News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What are ideal squad sizes in a 1500 point game?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Valeli

What are ideal squad sizes in a 1500 point game?
« on: October 7, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
Specifically, I was wondering about the warriors - shooty ones, to be precise.

I bought the battleforce and made a squad of 3, one having a barbed strangler. Then I went on and bought another battle force a few weeks later, and I've got to decide if I should just add them to the first squad, or make them a second squad with its own barbed strangler.  Two squads would let me spread their synapse out more... but it would be much easier to kill a squad of three, and destroy all synapse from it.

What about hormagaunts/spinegaunts? I figure ~16-20 or so / squad is decent enough?

Genestealers? I'm thinking I should keep the stealer squad(s) small to help them hide better. I'd rather not have them running through the open until the enemy is already engaged with gaunts when possible. Is that a good plan?

Offline overmind2000

Re: What are ideal squad sizes in a 1500 point game?
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2007, 05:06:36 AM »
To be honest, whilst there are some general understandings, it is better to give us a list to pick over. Sometimes a large group works better in a certain army, other times smaller groups.
Generally though, from what you have said, you are thinking along the right lines. 6 warriors should be enough to remain a functioning unit, without being wiped out, though with shooty you might get away with smaller numbers if they don't have to follow the close combat elements of the army; 16-20 gaunts/hormagaunts - again a good number to be thinking; Genestealers are a trickier buntch, but I recon at least 9 plus in a group should be sufficient.