News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lelith Hesperax WIP  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Czar

Lelith Hesperax WIP
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
Well it's ALMOST finished, I just need to go around the hilt of the sword in a dark grey to highlight it, then get the whole model varnished properly.

Comments? I'm not really happy with the sword, I think it looks too plain (It's just boltgun metal with a mithril silver edge). I'm generally not very good at metallics like that. Initially I tried adding little bits of blue ink to make it look better but it didn't come out right, so if anyone has any ideas how I could improve it please let me know!

I'm not the greatest painter in the world but I only really started caring about how I painted my models about a year ago and I think this is the best mini I've done yet, so I'd like to make sure it's consistent. And sorry for pic quality, my camera is crap - it's fully capable of focusing properly but it has no manual focus. Grr.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:11:55 PM by Xzamuel »

Offline Felix Faustus

• Failed Anti-Mod Revolutionary
  • 1 part idiocy; 2 parts irony; 3 parts lobstrosity
Re: Lelith Hesperax WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »
Overall it looks very nice as a scheme but I can't really comment without a little more focuses pics, sorry man.
If you can stage the conditions right, creating a chaos god of biscuits could be quite possible.

Offline Czar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the comment, the colours are there to match the rest of my army, I don't fancy doing the Wych contingent in different ones to the Kabal dudes.

I managed to take some slightly better pictures so replaced the old ones!

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
Overall; very nice.  Extremely smooth highlights, excellent detail as well.  Two complaints though.  The sword is a little rough, but you said you're still working on it.  The trident is also a little...so-so.  Not exactly digging the blue.  Not so much poorly painted, just feels out of place.

Let's see some more!

Offline Czar

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
Yeah, I see what you mean about the blue. I would have done it green, which would mesh more with the other colours, but didn't have any green ink, so just took the easy way out  ::) I might pick up some green ink next time I'm out though and try repaint it. I definately didn't want to do it metallic though after the crap I did on the sword.

Not wanting to 'blame my tools' here either, but the sword on this model is REALLY badly sculpted/cast. Disappointing considering the rest is so nice. I had to grind the blade sharp on the curved part because it was just like a big lump of metal, and the sharpening on the straight bit doesn't run smooth at all, nor do the spikes  >:(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:29:40 PM by Xzamuel »

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:24:25 PM »
Shes looking good! My only criticism is that , as you said, the blade looks a bit plain, a bit of blood or gore will do a world of good.

Mr.Squid
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:25:52 PM by Mr.Squid »
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
Well, she is a character and as such deserves more attention then a mere grunt. I would call it a very good start. The color scheme is great, in fact I don't remember this chick ever done in these colors. What , i think is needed at this point is highlighting of pretty much everything. I would make edges of armor, edges of sword's hilt and "edges" of her hair much brighter. The skin I would make a bit warmer, she looks too grey, She is supposed to be pale, but not dead.

As for the sword. Try diluted magenta ink, or mix of magenta ink and some blue ink. That concoction will make it darker and colored, then I would take mythril silver and rehighlight very edges
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:31:59 PM by Skeeve »

Offline Alias The Jester

• "Gurth gothrim lye"
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »
Great color scheme Xzamuel, If as you say all your wytches are the same colour scheme thet should look fantastic on the battlefield. I think the highlighting and skin tone are fine as they are, And you have done a superb job of the base.

As you say the sword is a little plain , but there are several ways to make it stand out , ( this really goes for the trident as well) Try  as Skeeve suggested washing with a thinned down blue ink to give some depth and then highlight with first a mix of something like Blue ink and Mithril Silver ( 50/50) along the very edges and then a final highlight of pure Mithril Silver.

Great lookin fig Xzamuel, keep up the good work

Cheers
ATJ   8)
"Llie n'vanima ar' lle atara lanneina"