News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Undead Host of Amelia de Liesse  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
The Undead Host of Amelia de Liesse
« on: November 7, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
I've been toying with new ideas for my Vampire Counts army in Age of Sigmar.  I've put together a 100 wound list to face my opponent's Khorne dominated Chaos Daemons army later this year, and I'd welcome suggestions for tinkering with it.  The concept is a predominantly ethereal host which reflects the background which I am developing of a vampiress lost and alone in a hostile land, lacking many basic troops, but, owing to her own spiritual connection to the spirit world has a strong bond with ethereal units.

All of this is work in progress, but the draft list is thus:

Vampire Lord (on foot)
Necromancer (on foot)

25 Grave Guard (wight blades)
20 Skeletons (ancient blades)
20 Skeletons (ancient spears)

1 Cairn Wraith
1 Cairn Wraith
1 Tomb Banshee
2 Spirit Hosts
5 Hexwraiths

Total wounds: 99

I've had a lot of problems both in Warhammer and Age of Sigmar against my opponent's army.  It includes a lot of Fleshounds, two big units of Bloodletters, and often a Bloodthirster and a Daemon Prince.  They're surprisingly fast, hit very hard in combat, and have significant durability, so it's a real struggle for me to stop them using a conventional force.  The plan is to hold the line with the Grave Guard and Skeletons in the centre (the Grave Guard were one of the few units to cause my opponent problems in the last game), and attack hard on one flank with ethereal units.

Hopefully, the wound restriction will also make life easier for me, as it will force him to exclude some of those multiple wound characters that he has been using.  That said, I'm not banking on that to help me to achieve victory, so I'd welcome any advice.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: The Undead Host of Amelia de Liesse
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »
Why are you going by wounds, instead of points? It'll make the game a lot more balanced to use the generals handbook, might fix a lot of the issues you're having.

The missions in the generals handbook help balance the game too, by adding in varying objectives to work around.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
Because I cannot afford to buy the book at the moment, and I want to be sure that I'll play enough games for it to be a worthwhile investment, which is still under consideration.  As a result, for the time being, I'm just using the free downloadable rules and warscrolls.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »
Okay, well you don't need the book to get access to the points, or battlefield roles. This website is a free army builder, which has the points for every unit in Age of Sigmar.

I suggest building a 1000pt army using the points, as that'll mean both you and your opponent are on the same page (army-wise).

1000pt games are played on 4x4 tables, and you need 2+ battleline, 1-4 Leaders, 0-2 Artillery and 0-2 Beheamoths. The units battlefield roles are included on scrollbuilder. Just, ignore battleline on some troops, if it mentions a specific allegiance.

For the list. Grave Guard are very good, but expensive. I'd probably run them in two 10 man units (for flexibility) and use a large unit of skeletons as an anchor unit/tarpit. Add in other units as you desire.

I also recommend playing for objectives (even if you use 40k missions), or setting a turn limit. Most Age of Sigmar games last only 5 turns, so if you're playing the standard "kill the Most" cap the game length.

These two things in particular will make your games many times better until you get the handbook (which is amazing!)

Just remember that when building your list, you will need to (if you want) to set aside a points pool for summoning (for example, make a list for 800pts, and then leaving 200pts for summoning). You can only summon an amount of points from that pool, but can summon any number of things as long as you don't go past that points limit. It's a very flexible and powerful ability to use.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2016, 07:24:02 AM »
I except a project log with painted models soon. Chop chop! lol

Just kidding, great to see you playing some Warhammer Irisado. Please do share some pics of your army if you get a chance or feel inclined. Keep us posted on your games as well. Good luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »
I'm going to have to have a bit of a rethink, in view of points costs about what i was planning to do in terms of the army list.  I'll have to give it some thought.  I may just keep things simple and remove all the ethereal options.  I certainly need to cut down on leaders, as they're expensive.

As for painting, no chance :P.  My opponent has a decent mobile phone, so pictures and a battle report are a possibility.  His Daemons are mostly pained (he got a good deal on e-bay a few years back), but none of my Vampire Counts army is painted, as I'd hate to ruin my models.

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
Undead are dead easy to get some paint on. Even with basecoats + wash + dry brush :-)

I think hexwraiths have great tactical use, due to their ability to fly and speed. Units with those attributes are great in places of power, and gifts from the heavens in particular.

You'll want at least two heroes. A vampire lord and two wraiths(and/or banshee) could be a good compliment of heroes, and not too expensive.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »
Hahah  ;D I knew I'd get that response. I'll stop pestering you after this one last comment: If you primer black, dry brush Celestra Grey and then do a little black wash with just sand on the base you'd have a real nice looking army. Thats it! My pestering ceases... continue with actual gaming talk! lol :) :) :)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »
I think hexwraiths have great tactical use, due to their ability to fly and speed. Units with those attributes are great in places of power, and gifts from the heavens in particular.

I found Hexwraiths to be effective during my first game, I just didn't use them very well, because I forgot about being able to fly and all the bonuses that this brings.  I am definitely planning on including them.

You'll want at least two heroes. A vampire lord and two wraiths(and/or banshee) could be a good compliment of heroes, and not too expensive.

Two Wraiths strike me as being the better choice against Daemons.  The Banshee struggled to do anything of note to all those Khorne Daemons at all.

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
Calvary and speedy units are all super useful. That's what I like about units like Mighty Skullcrushers and Khorgorths in my army. Both are (comparably) fast, and so are good flankers. Most calvary has an extra wound over footsloggers, so they can tarpit units for a time as well.

Mighty Skullcrushers are not super offensively for their price, but are surprisingly quick, and are hard to kill. Get them jamming an opponent's objective, and they can be hard to chew through.

I wish I had access to flying units. All I have right now is a bloodthirster, but it's 300pts, so not something I can throw around willy-nilly lol.

Banshees do give you a source of shooting attacks. They a re useful if you don't know rust you're up against. More heros let's you benefit more easily from the fantastic (arguably best) allegiance ability.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria