News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Big mek Kff or SAG mek  (Read 1596 times)

Offline hinga

• Ork Yoof
  • If you aint "Ard enuff u aint Ork enuff"
Big mek Kff or SAG mek
« on: December 6, 2010, 05:59:24 AM »
im running a full infantry army... 6 x30 boyz mixture of shoota N slugga

kff mek only gives cover for things within 6inch of his base... with infantry i doubt thats going to be effective unless they are in a trukk or wagon but since my army has none of these would it really be that effective... ?

where as the SAG mek could be more useful to take out tanks...

please respond as its consistantly pondering on my mind..

Thanks

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Big mek Kff or SAG mek
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
You only need to have one ork per mob within 6" of the mek.
This means that you can quite easily fit 3 mobz in. It is possible to fit all 6 mobz within 6" by having the mek at the back of a mob and having a string of orks from each mob getting to within 6" of him. Its kind of cheesey to do but possible.
The main issue is keeping the mobz seperate and distinct, especially if they are painted similar colours (or not painted at all).

Blast weapons aren't generally that great as anti tank weapons as the template is half stregnth if the hole scatters off the hull of the vehicle, ass in variable strength and it doesn't work very well.
The other consideration is where the shokk attack gun will go. If you have already used up your troop slots then you can't take a unit of ablative grots (which is the normal tactic). Sticking him with anything with long range firepower already is just going to increase the size of the target painted on them and sticking him on his own is just plain silly.

In short without the rest of your list we can't really help much

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
the only time I think seriously on the SAG is when I'm facing MEQ or 2+ save armies.  The template is ap 2! so regardless of what strength, it ignores most armor.  Having said that, grab yourself all three ammo grots because odds are, you will not hit your target(or at least that's my luck) and the ammo grots are worth thier weight in gold.  I like to put him in a squad of boyz instead of grots.  Mostly because my SAG tends to port him and his squad into assault way to often.  Remember, you will live and die by the SAG.  He's either a huge point sync that has done nothing to help, or .....the piece that won the game.

As for the KFF mek.  He is by far the most hated piece in my army.  He always comes in handy.  Marching a green tide across the field, give them a 5+ and watch how many more make it across.  Remember, that if a squad is in front of another squad the back squad gets a 4+ cover save, so as long as you position your green wall right, the front should be 5+ and the back 4+.  Also, I throw him in a battlewagon, regardless of what squad I'm putting in thier.  It's 6" from the edge of the battlewagon.  Gives all my other vehicles a 4+ cover.  Nothing makes you feel better than watching that drop podded stern guard unleash a salvo of melta fire at the rear armor of my battle wagon, only to have it survive thanks to the KFF, and turn to fire it's killkannon the next turn wiping that squad. 

I rarely run the SAG, sometimes only because I get the need, like gork (or mork) is telling me to field it.  It's lost me more games than won, but don't get me wrong, every game I played with it was entertaining.  The KFF is the juggernaut though.  It makes the frail into the frightening.  I've fielded one in almost every list, even forgoing a warboss on those occasions where I want a SAG.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
I agree with the above two comments. The SAG is is huge point sink that will more often than not cost you the game if you rely on it too much.

If you are taking it as something fun to do because you have extra points to spare, then I say go for it.

Then again if you are giving up a HQ slot and having to squeeze him in because you think he is the super weapon that will conquer all, then don't take him as you will be disappointed in the performance.

Stick with the KFF, with some tricksy positioning you can get the large majority of your army a cover save, which really angers those IG players with their mass strength 10 pie plates.

Also since we are talking about models, may I remind all you readers that you have just two days till the start.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline hinga

• Ork Yoof
  • If you aint "Ard enuff u aint Ork enuff"
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
thanks guys didnt realise you could use multiple units for the cover save just thought it was dedicated to the unit closest..
looks like my green tide is gunna have a KFF :D

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »
definately agree, in my kan wall my big Mek's KFF protects two kan squads, two dreads, and 2 squads of boys...

Basically like this:
                        D     D
         K    K     K          K    K    K
     b b b b b b b (Mek) bbbbbbbbbbbb

Dreads in front
then kans
and then 2boyz mobs....     

you could also add a 3rd boyz mob if u wanted..

b b b b b b b b b (MEK)  B B B B B B B B B B  B
     b b b b b b b b    3 3 3 3    B B B B B B B BB
    b b b b b b b     333333333    B B B B B B B B
     b b b b b b      3 3 3 3 3 3 3      B B B B B B B B

Basically you get the picture I hope. 

For the campaign we got to take 3 HQ's so I took a
Big Mek KFF
Mad Dok
SAG Mek

well the big mek kff kicked butt,  but the SAG mek blew himself up with all 20 of the shoota boyz he was with in the first shooting turn.  That was probably the worse case scenario you could get but it does happen... And worse part was that it was a take out the HQ scenario.  I had first turn and blew up a HQ and a squad by my own SAG Mek...   that really didn't set well.

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
in my 2k list i take two meks, 4 boys mobz, 9 kans. try killing 9 rhino equivalent armor values with a 4+ cover save,...and try that when someones rolling well...and then they fire str 8 weapons back at you, or assault you at str 10, or both...

the kff makes a great companion to vehicles, and to mobz, and to anything else you want to put next to it!
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.