project log for my currently unnamed lizard daemons. I am hoping to have this army finished in time for Adepticon.

Fluff is still a little rough, but here goes.....(if you don't want to read it, scroll down the page for pics of the first minis):

The (unnamed, still thinking of one) are a very small xenos race, who's numbers are currently at around the 1,000,000 mark. They bear a strong resemblance to reptilian creatures, with scaled bodies, flickering tongues, and cold blood. The communicate with each other by a series of eerie clicks, whistles, and grunts. They are a primitive race, enslaved by the cruel Imperium to work on mining worlds. As a result of this, they have a hate of all other living things, and that hate and anger has been boiling together for so long, that when a small group of them attempted a revolution, their fury was so great that it attracted the attention of Khorne. This revolution quickly faltered, but not before hundreds of Imperials were slain by a mere handful of (post lizard-daemon name here).

A certain very powerful and influential (insert lizard daemon name here) by the name of Xch-Ti-Jx-Tqk (pronounced itch-tee-jach-tech) began hearing whispers in his head, whispers of conquest, of battle, and most of all, revenge. Led by this mysterious force, who he had no way of knowing was Khorne, he constructed a great statue of the (insert lizard-daemons name here)'s god, known as Fegrym (a merciless, battle hungry god), hidden from the watchful eyes of the Imperium. When this was finished, thousands of (insert name here) rallied to this monument of defiance. The Inquisition was send to investigate this strange happening. Upon seeing what had happened, and fearing revolution, forces were dispatched to quell the uprising. Within a few weeks, the poorly-equipped (insert name here) were beaten back, and merely a few thousand remained. Cornered and seeing no other course of action, Xch-Ti-Jx-Tqk offered himself and his followers up as a sacrifice to the mysterious voice he had heard, in return for their lives. His body crumbled into dust, and the statue which had started the rebellion began to heat up. The bodies of the (insert name here) began to warp and mutate, their long-pent up anger being released, having physical changes on their body. The statue, which had been possessed by a might Bloodthirster, stepped off it's dais, and roared a might battle cry. The now mindless, insane killing machines that had once been the (insert name here) rallied to him, and they cut a path through the Imperial forces.

Their were a smaller group of the (insert name here), known as the (insert other name here), which resembled their brethren, but were much smaller and had slightly greater intelligence. Deeming they weren't worthy for combat, Khorne ignored them, hoping they would be slaughtered by the Imperials upon being left behind. However, Tzeentch also saw an opportunity, that the (insert lizard daemon name here) would need a form of escaping from the planet. Thus, he gifted the (insert other name here) with the ability to open portals for the (insert lizard-daemon name here) to go from planet to planet. Unable to deny how important this was, the (insert other name here) were spared by whom the (insert name here) believed to be Fegrym, but was actually a Bloodthirster.

Having escaped the Imperium, the (insert name here) are now cutting a bloody path of revenge across the galaxy, intent on destroying every form of life, or dying in the attempt.

Picture time! first up, Fegrym, counts-as Skarbrand:

Next two test counts-as bloodletters:

Enjoy!!! I still need a name, C&C welcome.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:02:09 AM by Dark Corsair »
2011 Grim Open GT Best General

Offline Blackveil

Update!!!!!!!!
No pictures at the moment, however I have 1 Bloodletter, 1 Horror, and Skulltaker on Juggernaut counts-as all either drying or awaiting basing. Watch this space..........

I also got my Adepticon ticket!!!!! Illinois or Bust.

What did the dying soldier say to the spear that killed him?

"I've met your end........"

................... All right, enough of the Khorny jokes, time for the real reason of this update.

The proposed army is currently looking like this........

Skarbrand

Skulltaker on Juggernaut

Herald (Khorne) on Chariot

10 Bloodletters w/ Icon

10 Horrors w/ Changeling and Bolt

5 Bloodletters

5 Bloodletters

Daemon Prince w/ Death Strike, Unholy Might, and MoK

Total: 1500

Hoping to play a game this weekend with the army (I suppose I should have added, the army is already finished as far as converting goes, I just now started painting). If so, I'll be sure to post how it went.

DC out! ;D

Offline Blackveil

Re: Road to Adepticon!/DC's blog of random stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2010, 04:28:38 PM »
Update!!!!

Unfortunately I won't be playing Daemons at Adepticon, as my army isn't "tournament legal". Whatever that means........

So I emailed the TO, and got switched to being listed as "Imperial Guard." That isn't to say I won't finish my Daemon army, it just won't be the main priority. So this has become sort of a "general blog."

My IG army is all fully painted already, but I will be adding some new units. I'll put up pics of the rest of the army if anybody is interested.

Here's some pics of some stuff I've done recently........

Pask conversion.

Ork lootas/flash gitz. More pics of them........

And for those of you who love the lizard stuff (which I can tell by the massive amount of comments) here's a Skulltaker!........that still needs basing

Too bad my army isn't legal, because I played a Space Wolves army last weekend, and wiped him by turn 3..........

DC Out!

« Last Edit: November 8, 2010, 04:35:16 PM by Dark Corsair »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
Unfortunately I won't be playing Daemons at Adepticon, as my army isn't "tournament legal". Whatever that means........

I don't get it, did they say what the problem is? What you've shown seems fairly suitable on the WYSIWYG front....
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
UPDATE!!!!

I don't get it, did they say what the problem is? What you've shown seems fairly suitable on the WYSIWYG front....

Adepticon model rules read: "your army should be primarily constructed of models from the given game system and appropriate model range(s). Supplementing your army with models from outside the range is acceptable but should NOT be the norm."

Seeing as none of my army actually consists of Chaos Daemon models, I had to change it.

I've got pictures of my IG. Here's the current army list:

CCS w/ 2x Snipers and AC - 70
Chimera - 55

Marbo - 65

PCS w/ 4 GLs - 50
Chimera - 55
Infantry w/ GL - 55
Infantry w/ GL - 55
HWS w/ 3x ML - 90
HWS w/ 3x ML - 90

Veteran Squad w/ 3x Flamers - 85
Veteran Squad w/ 3x Flamers - 85

Vendetta - 130
Vendetta - 130

Exterminator w/ Pask - 200
Basilisk - 125
Manticore - 160

Total - 1500

The models I still need to get are:
1x Chimera
2x Vet squads minus the flamers (already have them)
Company Commander and 1x Sniper model.
6x Heavy Weapon Teams
1x Basilisk.

So that's a battleforce, a HWS, a Chimera, and a Basilisk.

Here's some pics of what I do have so far.......Please note I am by no means a good painter  :(

Infantry Squads/PCS

Valkyrie, soon to be a vendetta:

Vendetta, still needs LCs put on:

Exterminator:

Manticore:

Chimera:

And finally, test model for the Vet squads that will be in the Vendettas. Can't decide whether to go with this paint scheme, or with the standard Cadian scheme. This scheme matches the Vendettas, and it does say in the codex that veteran squads are attached to other regiments......

DC out!

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
UPDATE!!!!!!

I'm not going to Adepticon Youngbloods. Instead I'm going to the Conflict GT.

:o

Why? I've thoughts long and hard about this.

1.) I'd be playing against nineteen 12-year-olds who just started playing that their veteran dads brought along. Believe me. It says so on the Adepticon forums.  :(

2.) My daemon army is allowed

3.) I looked at the price of plane tickets. :'(

So I'm going to finish my Daemon army. I've got two Daemon Princes for you guys to see......after I get back from my little brother's chess tournament (why do I have to go and watch? It's a bunch of 10-year-olds playing a 100-year-old game. They're armies aren't even different!)

So this log will now become a painting marathon to get around 30 models done before January. Gulp.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:49:14 AM by Dark Corsair »

Offline Blackveil

Re: Road to Conflict/DC's blog of random stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Gah. Still can't find the stupid camera. >:(

Only about 3 weeks left till the Conflict. The Nurgle Daemons are fully painted -3 nurglings. Now if I could just find the stupid camera........

Hoping to get a few games in this weeks before Christmas, and after. Anyways, here's what the current list looks like:

The Eye of Nurgle, Supreme Plagueherald (Fateweaver)

Great Unclean One w/ Breath of Chaos and Aura of Decay

2 Beasts of Nurgle w/ Noxious Touch

2 Beasts of Nurgle w/ Noxious Touch

7 Plaguebearers w/ Instrument

5 Plaguebearers w/ Instrument

5 Plaguebearers w/ Instrument

3 Nurglings

Daemon Prince w/ MoN, Iron Hide, Flight, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Breath of Chaos

Daemon Prince w/ MoN, Iron Hide, Flight, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Breath of Chaos

Total - 1747

So, very Deathstar-ish. Works quite well. Distract opponent and do most of the killing with EoN and Princes. Beasts of Nurgle screen, and plaguebearers drop on objectives, and nurglings can tie up units such as ratlings or longfangs that can do plenty of harm to my army.

Hopefully pictures will be up soon....

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
Glad to see the Eye of Nurgle riding to battle (a great idea), you need to get a pic up 8)

What splits are you thinking for the two waves?

Any news on the lizard daemons? I liked them  ;)

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
Glad to see the Eye of Nurgle riding to battle (a great idea), you need to get a pic up 8)

What splits are you thinking for the two waves?

Any news on the lizard daemons? I liked them  ;)

The Eye of Nurgle will show up as soon as the  :o ing camera shows up.

The lizard daemons were put on hold until the Nurgle Daemons were finished, however I can probably do a few more in the 2 days left leading up till Christmas if you would like.

For the two waves it will largely depend on the situation at hand, although Fateweaver and atleast 2 princes will be in the first wave practically every time. For example, if my opponent had ignore-invulnerable saves weaponry of any kind, beasts would go in the first wave to screen Fateweaver. The Great Unclean One will usually be in the 2nd wave, to draw fire from the squishier units if I roll badly.

Edit: Just hit 300 views! Also, I'm going to my LGW tomorrow, so I'll do my best to get some kind of battle report.

Offline ogyon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »
I so like the weathering on those tanks. GJ!

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
I so like the weathering on those tanks. GJ!

Thanks, although it didn't come out exactly as planned, it works well enough. I used the same technique as Rob (Spikey Bitz blog), however with slightly different colors.

Also, on the camera and taking pictures: If nothing else, I'm hoping/probably getting a new phone for Christmas, so I can take some pictures with that. I've searched everywhere for the camera, but it hasn't shown up.

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:48:48 AM »
Christmas was awesome! I think the Cadian 73rd may be making an appearance at this tournament instead, as I got all the things I need to finish my mech list ;D

Yes, I did playtest the Daemons. We'll say this. FATENURGLE DOESN"T DIE. During the game, I didn't lose a SINGLE MODEL, and killed half of a Green Tide Ork army, including Ghazkghull. Granted, I did have a fair bit of luck, but they worked extremely well. If I do use my Daemons at the Conflict, it will be that exact same list.

Now, on the subject of the Conflict......it's a mere 20 days away. Which means if I'm playing the Cadian 73rd, then I need to get painting. Here's the "to-do" list:

- Paint 1x Manticore
- Paint 1x Chimera
- Paint 10x Penal Legion
- Paint 1x Techpriest
- Make a display board.

Since my army is snow themed, with snow bases (there are plenty of pictures of them in the before posts), I'll take one of the 2'x2' black MDF boards I have lying around, and simply spray it white, so that it has some rock showing through, but is mostly white. Now on to the subject of the army list I would run......

Primaris Psyker - 70

Primaris Psyker - 70

Techpriest - 45

Marbo - 65

Veteran Squad w/ 3x GLs - 85
Chimera w/ HK - 65
Veteran Squad w/ 3x GLs and AC - 95
Chimera w/ HK - 65
Veteran Squad w/ 2x Flamers 1x Plasma and Demolitions - 115

Penal Legion - 80

Valkyrie w/ MRP - 130

Vendetta - 130

Leman Russ Squadron - 405
Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Pask and LC
Leman Russ Executioner

Manticore - 160

Manticore - 160

Total - 1750

So what do you think? Demo vets and PL go in the Valkyrie and Vendetta respectively. Scout forward, then on first turn, disembark, move, shoot, and assault. Psykers join to vets in the chimeras. LRs and Chimeras make a wall in front of the Manticores. Thoughts? Comments? Criticism? I can "bubble wrap" the armor wall if needed, using the "nightshroud" ability to give the vets some extra protection.

Offline Blackveil

Re: Road to Conflict!/DC's blog of random stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Ok, so I found the camera.......now it's telling me I don't have the right software to upload pictures. >:(  ??? I've done this a thousand times, and your telling me I need to have the right software?

Gah.........so pictures have been taken, just not uploaded. Anyway, I seriously need help deciding on an army. I'll list the pros and cons of each, as well as how they did in their most recent tournament.

Daemons

Pros:
Painting is finished and display board is almost finished, so they require little work to finish.
Army is fully converted, so maybe some bonus points on appearance.
Army playtested very well.
Army has very powerful "hit" units

Cons:
The Army List is very hit or miss. Requires luck to do well. I would run them in a 1 day tourny, but with 5-6 games, I don't think I'll get the required wave and scatters for all of them. I need to win all my games to get a shot at 1st or 2nd.

Recent Tournament: Hasn't been to one yet.

Imperial Guard

Pros:
Playtesting was phenomenal. The army I played against was of the board by the end of TURN TWO.
Very scary for an opponent to go up against.
Is probably my best painted army.
I'm more skilled with this army than the Daemons.

Cons:
Can easily be beaten by a skilled player. Requires 1st turn against most armies. It'll blow some armies away, but other armies it just can't deal with.
Needs to most work of the three armies.

Most Recent Tournament status: 5th-6th place out of 14 people.

Chaos Space Marines

Pros:
It's a "surprise" style list (the army is far from your typical netlist, with little bundles of death worked into the fabric
Opponents either A) underestimate the list and what it can do and get trounced or B) think "how the *EDIT* did this thing win it's last game?" and then freak out and make mistakes.
Needs less work (paint wise) than IG
Army is very resilient and model-heavy by marine standards

Cons:
Will die to dark eldar. Dark Lances will easily take out my land raiders, and they can just run away from me all game shooting at me. Little worried about this with the new codex release.
Painting isn't great, but it's not bad either. Has a plenty of simple conversions, and a few very hard ones.

Most Recent Tournament: Came in 4th place, with a Massacre, a Draw, and a Minor Win.

So what do you guys think?

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
I'd go with the daemons, they sound cool and I really like "The Eye Of Nurgle". Everybody will need some luck to win a tournament and even without it there aren't many armies you'll auto-lose against.

The imperial guard are probably the most powerful of your armies but also the most predictable, everyone knows how to play against them but that knowledge wont always help them if you get first turn  ;) but then we're back to luck.

I'm not sure whats in your chaos marine list but I find the chaos marines are a little outclassed verses SW and BA and you'll face alot of them no doubt.

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
I'd go with the daemons, they sound cool and I really like "The Eye Of Nurgle". Everybody will need some luck to win a tournament and even without it there aren't many armies you'll auto-lose against.

The imperial guard are probably the most powerful of your armies but also the most predictable, everyone knows how to play against them but that knowledge wont always help them if you get first turn  ;) but then we're back to luck.

I'm not sure whats in your chaos marine list but I find the chaos marines are a little outclassed verses SW and BA and you'll face alot of them no doubt.

Broadly put, my CSM army is dual LRs w/ an Abbadon-lead summoned daemon horde. Doesn't operate exactly like that, but you get the picture. Funny you should say BA will give me a hard time, that was the army I massacred againct :D

I don't think I could pull off a win with IG in every round. There are going to be a lot of people there (Jawaballs, Fritx, Black Matt, etc.) who know very well how to deal with the IG, even if they do get 1st turn.

So IG are out........that leaves CSM and Daemons. I don't really feel as confident with CSM as I do with daemons. So daemons it is.

Offline Blackveil

Pictures of my army following a very unflattering interview of me can be found here:
http://www.chaos-space-marines.blogspot.com/
A full report of the tournament will soon follow.........