News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40K designer Rick Preistley designs new game...  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
40K designer Rick Preistley designs new game...
« on: January 1, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
Rick Priestley, the guy who worked on game design for all sorts at GW is off on his own designing a new Sci-fi game.

Beyond the Gates of Antares

Kickstarter, wants input, artwork, the works.

It's interesting but I'm slightly concerned that I remember how Andy Chamber's Starship Trooper game went a few years back. Which was cool, if you like IG v Nids for every game.

This background seems very very 40K ish.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: 40K designer Rick Preistley designs new game...
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
Sounds more like standard sci-fi stuff you might expect in a TV series from what I read; basically humans (of different flavours), machines and possibly some alien threat. It might be interesting but it does appear to be quite early in the making and so far I don't see what the aim of the game is, will it be small skirmish? Bigger? It sounds like it is meant to be very background driven and a bit old school rpg in style which might interest some but the background felt a bit too generic to get me going, maybe they will be do something interesting with the shard stuff, it sounded quite close to how the Omnius wanted it to be in Legends of Dune so perhaps it can take an interesting turn...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2013, 08:21:20 PM »
I threw them some money. If it gets off the ground then so be it but if it doesn't meet the deadline then it costs me nothing.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
I am on the fence with joining in.   I did the KoW kickstarter and it seemed to be a very good deal all in all, though they are not extremely far in their process yet. 

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »
I'm down for this.
Rick is the man after all.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
I may order a hardback book, it's not silly money after all.

I'm trying to cut back on model buying nowadays, at least until I get some of the unpainted pile painted up!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »
I'm interested in the idea that contributors will be able to 'influence' the development of the game.

While the benefits of having a lot of people around to playtest rules are obvious, I'm extremely sceptical of the many hands approach to the development of background fluff.  I can't see that working out at all.  I hope they are only considering taking some minor contributions around the edges for that stuff.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »
It's interesting but I'm slightly concerned that I remember how Andy Chamber's Starship Trooper game went a few years back. Which was cool, if you like IG v Nids for every game.
Hey, I liked that game!

Looks interesting...
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
While the benefits of having a lot of people around to playtest rules are obvious, I'm extremely sceptical of the many hands approach to the development of background fluff.  I can't see that working out at all.  I hope they are only considering taking some minor contributions around the edges for that stuff.

I suspect that the "you're involved!" aspect is being somewhat hyped up. That said if it works in the way people might write fluff for their DIY chapter/regiment/craftworld and they pick good entries to add to canon it might have some potential. But yes, too many chefs spoil the soup!

Hey, I liked that game!

And I totally enjoyed a demo game of it! But it only really had two factions, one had no lasertanks and the other had funny looking walkers (ok, three factions but the 'aliens' had like 4 models).

I really did fancy one of their drop ships but sadly never got one :/

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
I am kinda liking the D10 concept.   I think it would be a good basis to work with.  Like what I am seeing, unfortunately I don't think it would get off the ground locally to have much support.  Definitely nice to have no morale in it. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Once you're on their sponsor email list they send you updates at least once a day of progress and changes being adapted.

Hi All - Rik here

Welcome old and new backers!

Today we have a various bits of information to share with you, first up is a look at some of the upcoming updates we're planning:

Hansa Model - When we announced GoA we also opened up a section in our development forums asking for feedback on Hansa the Exclusive Kickstarter Miniature - in line with our backer development program. I'm glad to say we had a great response with over 77 replies so far and so have initiated work on him. We briefed Kevin White this morning and he will be starting work on the model in earnest on monday. Just like we said we would, we're going to show you the process of development in various updates over the next 2-4 weeks as he creates him. So you'll get to see how Kev goes about creating his great models and get graphic detail on each stage. We're extremely happy to be announcing this so that we can hopefully start to put some minds at ease and actually just can't wait to show you his work!

Turn sequence - Lots of people have asked about how our game plays, so we're about to start sharing with you the various elements we have. We playtested the pre-alpha game last night in John's War room over pizza, and Rick is busy putting the finishing touches to the turn sequence from that session so that we can share it with you. We'll also open up a section in the development forums for you to discuss and feedback.

Custom Army update - there have been a number of questions on how these work, what are the choices etc so we're busy putting together a more detailed description so that you have a clearer picture of what figure options you will have, customisations, weapons and so on

WarDrones - We're going to open up a section in the development forums for you to start discussing these beauties. They will play a big part in our universe so lets get into them 

Weekend Service - we've been working round the clock over the last 4 weeks as we prepared for launch and then launched our Kickstarter, all of which has been hugely exciting for us so we haven't even noticed really, but our families have and are starting to miss us a little. So over the weekend we'll still be sending out updates and answering direct questions through KS messages, but you probably wont see us as much on the forums or comments sections. Hope that's ok, it's a marathon this one, no good sprinting the whole race - normal service will be resumed first thing on Monday morning.

Singularity Feeder Special - don't forget if you want a singularity feeder special, we're opening up 100 more of this tier at 5pm (UK time) today!

Ok, so next we have a look at the decision to use D10's over D6's - in video format!
Dark Space Corp- Beyond the Gates of Antares- D10 and game play on Vimeo

PLEASE Help us spread the word

We need to make sure everybody knows about us, so we’ve made some helpful artwork to help spread the word. GoA is all about involving you guys right at the start and our first job is to get us funded! So get creative on it, anything you can think of to spread the word from wandering around your home town with a robot WarDrone suit on (ok, so we haven’t actually made any but a simple cardboard box with the words “I’m a WarDrone – Pledge NOW or my IMTel nano-drones will infect you” will probably work!) to downloading this PDF (Kickstarter Flyer), emailing it to your friends and relatives, printing it out and handing it out to literally everyone you come across, you can even get some blu-tack and stick it on the foreheads of shop owners if you like! (apologies if you are actually a shop owner… stick it to a customer’s forehead perhaps? )

Anyway, the point is: If you tell as many people as possible there’s a much better chance of us first: hitting our funding target, and second: hitting some of our stretch goals and ultimately giving you even more cool stuff to play with.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Just plugged in the conversion in the calculator.  OUCH.   I wanted to possibly do the feeder set as I thought you would be able to get more from it.   But at $200 that is a bit high.    I might do the starter instead.  Feeder might be worth it if it gets more that "feeds" into it. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
... and it's dead for the time being. Project removed from Kickstarter. May surface in another form later on according to the developers.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
£300,000 was a big ask and every time I checked back in to see how they were doing the total didn't seem to be moving very quickly.
They'll need to scratch their heads and decide how they can better raise this kind of cash.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
Maybe have the concepts be a little more concrete and finalised? I was quite intrigued to start with but the more I read about the background and the rules the more it felt like they hadn't really worked out much at all and I quickly lost interest.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
I read some of the in progress stuff on Facebook, interesting but seemed like concept work.

They would have been better served having all that done and saying "we need money to make and sell awesome models!"

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Yeah, some of the concepts sound pretty interesting but the little they actually showed didn't take off enough to warrant further interest. Much of it felt like a mix of Star Trek and 40k so it would have been good if they would have shared a bit more to dispel this and show what their aim with the background really is.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
I wasn't inspired by the background.  For me it was too much science fiction, and not enough science fantasy.  Regardless of my preferences though, the main problem was a lack of clarity.  After watching the video, and reading the available information, I couldn't really explain to myself, let alone anyone else, what the project was really about, which wasn't a good sign.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »
with this kinda flopping I am hoping there will be some steam for the Raging Heroes models when they do one of their 3 planned kickstarters.  Definitely a good concept to get some good looking female models out there.  So far the models of theirs I have seen are impressive, and their resin kinda puts fine cast to shame.

I agree thought to look at their kickstarter was very confusing.  I think if they offered more and made the reward system a lot easier like they did for KoW they would have got a higher response.   Also their goal was kinda ridiculous for just starting out.