News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Shadow Specters  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Hannibal.Lictor

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Shadow Specters
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:30:27 AM »
Anyone fielded any of these and if so, how where they? I have had mine do wonders and do virtually nothing. Not an easy unit. Looking for a touch of advice.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
Re: Shadow Specters
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:51 AM »
They're really a glass hammer and hard to use, although in the right situations they are awesome in a pinch. Think of them as Vypers that can deepstrike. ;)
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline sunstrider

• sometimes you just need a little more gun
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Blood Angels
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
They're really a glass hammer and hard to use, although in the right situations they are awesome in a pinch. Think of them as Vypers that can deepstrike. ;)

Can't Vypers deep strike already though? They are skimmers after all

My personal experience with shadow spectres has been pretty positive so far. I usually field them with a Pale Courts Battlehost formation that has a Dire Avengers core, so they get used almost exclusively for vehicle hunting duty (since Dire Avenger rifles can handle anything with wounds given the bladestorm rule).

They usually fly around beside or behind my dire avenger squads, providing haywire or prism support and I never deep strike them. I don't recommend deep striking them due to their low body count and not being able to take advantage of their cover save the turn they come in (they need to thrust in the movement phase to gain the cover save).

Given this setup, they combine to make a really powerful one-two punch in situations were you need to take down a transport, then gun down the passengers in a single turn. More than once I've had opponents try shoving land raiders packed with a deathstar unit down my throat, only to have the land raider get wrecked by the shadow spectres then lose their super expensive squad to massed shuriken fire. Feels good man.

One thing I'm unsure about is how well shadow spectres do as more than one specialized unit included in an army. Playing an army built around a core of shadow spectres might be an interesting choice, given you have the models of course.

Offline Hannibal.Lictor

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
I like that dual aspect idea. Tempted to run my Shadow Soecter Shrine along side an aspect warrior formation of spiders....that would be a fun list.

So far having three units has been pretty clutch. Recently I have been trying them a suplimental force for my Harlequin masque. doing a similar thing only I am charging the fools inside. The one issue I have is the low model count.....damn you forge world....

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
Can't Vypers deep strike already though? They are skimmers after all

No they cannot.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar