News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [1850] Death Guard - ITC Competitive  (Read 1301 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
[1850] Death Guard - ITC Competitive
« on: January 5, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
I wanted to get in on the Death Guard Train. For those that are into ITC-format 40k, here's my contribution to powergaming.

++Death Guard CAD++
Sorcerer on Palanquin w/ Force Axe, ML 3, and Spell Familiar - 180 [Warlord]

16 Cultists of Nurgle - 106
16 Cultists of Nurgle - 106

Sicaran w/ Heavy Bolters and Dozer Blade - 160
5 Havocs, 4 Autocannons - 130
Void Shield Generator - 100

++Death Guard Purge Detachment++
Sorcerer on Palanquin w/ Force Axe, ML 3, and Spell Familiar - 180
Mutilator of Nurgle - 61
Mutilator of Nurgle - 61
Mutilator of Nurgle - 61
Sicaran w/ Heavy Bolters and Dozer Blade - 160

++Heralds Anarchic++
Herald on Disc w/ Exalted Locus of Conjuration - 95

Total: 1850

Mutilators are a mix of counter-assault, and objective-capping. Think Tyrant Guard in Lictorshame or so.

Heralds are a pseudo-Land Speeder, and roll on Tzeentch to fish for Boon of Flame or Prismatic Bolt; alternately, there's fishing on Divination for Misfortune, or Malefic for Dark Flame. Sorcerers do Shriek and Summon. Everything else shoots.

With the extra D6 Warp Charge, it's enough dice for all 3 Horrors to cast Flickerfire on 3 dice each, and the Sorcerers to cast Shriek on 2, or enough for both Sorcerers to summon on 5 each and have insurance against lost WC due to Perils.

When in doubt, bring more Dakka.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 06:20:07 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: [1850] Death Guard - ITC Competitive
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
What is the Purge formation from? Is it the Forge World formation from Seige of Vrakks?

I think the best way to run Death Guard, is to run the Formation of Detachments. The stealth Bonus, and re-rolls to Feel No Pain is very good, especially when running the warband where you have a bunch of extremely tough Objective Secured units (event the relentless havocs).

Mutliators are still just so bad, and they can even run to try and contest objectives (which if they are not objective secured, wont happen as many armies either have Eldar Jetbikes, or are battle company).

The Void Shield Generator in ITC took a huge hit too, along with the GW FAQ. It'll stop some shooting, but I don't think it's enough to take a CAD over the Death Guard Victorium.

Heralds are an interesting choice. They will be easy first blood, but if kept in reserve, can be useful in the later game. Too bad they cannot have psychic Shriek.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Re: [1850] Death Guard - ITC Competitive
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
Yup, it's from Vraks revised.

The Vectorium requires me to take a Lord as a tax, no matter which core I run. For the cost of tooling up a Nurgle Bike Lord, I'm about ready to run a Palanquin Sorcerer for summoning. The bonus Feel No Pain is admittedly awesome, but the Stealth at range isn't going to mean as much when Skyhammer/Skatach Wraithknights are a thing.

Mutilators are area denial as much as they are assault. Free FNP and Veterans mean any SM vehicle that gets near them is dead, and they can solo most Battle Company units anyway (as let's be honest, most MSU tacsquads do not gear up for melee). In a pinch, Curse of the Leper turns one into a budget Carnifex and there's something endearing about that.

The Heralds are mostly there for Flickerfire, or as a summon battery. It's not as efficient as triple Scatter Lasers, but it adds up.