News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gabriel Seth's Fourocious instincts  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
Gabriel Seth's Fourocious instincts
« on: September 9, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »
How does it work in this edition?

1) since rolls to hit seth are the same as those to hit his unit, all 1's trigger the ability?
OR
2) Do only rolls to hit JUST him affect trigger the ability?
Or
3) something else....

Please back up your choice with a rule...  I'm interested since it will change my list for an up coming event.

Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
Re: Gabriel Seth's Fourocious instincts
« Reply #1 on: September 9, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
I would say number 2 and that the rule is now only applicable in two circumstances - a challenge and/or if Seth is the only member of the unit being assaulted

As for support it comes down to the wording of the rule, "rolls of a '1' to hit Seth..."
The only way to hit Seth using the new to hit rules are if he is in a challenge whereby it would only effect the challengers attacks  or if he is the only model in the unit as he would be the only viable target
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
« Reply #2 on: September 9, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
What if seth is the model in base to base... or the first one I allocate to? wouldn't those be rolls to hit seth?

Do attacks directed at the unit have no chance to hit seth?

You can see the puzzle this is for me : (
Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #3 on: September 9, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
The point is you roll to hit against the unit and the majority weapon skill unless in a challenge

Therefore by the time Seth is involved (by having wounds allocated to him) it's already too late for his rule - you've done your hits and can't go back to start re-rolling

If he's in a challenge or he's a lone model being assaulted then fine, you have to hit him and only him so therefore his rule can come into play but if you're attacking a unit that contains him you're not attacking him directly, you're attacking his unit and the specific wording of the rule prohibits its use

Note also the wording of the FAQ question involving him:
"Q: Do models that are allowed to re-roll rolls of 1 To Hit in close
combat, who are fighting Gabriel Seth, suffer hits if they roll 1 To Hit
and further hits if their re-rolls To Hit are also 1s?"

If you're rolling to hit against the unit as per the rules in the Rulebook then you're not fighting Gabriel Seth, you're fighting a unit which happens to have Gabriel Seth in it, a different enough distinction to prevent the use of his special rule
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
Similar situation is with the Space Wolf character Lukas the Trickster. See SW FAQ 1.1 p5 if you want, but a straightforward reading of the rules of how the rules work--hits are worked out on the unit as a whole and wounds are allocated. If someone has an ability to make hits that go after him re-roll, they'd only have an effect if that character is the only model in the squad.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!