News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marines Against Space Marines  (Read 894 times)

Offline Eagels of the Saints

• Redemption for Alpharius and Omegon
Space Marines Against Space Marines
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Hey everybody new list for you. This one is to kill Space Marines. It is a 2500 point game. My current list is:

HQ: HQ: Chapter Master
Lightning Claw x 2
Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
Artificer Armour
Jump Pack

Troops: Tactical Squad # 1
+ 5 Men
Plasma Gun
Plasma Cannon

Troops: Tactical Squad # 2
+ 5 Men
Plasma Gun
Plasma Cannon

Troops: Tactical Squad # 3
+ 5 Men
Plasma Gun
Multi Melta

Elites: Terminator Squad
+ 3 Men
Assault Cannon
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Crusader

Elites: Sternguard Veteran Squad
XXX

Elites: Dreadknot
Twin Linked Las Cannon

Fast Attack: Assault Squad
+ 5 Men
Plasma Pistol x 2
Melta Bombs

Fast Attack: Vanguard Veteran Squad
Sergeant Lightning Claw
Lightning Claw x 4
Jump Packs

Fast Attack: Land Speeder
Typhoon Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon
XXX

Heavy Support: Vindicator
XXX

Heavy Support: Vindicator
XXX

Two things I need to add 1 all the things with XXX as their total is because we aren’t allowed to post the points of specific things. 2 The Thunderfire cannon stay period. That thing killed 7 terminators in one turn (agents him too haha) and it’s very effective for its points.

Thank you for looking.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: Space Marines Against Space Marines
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »
Looks quite good. But some psychic protection at this pt level in form of a Librarian would be useful.

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
I don't usually comment on lists as it's is very much a personal preferences game, but here are a few thoughts anyway:

1) Tacticals without mobility are dead/useless tacticals. You want to get them into shooting range to be effective. I strongly urge you to go with at least rhinos. You can get the unit to objectives (usually), park on them, and fire away with your plasma weapons. Rhinos are a bargain.

2) Vanguards are not worth the points IMHO as they are usually a suicide squad. They are very much hit/miss, and mine have failed more than they've succeeded. I prefer Ironclads in Lucius drop pods for assaulting the enemy backfield (although they are elite not fast attack). If you must have an FA unit, I'd use a storm with HF and 5 CC scouts & combi-melta/flamer & PF on the sarge. Not as powerful as VV's, but still tie up other units nicely, and more versatile (i.e. can reserve for late game objective pounce if needed). Ditto for assault squads, and they're even less effective than VV's. I'd use speeders over assault if I had to make a FA slot choice.

3) HQ. Fine if going with assault unit.  If not, I think Vulkan or librarian with TA/SS with termies would be better (of course one less termie to fit in LRC).

4) For Sternguard, I like to play them with all combi-meltas (if 5); or 5 combi-meltas, 5-combi-flamers (if 10) in a pod. Definite vehicle killer, and the latter (due to combat squadding) then roasts the unit inside if a transport.

Love your HS choices, play these three the most myself. The TFC is the most under-rated, under-played unit in my LGW. Love it. In a fortified ruin it can last a long time with that 3+ cover save if not assaulted.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »
To respond:

1) What I was thinking to do with the Tactical Squads was park them in a place with Multi Melta in middle and two plasma cannons on either side to shoot at whatever and if objective then one squad will go and hold (possibly combat squad if there’s a decent amount of them) the objective and attempt to contest or leave them completely vacant.

2) For me the Vanguard have scared everyone I play with for the main reason they have 20 power weapon attacks that re-role to wound. I know that all I need is a Champlain and this squad will be a living nightmare.

3) Yep the Chapter Master hides out of LOS and pops his orbital bombardment right onto those units that you don’t want to be walking *cough*Terminators in a Land Raider*cough cough* and I personally don’t see the need for another HQ really I would prefer the Chapter Master over a Librarian any day

4) The Stern Guard are actually for Vengeance Rounds and Kraken bolts to neglect even more armour that I personally love as do all other Space Marines.

5) THANK YOU FOR LIKING THE THUNDERFIRE CANNON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline maturin

• A Yank in a strange land...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:14:26 AM »
Eagle,  the Vanguard have 15 attacks on the charge, not 20 - unless you've got twin lightning claws for each of them?

And I'd consider tossing in some storm shields - the 5 very expensive vanguard you have will die just as easily as 5 plain jane tac marines.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
The Vanguard have 2 base attacks, + 1 for pistol and Lightning Claw + one more for being on the charge

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
The Vanguard have 2 base attacks, + 1 for pistol and Lightning Claw + one more for being on the charge

Sorry, but you don't get the bonus attack for two single handed weapons if (only) one is a lightning claw, thunder hammer, or power fist. See BRB Page 42, 2nd last paragraph, last sentence.  That's why when I do play VV's, I outfit with power sword/bolt pistols if I want lots of attacks; LC/SS if fewer attacks but more resilience.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Against MEQ and no Assault Termies or Land Raider Redeemer? Normal termies don't do well against other meq, what with storm bolter and assault cannon not penetrate our armor.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
My mistake maturin and KJQ is correct and for the Terminators they just spray and hope for a few earlie kills and Rending from the Assault Cannon