News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How often do you roll doubles?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline spiderbite

• Armies: Tyranids
How often do you roll doubles?
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:57 AM »
Hi there,

2 questions:

How often do you roll doubles with a Tervigon?

Is the Tervigon worth the points if it's exhausted its supply of gants?

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: How often do you roll doubles?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
It really depends on the situation. Obviously, the more Gants you can spawn, the better, but Tervigons can still be a threat even after they run out, and often times an enemy won't focus as much on them since they don't think they are that big of a threat, but we know better! A Tervigon can still be both useful and deadly after it craps out, as you can still be buffing your allies with psychic powers and boosting the offensive power of the Gants that you did spawn, and the Tervigon can fight decently in CC. Remember that against vehicles, you can use your Smash attack to strike at S10 and reroll armor pen.

Of course, the Tervigon is also (usually) a scoring unit, and MC's can benefit from Area Terrain now, so they can be excellent objective holders (hehe, if you get a scatterfield objective in good area terrain, that's a 3+ cover save, even if you're just toe in).
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
44% chance of doubles (source dakkadakka). I've never personally seen a tervi ever do more than crap out some babies once and then dry out, but I imagine some lucky player out there filling the entire board by the end of the game (hey bro, bring yer gants down to the shop, I already used my 300). Tervigons can be worth it and have played more than a few games where it does it's job (and drives me insane trying to dislodge from cover).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
I think the most Gants I ever spawned was somewhere between 50-60 over about 4 turns, and I still hadn't rolled doubles. Unfortunately, the Tervi then took a couple of Exorcist Launchers to the face and died.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
If you want the calculations for it consider this:

Rolling doubles on two dice:

36 possible results, 6 "doubles," therefore its a 1/6 chance, or 16% chance of doubles.

Adding a third die, while I can't do the math myself, might double that chance (someone help!!!).

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
Acording to what I have see, you get 1 or 2 turns of spawning before rolling double. Everything thing after that should be a +, but not expected.

Even than I think they are a really good and solid choice both as a Hq and Troop choice.

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
The correct answer for your chances of rolling a double has already been given, which is 44.444%.

The logic is easier to follow the other way round.

For a single turn on your first roll, you can't roll a double, on your second roll you have a 5/6 th's chance of not rolling a double and on your third roll you have 4/6 chances of not rolling one of the numbers that have already been rolled. Multiply those out and you get a 5/9 th's chance of not rolling a double which is 55.555 %

Are Tervigons worth it, on average they are going to spew out about 75 points of termagaunts. After that, you either give them something to buff the termagaunts such as poison, although the range is fairly short, or you give them crushing claws which is likely to give you about 4 S10 hits on the charge. Looks like a carnifex to me for a smaller number of points (when you take away the 75 points worth of termagaunts) plus it can be a scoring unit, plus it is a synapse unit plus it has six wounds.

Did I miss anything ??

I avoided them for ages, but I can't fault the Maths on their value and am painting two of them.

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
if your going to utilize them as spawners,

2 is never enough 3 are to much.

There role as posted above is dead on, and as troops their very good.

As battering rams, there weaker, but can work in a pinch.

A good unnit worth buying the models, unlike say pyrovores....
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline Exalted One

• Maker of invisible seams
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:14:05 AM »
Someone counted that tervigons spawn 21 gaunts per average game. Eventially it all balances out. So its a good idea to have a couple of termagant broods with the tervigon, so they can use its glands and whatnot, even if you roll three ones on the first round. Because, eventually, you will. I have. But I've also once rolled three sixes on the fifth turn, with the tervi having only one wound left. :D
The glass is not half full. If its half full its not my glass. MY glass was entirely full! And bigger!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
Kind of dead thread, but I agree.

I've generally got about average performance - I work on getting two spawns, more or less, per tervigon. Which is still about half the points value of a gunned-up tervigon's worth of gaunts.

More importantly, is it worth it post-spawning.

In my view, yes. 6, T6, 3+ armour, Feel No Pain wounds is next to impossible to shift without beast-hunter shells, force weapons, or other instant death shenannigans.

Tervigons are the single most durable thing in the tyranid army, and whilst not great in combat for a monstrous creature, you must admit that's a bloody important qualifier. Smash has left them quite able to total characters, tanks and bastions with scary ease, and the area effect toxin sacs, adrenal glands and counterattack is worth its weight in gold. I've seen theoretically elite assault units vanish into a tidal wave of lil' bugs - 60 poisoned attacks takes down anything.

I agree that at least one or two big broods are worth it. The theoretically legal ten per big bug works but a couple of big waves to make contact without getting shredded and provide some protection to the spawnlings helps immensely. Plus they're cheap and fearless, so it helps immensely in providing a screen between your soft-and-squishy units and canoptek wraiths, death company, and other dastardly Ward-spawned nightmares.

Pre Spawning

After Spawning
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685