News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vehicle damage and effects on passengers.  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
Vehicle damage and effects on passengers.
« on: March 6, 2015, 12:12:49 AM »
After watching a youtube batrep today it got me thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong as I dont see other people doing it the way I do. Most (possibly all) the people Ive seen only take the pinning test.

Imagine this situation. Tactical squad in a rhino. Rhino is shot at by a shuriken cannon and receives 2 glances and a pen (doesn't matter what the pen is as it won't explode it). 3 hull points of damage received thus it's a wreck. The way Ive been playing it that tactical squad now needs to take 2 leadership tests (one is a pinning test).

Pg 82
Effect of damage on passengers.
"when a transport sustains damage, it can also have an effects on its passengers - even if they disembark - as described below"

Shaken, stunned, weapon destroyed, immobilised:
At the end of the phase in which a vehicle sustains one or more of these damage results, the passengers must take a leadership test. - It then goes on to talk about the consequences of the test. Interestingly enough fearless units will be subject to this test as well.

Wrecked and explode:
Goes in to detail how these work. Wrecked states the unit disembarks, explodes does not. Both state the unit must now take a pinning test.

So the reason Ive been playing it that 2 tests are required as to my mind the requirements are met.
Shaken -> Immobilised: Leadership test required.
Wreck: Pinning test required.

It doesn't even have to be from the same weapon firing as long as Shaken -> Immobilised happened once in that phase the test must be taken.

Going over these rules myself I could see an argument made for explodes that only the pinning test is required due to the models not disembarking, but then I guess they're covered by the first part of that rule "when a transport sustains damage...". Trying to argue this point would be very nit picky.

So one or two tests?

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
Re: Vehicle damage and effects on passengers.
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »
Shaken, stunned, weapon destroyed, immobilised:
At the end of the phase in which a vehicle sustains one or more of these damage results, the passengers must take a leadership test. - It then goes on to talk about the consequences of the test. Interestingly enough fearless units will be subject to this test as well

That's because Leadership tests and Morale/Pinning/Fear/Regroup etc tests are not equivalent. Fearless units automatically pass the latter, but may be required to take a leadership test by various effects that have some consequences.

As for the actual question you posted, the rules say that every penetrating shot must roll on the vehicle damage table as well (it goes on to say that this is because you could still get an explosion, but it doesn't in any way invalidate the other possible results). So my view on the matter (and how we have played it, is as follows:

1. You score two glances
2. You score a pen hit. This takes the last HP, but the rules say you still have to roll on the VDT. You do that and get a stunned result.
3. The rules for transports suffering damage say that whenever the vehicle sustains such a result the passengers will take a Ld test at the end of the phase.
4. The effects from losing the last HP apply - the vehicle is now wrecked and the transport rules kick in again. The passengers must immediately disembark and take a pinning test -  if you fail you GtG. The vehicle is afterwards considered a wreck.
5. The end of the shooting phase comes and you take a Ld (which is not a morale check but it doesn't matter anyway as pinned units are still eligible to them) to test on the survivors because of the stunned result.

You take two tests total - one which is resolved when the vehicle is wrecked and the other at the end of the phase. I could find nothing that invalidates this order of events, though as always I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2015, 10:05:29 AM by Radec »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
Yup, two tests--one for the vehicle damage inflicted, one for the disembark. Potentially a third if casualties are inflicted (requiring a morale check).

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »
Ok cool. It does feel a bit nasty making a unit take so many tests, particularly when as Wyddr pointed out a 3rd test may be required.

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
Ok cool. It does feel a bit nasty making a unit take so many tests, particularly when as Wyddr pointed out a 3rd test may be required.

Thanks for the feedback  :)

The pinning check is probably the scariest one there, but even Fearless units need to take the damage table one.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!