News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Orks Have Landed  (Read 4489 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
The Orks Have Landed
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
The Orks Have Landed
First Blood of the Knuckles on Necrodermus.

This is a batrep of the fight that I had with lettheharvestbegin from the Necron side. 3k points ambush. My list is posted here http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=205303.msg2513242#msg2513242

His list:
Necron Lord destroyer body, chronometron, nightmare shroud, phase shifter
Necron Lord lightning field, phase shifter, resurrection orb
20 warriors
20 warriors
20 warriors
15 warriors
15 warriors
4 destroyers
4 destroyers
10 scarab swarms
Monolith, power matrix
Monolith, power matrix

Awty Dakkatoof looked down at the long road leading through the valley, nothing was moving. “it’s quiet”, he said, “too quiet”, he paused for a moment thinking that maybe the living metal will be on the other side of that hill, and then yelled “so lets go make some noise” and he gunned the throttle of his bike and with a horrendous “Waaagh” led his army down the road

The battle started with the necrons winning first turn, and after set up immediately set to getting in close to the orks to use their double tap ability from their guass weapons.

As Awty drove down the road he saw movement out of the corner of his eye, “Ambush” he roared and headed towards the nearest thing he saw.

Everything in the necron army moved to get into double tap range, one monolith moving 12 landed in a crater and got immobilized. At the lead the monolith shot at the bikers and the lead battle wagon, failing to penetrate the battle wagon and getting 6 hits on the bikers who saved them all. The lead unit of destroyers fired on the bike and caused 5 wound of which 4 were saved.
The other monolith shot the green baron, the rear battle wagon 3 trucks and the rockit trakk. Failed to wound the baron, The mek with KFF saved most of the glances and penetrates except for one truck and the rockit track. The truck careened into the battle wagon and the explosion killed 4 boys. A squad of 20 necron opened up on the rockit trakk and glanced it to death. Another necron squad opened up on the dismounted boys and even with the 5+ cover save they all died. Another squad fired at the truck with the ard boys and got through the KFF and caused the truck to crunch, then another squad opened up on the dismounted boys and killed 2. The destroyer necron lord with scarabs assaulted the lead battle wagon and got it to explode, killing of 2 of his own swarms and 2 more ard boys, the mega nobs got out unscathed and passed their LD and were standing in front of the destroyer necron lord

The orks having been woke up swung into action, the bikes went after the lead destroyers, the boss peeling off to go after the monolith, The rear battle wagon swung around and got into position to let the burnas do their work, the truck of blue shirts jumped out of their truck on a crater edge to get ready to assault, the other trucks moved from the right to the left, the green baron and the scorcha moved to the scarab swarms. The mega nobs moved to make sure they were close enough to the destroyer lord to get into combat. The death roller had hit the second monolith and it failed its skimmer roll and was immobilized, the flame template reached out and covered the necron squad and had 120 hits that turned into 64 wound and the necrons saved all but 17 of them.

The bikers dakka gunned the destroyers knocking down 3 of them, the green baron got a stunned on the monolith and the scorcha killed off 2 bases of scarabs. The flash gitz rolling an ap2 killed off 2 more bases, and the boom gun hit and killed the last of the flamer victims squad. AWTY charged the immobile monolith and killed it, the nobs charged the destroyers and wiped them out, as there was no unit close enough the destroyers would not be back. The blue shirts charged a unit of necrons won the combat and the unit passed its LD. The ard boys charged the unit with the foot lord and were massacred, the needing a 4 to stay in combat but rolling an 11 the nob used his boss pole to cause a wound on the last ard boy who failed his armor save then I rolled a 12, then for the sweep escape rolled a 1 and the necron player rolled a 5. The mega nobs killed off the scarab swarms and the destroyer lord for no wounds in return. Since the destroyer lord was out of range of the res-orb he was permanently dead.

End of turn 1 Necrons 5, Orks 4

AWTY yelled for the army to get stuck in, there was entirely too much shooting going on. He watched as most of the junked necrons pulled themselves together and stood back up.

Necron destroyers moved to get a clear shot at the mega nobs, the rest of the necron squads moved to try to surround the blue shirt squad. The monolith tried to teleport the embattled squad out of combat and found that they were out of range so the blue shirts were spared a shooty death. The necron monolith shot the battle wagon with the burna boys and immobilized it, and the necron lord and his squad shot the rear of the burna battle wagon and destroyed it. The burna boys got unscathed and hid on the far side of the wagon to avoid a large squad and to stay out of assault range. The consolidated large squad fired at the flamers but since there were only 2 sticking out of the end they got a 4+ cover save and so only 4 died to guass shooting. Another necron squad shot the empty truck and got a crunch result. The destroyer squad caused 5 wounds and one mega nob failed to make his save. The only combat with the blue shirts ends up with the orks winning again and the necrons making their LD again.

The burna boys moved out of cover and into a semi circle around the necron lord and his unit, the mega nobs turn and head towards the other side of the road, the bikes move towards the destroyers and so did the scorcha, the green baron stayed just out of range of the monoliths weapons and the red pants boys get out of their truck to assault the unit behind the lords unit. The flash gitz finally weigh in with a roll of ap3 and drop 7 in the lords squad, the flamers burn down 11 more of the same unit, the scorcha hit the destroyers and dropped two the bikers dakka gunned the rest and they too were all the way dead as there were no more destroyers nearby. The green baron of course missed and the boom gun got 5 with its template. The burnas assaulted the lord and his one warrior, the red shirts assault the other unit of necrons, the blue shirts again win their fight 3 to 1 and the necrons finally fail their LD and were swept. The red pants win their combat but the necron squad rolls snake eyes and stay. The burna boys lose one boy and kill the necron lord and his one warrior consolidating towards the BW for the cover save.

End of turn 2 Necrons 6, Orks 9

“We got them where we want them boys, get em!” Shouted AWTY as he gunned his bike towards the large squad of necrons that were standing up and moving together.

The necron lord failed his WBB and so the orb left play, causing the unit that got swept to stay down. All the rest of the necrons stood and joined other squads leaving one squad of 43 and a squad of 13 and one immobile monolith.
The large squad moved towards the center of the ork traffic jam and opened up on the burna boys. A little pay back, 68 hits, 29 wounds and the burna boys were so much sawdust. The monolith killed a truck with its whip, and its 6 hits on the last battle wagon were saved by the KFF. The combat went poorly for the necron squad and the red pants won the fight thanks to the nob killing 3 and the small squad got swept.

The mega nobs continued to move towards the large pack of necrons, the blue shirts, and the red pants moved to within 1 inch of the necron squad, the bikers moved into position and the scorcha and green baron moved towards the monolith. The green baron missed the monolith again, and the bikers dakka gunned the large squad killing 4, he removed 4 warriors between the mega nobs and the squad. The flash gitz killed another 4 and again he removed the casualties away from the mega nobs. Seeing that the mega nobs were barely in charge range now I declared that I was going to waagh and then run the mega nobs, rolling a 1. Then when it came time for the charge rolled a 2, blocking most of the biker nobs from getting into combat. The red pants charged the blue shirts charged and AWTY and 1 nob made it to contact the rest were blocked by mega nobs so they just moved to maintain coherency.
The combat went well between the two squads of boys killing 6, the necrons swung back and killed 4, then the two nobs and AWY swung in with power klaws and killed off 7 more, of course he did not get snake eyes and were swept causing the rest to phase out.

End of turn 3 Necrons 8, Orks 10. Necrons phased out, Orks win.

AWTY looked around the field and saw a few bits and pieces of the metal warriors laying around, the meks were already scavenging, he knew that if these warriors kept disappearing like that he would have a heck of a time getting all that living metal for the big meks to make a living stompa. Oh well he had lots of time, nothing better to do, and he was already here. Time to get krumping.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: The Orks Have Landed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
Well played. Looked like a great game. I really need to play more big games like this.

I thought monoliths could only ever move 6" in the first turn they moved 12". At least thats what the necron players that I know tell me.

Offline Commissar Fuklaw

• Did anyone order pie? How about just the plate?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:45:28 AM »
I was at the game shop for this battle, and it was just as fantastic as Skeetergod described it. A lot of fun even just to watch. The only thing I think Skeetergod understated was how glorious it was to see 120 burna wounds rolled simultaneously on a 15 man Necron squad. That's just excessive(ly hilarious). I'm an Imperial Guard commander, and I can get a squad of rank and file Guardsmen to fire maybe 90 lasgun shots. 15 Burna Boyz going to town on that squad of Necrons was great.

So, for those of you wanting to see what it's like for that to happen... yes, Skeetergod DID roll all those dice.

And here's what it looked like before all the carnage took place. You will notice that the Monolith model in the back LIGHTS UP.

So yes, it was a fantastic battle, fun to watch both sides play EVEN IF THEY WERE XENO SCUM! :)

I also have to give Skeetergod major props for fielding Flashgitz and having them be useful!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:49:21 AM by Commissar Fuklaw »

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »
Firstly, welcome to 40konline Commissar Fuklaw!  This being your first of what I'm sure will be a number of posts.  Perhaps you and good old Skeetergod will one day soon have a massive battle like this posted up on the boards.  I think you'll find that there is no better place in the whole of the interwebs with which to discuss tactics, battles, and just the general 40k (or fantasy warhammer) stuff.

And to Skeetergod I gotta say holy [expletive deleted] that is one HECK of a game!  Man oh man did you and your opponent ever rock this mission!  I mean seriously this is a solid gold game!  You seriously went to town on dem shiny tin 'eads!  What a crazy game man, and a major blow to those Necron tomb boyz.

In fact I'd say this game is proof positive that the Ork legends of 'Morgargdurlurkgulsh ardregsnikslag' (the fortress of ancient, terrifying power, land of waiting death, pain and destruction, home of the undying silver boyz) is nothing but talk and the Orks are gonna stomp them into dust in pursuit of the Necrodermis Generator.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: For more info on the background of this game which is part of the Knuckles on Necrodermis - the Necron forum vs Ork Forum campaign! click this linky
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:31:43 AM »
As was said before, I'm also almost positive that monoliths can only move 6 inches in the movement phase, it's some sort of special rule for the monolith.

Looked like a fun game though overall. Those burna boyz did a scary amount of wounds and looked like loads of fun.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
Nice enough game, the Batrep is pretty good SKEETERGOD as I love the pics to go with the write-up.

Good looking mob, nice Tomb as well (especially the light-up Mono). I am a bit surprised by the Necron army list though, as large Warrior squads are just not that effective in 5th.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »
Someone's setting the bar nice and high for certain! Congrats on the victory. I don't think I'd have been brash enough to load my necrons on the frontlines like that, even with the benefit of the mission largely going to the attacker. The Orks can get to grips far too quickly with the warriors and that spells bad times for the Necron army.

It does make me nostalgic for some of the older missions, back before the days of 3x3.

If you were using the Necrons instead of the Orks, what might you have done differently?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
If I had been using the necrons instead of orks I would have done a few things different

Now I don't know what he has for models, but I would have taken more destroyers and less warriors. The destroyers as far as I know are jet bikes, and they had a much longer range weapon than the warriors. So the move around and shoot alot tactic would have been far better. (like I use my biker/vyper eldar army to do, spokes of the wheel are shooting lanes and the hub is the enemy unit, shooting and avoiding CC as much as possible)

I am also not sure what other options necrons can take but he sorely needed some CC stuff, maybe more swarms to absorb the charges and keep the warriors out of combat until conditions were optimal. I think I will have to read his codex and see what kind of stuff necrons have and help him to come up with a better plan.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
First off I would not have run the list that the Necron player ran.

Necron Lord destroyer body, chronometron, nightmare shroud, phase shifter
Necron Lord lightning field, phase shifter, resurrection orb
The Destroyer Lord I like; but the second lord would have been a C'tan for me, and the Deciever is my preferred C'tan as he offers a lot of weird support options.

20 warriors
20 warriors
20 warriors
15 warriors
15 warriors
These look cool on the table; but 5th Ed Combat Rezolution makes short work of them in many cases. Thus I would have broke them down into squads of 10 machines each (maybe going as many as 12 in some cases). 6 Units instead of 5 to get the Unit spread, and then shovel the left over points into that C'tan and some other stuff. Such as Pariah, Flayed Ones, Immortals, or Tomb Spiders; but probably Pariahs and TS's as like the Non-Necron factor they bring and the CC options.

4 destroyers
4 destroyers
10 scarab swarms
For me Destroyers come in groups of 5 or not at all. Since he has the Scarabs he is restricted to 2 units of Destroyers; but in this case a large Scarabs Swarm is not a great thing either. Its too hard to manuover and to easy for the enemy to "pull" out off the way with CC. I would run 3 groups of 5 Destroyers without Scarabs if I had TS's and Pariah, or pump the Destroyer units to 5 each and reduce the Scarabs to about 5 swarms as they are dead meat "sacrificial lambs" anyway.

Monolith, power matrix
Monolith, power matrix
Just a note; but the Power Matrix is standard equipement on a Mono (not a option); and Monolith's only move at a 6" rate or DeepStrike. Twin Towers can be cool; and used correctly they can block enemy advances etc; but with such large Warrior groups I would have rather had 3 Mono's or at least used them in a different manner. Road Block, teleport through to mass Rapid Fire, etc. I personnally go without them and would have used a bucketload of Tomb Spiders in their place. I do use a Mono from time to time so I do know how; but having them way out on the fringes of a formation is a waste.

Now had you have given me his 3K list without the option to swap amphetamine parrot out, then I would have made a much different formation.
1. run circles with the Destroyers to move/shot as long as possible.
2. use Monoliths as Big blockers, teleport 20 machine Warriors squad through to RF something off the table and hope that it survives the enemy rush to be teleported back out later.
3. Use scarab's with Turbo to set up a shock absorber in front of Warrior group that is Teleporting through Mono-Portal.
4. Use D-lord to assault some poor Ork unit that I can't deal with assaulting me (hope to tie it up or beat it down and run it over).
5. Retain some Warriors in reserves to arrive later in game, thus off-setting the Phase Out potential and preventing enemy mass assaults early in the game. Foot Lord can be placed with one foot squad of Warriors to actually advance and Rapid Fire into the Ork mob on highest priorty units, these will die as they are a lure; but hopefully things like Burna-rides are blown up, etc.
6. regardless of figure, Lord Configurations would change for me, Lightning Fields on a foot lord just does not work, etc.

His list is so unit un-deverse that his gameplan is either transparent or seriously flawed so I just don't think that the Necron list was thougth through all the indepthly (Is that a word ?). Anyway, the Necron list is very inflexible and if this were 4th ED I wouldn't have issue with nearly as much of it; but this is 5th ED, and the list is simply behind the times. Those Crons need to contact the Tomb for a new Download on Software.

Cheers

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Commissar Fuklaw

• Did anyone order pie? How about just the plate?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
Most Necron armies I see since 5th Edition actually max out the number of Scarabs they can have. Scarabs rip right into vehicles. Throw on the turbo boost, get that 2+ cover save, and get into a position to chew right through the offending vehicle. If they can hit you with a template weapon, it could be trouble, but still. 2+ cover save after an 18" move. I'd gamble on that if it means I could be in a position to assault next turn. That and it would be nice to have them throwing every piece of firepower they have at the swarms for fear of a tank munching while my other units hit 'n run.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:16:02 PM by Commissar Fuklaw »

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
Nice battle report Skeetergod.  Great pics and all.  Too bad about you playing the game so early before the campaign started.    :P

I do have a question though as it was a bit vague in this mission do you have to have troops alive in the center of the board to win or just alive in general?   Also do they have to be in the center of the board to win as well???

As far as the necron player goes.  It was a really good attempt.  i would have used something to speed bump the orks as best I could which i know can be hard with them starting in the center of the board.  I am thinking some tomb spiders might have helped a lot in this task.  They have a high toughness and with a swarm and them can hold up a pretty decent squad of orks for a bit.  Since orks get most of their perks on the turn they charge they could be dealt with by keeping them in combat for extended turns.   Another good speed bump unit would have been scarabs...  who could have maybe held up the orks from advancing.

i might have put the monoliaths closer together and made like a bottle neck effect to limit the amount of squads that could hit the warriors.  I think they would have worked a lot better as a barricade to limit the orks movement. Well all the while putting down a lot of shooting at the advancing boyz.

Skeetergods list and deployment were pretty on key though and I can't see any mistakes or stuff I would have done differently so he played a very solid game for a well deserved win.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »

I do have a question though as it was a bit vague in this mission do you have to have troops alive in the center of the board to win or just alive in general?   Also do they have to be in the center of the board to win as well???

The scenario was from the "Battle Missions" book and it is one of the necron scenarios. The battle was for kill points, he who has the most wins.  Now usually I lose KP games as I have more stuff to kill, so I usually go for the wipe out as this is the only chance for the orks to win. I got really lucky in that one monolith got immobalized right off the bat and right in front of the warboss. Had he been able to use two monoliths the whole game it would have been a far different game.

Offline lettheharvestbegin

• KoN Veteran
  • Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
hey that was a good game. yes, if i had to do it over i would done it (and will do it) differently, however, I have limited necron models, and most were on the board. It was a lose for me but darn it, I have a very good time playing. next game is tomorrow and I foresee a similar outcome, tho only time will see