News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Triumvirate of the Primarch  (Read 9288 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Triumvirate of the Primarch
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
Let's start this off with a bang!  Obviously, it would be boarderline blasphemy for a long time Dark Angel player like myself to allow an upstart Primarch like Roboute Guilliman lead the Sons of Caliban.  So, I did what any self respecting Dark Angel player should do!  I shaved all of that Ultramarine amphetamine parrot off of his armour, gave him a winged helmet, and called him the Lion!

And if you are wondering at the scale of the Primarch (because the GW images are always at weird angles), then here ya go!

Finally, let's get this show on the road!  Getting brush to plastic in 3... 2... 1...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:20:56 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Re: Triumvirate of the Primarch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »
Nice will be interesting to see him done in the dark angels colors.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
Wow! Can't believe you did that! Can't believe how good it looks! Can't wait to see these guys get painted. Killer filing work GML!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Great work GML, I love the addition of the little winglets on the helm, it's a really nice touch.

I'm glad that you didn't take the 'easy' option of just green stuffing robes over everything, I think that you've produced something quite brilliant and only subtly different.

Having seen the size of the Primarch, I don't think I'm particularly fond of the size at all. I figured that he would be a head or 2 taller than a Custodes...but not that he would looks as though he was scaled for an entirely different game system! I think it's all a little bit silly. Then again, Magnus is the size of a tower block...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
Having seen the size of the Primarch, I don't think I'm particularly fond of the size at all. I figured that he would be a head or 2 taller than a Custodes...but not that he would looks as though he was scaled for an entirely different game system! I think it's all a little bit silly. Then again, Magnus is the size of a tower block...
Part of the issue with the size difference does come from the fact that he is on a massive base!  I've held the same Custodes model in such a way that his feet are in line with the left foot of the Primarch, which would place them on roughly the same level.  By doing so, the top of the Custodes helmet (not including the plume) is roughly in line with the middle of the scrollwork on his pauldron.  That's pretty much bang on for where I expected the scale of the model to be.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »
Got to be honest I really don't like the Gulliman model, it's way too AoS looking for me.
I like the look of the Winged helm on it though, would make a very good Lion El'Jonson stand in!
Can't wait to see it painted up!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »
Where I am at so far:

Still quite a ways to go, but it's getting there.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »
I really like what you achieved so far GML. I also like the fact that you have used the helmeted head as I prefer that one to the other choice. It is a strange thing but I find that this model looks so much better painted green. I know it isn't finished yet but, because of their relation on the colour wheel I guess, the gold is looking a bit on the yellow side.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
I think the green and the gold work incredibly well together. I also think the finish so far is very, very good.

If I have a concern, it's that the green seems very light for a Dark Angel. I would have thought a far darker green would suit better, as I'm currently getting way more of a Salamander feel to this mini.

I would love to see the Lord of Caliban rocking Black Armour...and now I really want to try this for myself. Damn it!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:04:29 PM »
If I have a concern, it's that the green seems very light for a Dark Angel. I would have thought a far darker green would suit better, as I'm currently getting way more of a Salamander feel to this mini.

I would love to see the Lord of Caliban rocking Black Armour...and now I really want to try this for myself. Damn it!!
That was actually one of the most common comments I received when I posted to groups on Facebook.  I have since done a black wash that really toned down the brightness of the armour and brings it more in line with the Dark Angels.

It's funny that you mention him in black armour, because that is the second most common comment I received:  "The Lion's armour is black!  What the hell is this?!?" or something along those lines.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »
I'm glad I wasn't just being a Negative Noreen. I know how rubbish it is when people look at your work and say 'have you thought about this?'. I just hope that you are happy with the darker result...I'd hate to think that you loved your mini and changed it because of the internet and aren't happy now!

The finish looked superb, so hopefully you toning the black down hasn't affected that at all. I look forward to seeing the next update.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:20:02 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen... I present Lion El'Jonson, Primarch of the First Legion!

Apparently, when the question of "What's a good model to try a new painting technique on for the first time" comes up, I answer with "A beslubberING PRIMARCH!!!"

This is the first time I have done OSL, and I am very happy with the results!  The model is done, I just need to finish up the base for it to be 100%, but that is just minor details (and cleaning up where my hands scrubbed away the paint lol)
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:32 AM »
Absolutely stunning! You did a magnificent job and it looks stellar with the darker green.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
Thanks!  I'm still amazed that the difference between the green in this picture set and the last set is simply a wash of watered down black paint lol
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
I really love what you've done with this model GML, I find that the smurfs colour scheme makes it look too much like an age of sigmar model but the way you've painted it really does have more of a grim dark feel to it.
Great work on the OSL and the freehand is really nice.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
Oddly enough, my first thought was that the LIon's armour was black when he led the first legion :)

Putting that aside however, I like the colour scheme adopted here.  I don't think that the green is too bright, I simply think that the gold is giving it the appearance of being brighter than one would expect a Dark Angel's armour to be. 

Besides, green is a far more interesting colour than blue...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
Oddly enough, my first thought was that the LIon's armour was black when he led the first legion :)
You're not wrong.  During the Great Crusade / Horus Heresy, the Dark Angels did wear black armour; the Lion included.  It is safe to assume that while he remains sleeping within the Rock, he is still wearing his black armour, as that was the last thing he was seen wearing.

But, if he were to rejoin the chapter and fight alongside his sons once again, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for him to adopt the green armour.  The most likely reason I can find for why the Dark Angels changed from black to green was that they wish to remember the forests of Caliban that were destroyed along with their planet.  I think that's an idea the Lion could get behind.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
You're not wrong.  During the Great Crusade / Horus Heresy, the Dark Angels did wear black armour; the Lion included.  It is safe to assume that while he remains sleeping within the Rock, he is still wearing his black armour, as that was the last thing he was seen wearing.

But, if he were to rejoin the chapter and fight alongside his sons once again, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for him to adopt the green armour.  The most likely reason I can find for why the Dark Angels changed from black to green was that they wish to remember the forests of Caliban that were destroyed along with their planet.  I think that's an idea the Lion could get behind.

I think that that is perfectly reasonable.

All in all though, I think that you've done a great job.  As someone mentioned above, the GW scheme on the box is not the nicest.  Also, I was hoping that the first primarch to return would be Lion himself, so it's nice to see a glimpse of "what could be" :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
Wow... what a fantastic job GML. I absolutley love it... Until I had just recently painted a Dark Angel in green for a friend, I didn't like the colors... but now I really do think they look great. I like your reasoning behind the green armor too... I think it makes perfect sense.

My favorite bit has to be the sword.... I love how its a classic power sword taken to the ultimate degree.

Great job man, a super ambitious project, exceptionally well executed.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
Great job GML. That wash has done wonders for The Lion. It also helps the other colours stand out so much better too.

Just an outstanding piece of work, from top to bottom.