News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Where does the Multi-Melta go?  (Read 959 times)

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
Where does the Multi-Melta go?
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »
Hello guys, i just got my first LRC for my new templars army :)
I had a quick question, in the pictures i see online, it looks like people put the MM in the back slot on the LR. Why not the front?? I wanted to put it closer to my enemies, is there any particular reason for it's placement? Can i put it up front if i want to?

THank you

Oh, and also, i am interested in the Space Hulk Terminators, because i have found some for very cheap.  They look great, but im wary because it seems too good to be true. Is there anything wierd about the space hulk guys?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:12:09 PM by JusticeCetin »
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: Where does the Multi-Melta go?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Oh, and also, i am interested in the Space Hulk Terminators, because i have found some for very cheap.  They look great, but I'm wary because it seems too good to be true. Is there anything wierd about the space hulk guys?

Aside from being totally covered in blood angles icons and what not and not having standard bases, just thin plastic shapes, they should be fine.  ::)

I don't really see a problem with putting it up the front, but this is just my personal opinion so someone else may differ.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline pudd

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:41:42 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem putting the melta at the front, it would only make maybe an inch difference maybe.

The Space Hulk terminators are beautiful models and I bought the space hulk box purely to get my hands on some. The only problem with them (and its not really a problem I suppose) is that you can't make a full squad of 10 regular terminators. Of the 12 models, 1 is a librarian, 2 are for assault terminator squads, and the 9 left are for a regular squad. It's not really a problem, just annoying for me. Other than that, great models.

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
Okay great, thank you guys. 

Yeah i noticed the Angles Iconography, but since i only really need 3 termies because i need to get 2 with cyclones, i think that the 3 standard ones with storm bolter/ Pfist would be great.  I'm also going to pick up the lightning claws guy too.  I really wanted the Thunder Hammer guy but the cheapest one i could find was like 25$, and the rest im getting for like $6 each. 

thanks guys
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:24:58 AM »
Putting the multi-melta in the front makes more sense than putting it in the back, because A) slightly longer range, by about an inch, B) from a fluff perspective, do Marines really want superheated star-stuff skimming overhead when they pop their heads out of the other top hatch?

For what it's worth I don't understand the in-the-back thing either.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Mine is going up front with the assault cannons. If you look at the marine codex you should be able to find an ultramarines crusader with this set up.

Also note that you could also mount your hurricane bolters in the front slots too and have access behind the guns, a fact I only discovered after gluing in my olde metal hurricane bolters  :(

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Also note that you could also mount your hurricane bolters in the front slots too and have access behind the guns, a fact I only discovered after gluing in my olde metal hurricane bolters  :(
Again, this is how it should be -- do you really want the door opening and then, suddenly, crossfire from your own guns?

Would that I actually had the space to keep a Land Raider model -- then I could demonstrate where all the guns should be positioned for maximum it-makes-sense factor. Alas, words will have to do for now.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
I mount my LR weapons to the rear, while you don't want guys jumping out into cross fire, it doesn't work well on the table. If you can only get out one side, you will not be able to legally disembark more than five models from one of the side doors with the sponsons up front. However, I play BA and don't like assault termies (in favor of Death co). So I have more models inside than other chapters.

As far as the MM goes, any of the top hatches works fine. If you are using the half-model gunner sticking out the top, he can be hard to fit and swivel around in the front slot. However, I use the closed hatched MM mount option which allows me to swivel at the front easier. The top also has much better LoS (full 360) as apposed to the front which would have a limited arc. So there are plus and minuses.

Moral of the story? Magnetize everything and save yourself some headache. This way, you can move the positions around as you please.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:49:45 PM by Partninja »