News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [Batrep] Semifinal Brets vs Beasts of Chaos. 2.5k points  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
[Batrep] Semifinal Brets vs Beasts of Chaos. 2.5k points
« on: June 9, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
League Semifinal Battle Brets vs Beast of Chaos

Bret Army

Bret Lord:  Grail Vow, Hippo, Shield, Virtue of the Joust, Heartwood Lance, Gromril Helm, Gauntlet of Duel
BSB:  Grail Vow, Warhorse, Virtue of Duty, Enchanted Shield
Damsel: L1, Horse, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll.
Paladin: Warhorse, Lance, Shield, Virtue of Audacity, Sword of Might
Paladin: Warhorse, Armor of Agilulf, Morning Star of Fracasse.

KotR: 6 Men, Musician
KotR: 6 Men, Musician
KE: 5 Men Full Command
KE: 8Men, Full Command, Errantry Banner

MY: 5 Men, Full Command
MY: 5 Men, Full Command
PK: 6 Men, Full Command

GK: 7 Men, Full Command, Warbanner

Beasts of Chaos (Our League allowed the BoC player to pull from the old Hordes of Chaos codex, so please forgive any inconsistancies)

Beast Lord w/ Super Sword ( I really don’t know and wasn’t planning on finding out)
BSB: Warbanner

12 Gors + 8 Ungors, musician + champ
12 Gors + 8 Ungors, musician + champ
5 Chariots w/ Mark of Khorne
5 Dogs
5 Dogs

5 Minotaur’s w/ GW and Mark of Khorne, full command
 5 Minotaur’s w/ GW and Mark of Khorne, full command

25 Bestigors w/ GW, Mark of Khorne, and a magic banner of +1 attacks on the charge.

Table Set Up (6' x 4' divided up into 6 2' x 2')

BoC
--------------------------------------
|              |                 |                   |
|     1       |      2         |         3        |
|-------------------------------------|
|              |                  |                  |
|     4       |      5           |        6        |
|-------------------------------------|
                 Brets

Between the borders of Section 1 and Section 4 was a large forest, perfect for Skirmished beastmen to hide in
Section 2 was bear
Section 3 had a nice building in the Beastmen deployment zone, and another forest bordering Section 6.
Section 4 had a small building in the bottom left corner pocket
Section 5 had a hill on its back edge
Section 6 was bare, save for the forest it shared with Section 3.

Setup
BoC, Left to Right
Gors and Ungors behind the forest
Minotaurs to their right
Dogs to the Right of the Minotaurs in front of the big 25man Bestigor unit
Lots of Chariots with Dogs in front of them
Minotaurs between the Chariots and the building
Last group of Gors and Ungors behind the building.

Brets, Left to Right
KotR on a hard left flank in front of a building
PK behind the large forest
8 Man KE w/ Paladin w/ Armor of Agilulf angled 45° towards the center
MY set up for a mad dash forward
KE w/ Paladin w/ Virtue of Audacity on the hill
KotR to their right
GK w/ Damsel and BSB set up 45° facing the center.
MY in front of the GK
Hippo Lord in the right corner pocket.

My L1 Damsel took Life and Mistress of Marsh.  Facing 5 Khorne chariots, I had little chance getting a spell off.

I prayed, and the Goats went first.

Goats, turn One.

The Gors and Ungors wasted no time getting into the forests where they were safe and probably excelled.
Dogs raced forward and the rest of the Army slowly crawled behind the Dogs.  Still, there were visable LOS angles for charge arcs from the Frenzied units.

No magic
No shooting
No Combat

Brets Turn One

No declared charges.  Paladin in the 5 man KE unit kept his unit in check from charging the Dogs.  Other KE unit screened by MY.
KotR marched forward down the left flank.  Gors and Ungors deep in woods +2”, so safe from their charges.
PK move up to forest edge on the right, out of LOS to the Minotaurs, Gors and Ungors.
MY make a mad dash forward to the left of the dogs and in full view of the Minotaurs, and had the moral support of the PK in hiding.  (Bret Chivalry at it’s best  ::))
Both KE unit wiggle 2 inches around to countercharge the potential Minotaur charge, and, at worst, potentially avoid a Minotaur overrun in case things really went bad.
KotR unit on Hill took a suicide march to draw out the Khorne Chariots.
GK unit did some more wiggling to set up a counter charge after drawing out the chariots and Minotaurs. 
MY did their heroic number and raced forward, to draw out the Chariots and Minotaurs.  I had to carefully angle them to redirect charges away from my Bret Lord.
Bret Lord flew up to give moral support to the MY and kept out of overrun arcs.

Magic was useless

Shooting.  MY on the left shot and dogs and killed one.  MY on the right shot at dogs, and did nothing.

Combat. No Combat

Goats turn 2.
With all those frenzied units lying around, combat was inevidable.  But the Beast Player declared charges to block LOS to some frenzied units.  Make sense.
Minotaurs on the left charged the MY.  With the moral support of the PK, they stood still.  MY actually managed to get a stand and shoot off, which did absolutely nothing.
Dogs and 2 Chariots on the right charged the MY, also, which held.
Minotaurs on the right charged towards the center against the KotR, who held their ground.
With all the charge arcs blocked off by Minotaurs, there was nothing the remaining chariots or Bestigors could see, so no charges there. 
Gors and Ungors move totally into the forests on the left and right.
Bestigors and Chariots move up towards the center to anticipate a GK overrun.

Magic.  No magic

No Shooting Either.

Combat
Minotaurs blow apart MY on the left, no surprise there.  With blood greed, Minotaurs just sit there.  Dead peasents don’t bother Bret Knights.  “Arrows cost money, the dead cost nothing.”
Minotaurs also blow apart the KotR in the center of the board.  Dead to the last man.  But no Bret unit is in panic range.  And Minotaurs sit there, too.
MY on the right get horribly mangled by impact hits from both Chariot.  Chariots and Dogs overrun towards my lines.  But they do not block the charge arc of my GK to the Minotaurs

Bret Turn 2:

Both KE units on the left get the impetuous charge off against the Minotaurs
GK get the charge off on the Minotaurs in the center.
Hippo Lord charges the nearest Chariot in my deployment zone on the flank.
PK fly to the left around the forest
KotR on the left keep marching forward around the forest, too.

Magic.  Damsel goes for MoM on a nearby chariot, but a bazillion dispel dice kill that.

Shooting.  All my MY are dead, no more shooting for me.

Combat.  On the left, the Minotaur champ challenges and my KE champ accepts.  KE puts a wound on the Minotaur champ, then gets killed in return, but no overkill.  Combo of two KE units drops two Minotaurs flat.  Last remainin Minotaur in B2B fails to wound.  Minotaurs break.  Large KE unit goes for the overrun and gets them.  Small KE unit stands still to get into combat with the chariots, hopefully.  With the Minotaurs dead, dogs, Gors, and Ungors nearby all fail panic tests and break.

In the center, GK chews into a Minotaur flank, killing 3 dead and wounding the 4th.  Minotaurs break, GK overrun, and run right into the waiting Bestigor unit’s front rank.

Hippo Lord tears apart the Khorne Chariot, and overruns towards the hill.  A bit too close to the GK unit for my taste.  A bad loss there and a good overrun by chariots and my Hippo Lord is eating a flank charge.  Nearby dogs fail their panic test and run, also.

Goats Turn 3:

2 Chariots get a flank charge on my GK unit right side.
1 Khorne Chariot wheels to get a LOS to my KE unit
Remaining Khornate Chariot does a 180 to get back in the game.
Gors and Ungors on the left rally.
Dogs keep running on the left and right.
Gors and Ungors on the right sit nice and happy in their forest.

Magic, none

Shooting, none

Combat.  With two chariots on the side giving impact hits, 2 GK drop from that..  GK unit kills 4 Bestigors.  Then lots of great weapons clobber the GK unit, killing 3 more GK.  I lose combat res by 4, but stick around due to my nearby General and the BSB rolling a low break test.  But heavily outnumbered and outmatch, the GK unit is doomed.

Brets Turn 3.

Not liking the position my KE are in, I declare mad charges to fleeing dogs to keep the KE running forward.  Fleeing dogs still in my charge range, so it was legal.  The large KE unit managed to overrun the dogs, but the smaller one in the back failed.  Still, out of the chariots charge arc.
KotR unit on the left charges the Gors and Ungors, who, still fleeing, run off the board
Hippo Lord gets out of Dodge and out of everyone’s charge arc, flying to the flank of the Bestigor units.
PK fly back to my table side.

Magic.  Damsel goes for MoM in one last shot, but all those Khorne chariots shut her down.  Probably her last spell attempt.

Shooting.  No shooting

Combat.  The GK unit takes a few out, but gets crushed by all those great weapon attacks.  Only the unit standard bearer is left alive, and he breaks.  Chariots run after him, and get the last GK, but they end up running into their own chariot, head on.  It’s a traffic jam of chariots in the center of the table.  Bestigor unit moves forward  slowly.

Goats Turn 4.

Bestigor unit turns 90 to face the small KE unit.
Beast Chariot now gets a solid bead on the same KE unit plus block march.  No escaping him now. 
Chariots in the center get their act in order and turn to face the Beast table edge.

No magic

No shooting

Bret Turn 4

Hippo Lord charges the chariot on my rightmost side.
The small KE unit wiggles their way to get out of the Bestigor’s charge arc.  No hope of evading the chariot, but I managed to hug the forest, so there will be some mercy there, in case of overrun.
KotR on the left turn to face the center.
Large KE unit turns 180 to counter charge the inevitable chariot charge.
PK fly onto the hill to face the Bestigors.

No magic

No shooting.

Hippo Lord puts 3 wounds onto the Beast Chariot.  Beast Chariot puts one wound on my Bret Lord.  Hippo Lord wins combat.  Chariot flees and Hippo Lord runs after it, but doesn’t catch it.  Still, out of the remaining  chariots charge arcs.

Goats Turn 5

Chariot charges the KE unit, and I flee into the forest.  Chariot gets a failed charge, but doesn’t get dragged into the forest.
Bestigor unit turns and marches to face the PK unit.
2 Chariots turn to face the Hippo Lord
Remaining fleeing chariot just shy of my table edge.

No magic
No shooting
No combat

Bret Turn 5

Hippo Lord charges the fleeing Chariot, who runs off the table.
PK on the hill flank charge the chariots in the center to the right of the Bestigor unit.
Large KE flank charges the chariot that failed their charge.  KotR left try to get in also, but too far away.  Failed charge.
Small KE unit rallies in the forest, but effectively out of the game.

No  magic
No shooting

Combat
Hippo Lord flies to 1 inch of the table edge.
PK wounds the Chariot on the flank, but they hold and wound a PK.
Large KE chew their Khornate Chariot apart.  They overrun, and clip the forest.

Goats Turn 6

With nothing in their charge arc, Bestigors march to contest a table quarter.
Remaining Chariot moves to block off the KE charge to the Bestigors.
Gor and Ungors stay safe in their forest and contest a table quarter

No magic
No shooting.

PK finish off chariot.

Bret Turn 6

KE charge the chariot, but since they clip the forest, they fail their charge.  Still 50% of the unit makes it into the table quarter.
PK and Hippo Lord move to contest and take table quarters on the right side

Game over

Bret Units remaining

Hippo Lord
Paladin w/ Armor of Agilulf
Paladin w/ Virtue of Audacity
KotR 6 Men full strength
KE 5 Men Full strength
KE 8 Men Full Strength

PK 6 Men full strength

2 Banners, 2 table quarters, 2 contested table quarters

Beastmen

Beast Lord
BSB
12 Gors + 8 Ungors full strength
Khornate Chariot
25 Bestigors full strength
Banner, BSB,  2 contested table quarters

Victory Brets.

MVP:  The sacrifices of the MY and KotR to set up the counter charges
Honorable Mention:  GK, for holding an extra turn so the Hippo Lord could get out of harm’s way.
Goat of the Game.  Sorry, but no puns here.  I was afraid for my Hippo Lord when he was stuck out in the open and when he couldn’t wipe out the second chariot on the charge.

The Good:  KE charging Minotaurs on turn 2
The Bad:  Again, my Hippo wiffs in close combat.
The Ugly:  The Grail Knight unit going down with their boots on.

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
Re: [Batrep] Semifinal Brets vs Beasts of Chaos. 2.5k points
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
Yet again good times. Some good old book action! He seemed like one of your more tactically formidable opponents, who knows how to control his frenzied army.

As for the super sword... I'm not all that sure Beastmen have good swords...
They've got, in decreasing order of points value:
-Axes with +1 attack and reroll to hit
-one handed, +2 S, frenzy
-a siege weapon, forget about it
-one handed, no armor

Nothing outrageous like a demon weapon.
another reason why I dislike fielding my general on foot: sometimes, it's hard for him to get into the action, eh?
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: [Batrep] Semifinal Brets vs Beasts of Chaos. 2.5k points
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »
Yeah, that was my game plan with an all cavalry force.  March block, charge block, wheel, reform, redirect, wash, rinse, repeat. But this would only work against a non-shooty army.  HE, Dwarfs, DE, and Empire would just blast me while my units schlubbed around in the middle of the field.

I don't think I've ever played a Lord choice on foot.  At least not willingly.  I've had monster mounts blow up beneath my Lord's feet.   :'( That's not fun.

The BoC Lord was in a rock solid unit I didn't want to mess with.  So I had to dance around them an take shots where I could.