News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Coreheim Warband Project  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
Coreheim Warband Project
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
Hey gents! Fresh from my work for Rasmus, I've embarked on another small project. Many of you are probably familiar with Mordheim. If you played lots of it in the past (as I have), you're familiar with it's problems and limitations also. That is why my gaming group is so intrigued by Coreheim. Thus, I'm starting to put together a Marienburg Mercenary warband. Once my terrain arrives, I finish building the rest, and my group gets their stuff together, I'll probably start posting about the campaign. In the meantime, this is the short and dirty version of the band, and my efforts to paint it.

First, background. A quick and dirty writeup for fun. Skip it if you like  ;).

Captain Frederick Simmern has lead an interesting life. The (disowned) son of a reasonably successful merchant, he worked the docks before fate smiled on him and he won a ship in a game of dice from a drunken captain. His good fortune continued when his first trading voyage was outrageously successful, making him richer than he ever thought possible. Upon outfitting his ship with the best of men and equipment he went on more voyages, ever increasing in wealth.

However, his last trading mission met with disaster at the hands of Dark Elf corsairs. While he fought valiantly, slaying several of the Corsairs with their own swords after losing his cutlass, his crew was no match. Desperate, and refusing to let his crew be taken as slaves while his goods were stolen, he set fire to the ships magazine and leapt from the ship. The resulting explosion destroyed both his vessel, and that of the Dark Elves.

Later, on the edge of delirium from dehydration, he was picked up by a passing trading vessel also plying the trade out of Marienburg. Once back in port, Frederick heard of a new source of riches in the Empire. Using the last of his wealth to put together a small warband he calls the Red Cloud, Frederick set out for the ruined city of Mordheim, his swords now named Bloodshed and Vengeance gripped tightly in his hands.

And here is the warband itself. A caveat - I'm going for quite a rough and ready modelling // paintjob. No highlighting here, base colours and a wash of Devlan Mud or two. Considering that people might die, or new people may get hired, I'd hate to put lots of effort in to a guy or two... because inevitably they'd die first  :P.

The Heroes:

My Captain

Two Sergeants

Two Youngbloods

My Henchmen/Hired Swords

Militia Group

Marksmen Group

Hired Swords

OPTIONAL FUN GAME!

I've used the 'Free Company Militia' Box as the basis for this Warband. But can anyone tell me the other bits/models I've used on various models to make it work?

Hopefully you can get full sizes on those warband lists by using 'view image'. If not, and you want details, just ask.
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
Re: Coreheim Warband Project
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
I'm not sure how much I like these rules. While the streamlining is good and reduced movement, ranges etc sorts out certain shenanigans I find the lack of a ws table vexing. Sure, a skilled warrior will hit his opponent more easily, but 'weapon skill' implies defence as well; two skilled fighters should find it more difficult to hit each other. While there are fewer save modifiers, it is still a lot cheaper to negate armour than obtain it, which was always an issue, as by the time you can afford it there's no point. Also the flat numbers lost for routing rather than ratio is odd. And what's with vampires having max strength four? And freelancers not coming with their own horse? I also find it curious that the cheapest weapons are more useful after a few turns than at the outset of the campaign.
There are some good ideas though and I think I may incorporate some into my own homebrew...

Anyway, on to the roster: numbers are key! Slightly less key in this ruleset but still important. In the early stages of a campaign especially, large warbands have a big advantage. Equipment should be secondary to personnel. Duelling pistols are spiffy, but also pricey. You could get a whole henchman group for the price of those three guns.
While hired swords are good early on, I tend to avoid them at the outset. What are the ranger and knight bringing that another henchman or three can't? Apart from a George Martin reference, that is. Though you pay less for them as marienburgers, this means that they are easier to hire on low incomes and as such I would stick with pure mercs to start. What are the other players in the campaign? Unless you anticipate armour (who starts with armour?) I'd give the militia swords too. Unless there are undead around in which case opt for clubs.
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.