News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Terminators  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Eldar Viking

Terminators
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »
Hello,

I have a friend who got Grey Knight when the first Daemon Hunters Codex was released. He started because he loved the new terminator models. Now he is being told by all the marine players that no-one uses terminators any more as for the same points you get half the firepower and that with all the AP2 weapons available they die just as easily. In short that it doesn't make sense taking them. Is this true? Does no-one use them anymore? If so it seems a shame because reading the fluff the Grey knights are supposed to be built around the Terminator squads and also my friend would be unwise to use his favourite models.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Terminators
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »
The optimal build for Grey Knights is more centred around Purifiers than it is around Terminators, and they are right in the sense that for half the points you get more.  And there has been an increase in the amount of AP2 weaponry, but at least Terminators get an invulnerable save against those weapons, units in power armour just die.

So if your friend is looking to build a fluffy list to have fun with, there is nothing wrong with going heavy Terminators.  If he wants competitive then maybe he should look at Purifiers.

As for the question of whether or not people still use Terminators, to answer that I present you this army list.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
The density of AP 2 also varies greatly by metagame and opponent.

Some lists, like the Necrons for example, have a lot of trouble shoveling lots of AP2 into their lists. Others, like the Imperial Guard, can put it everywhere and anywhere.

Most armies I've faced will have 1-2 units that can kick out substantial amounts of plasma fire. Using a terminator-heavy army, then, simply becomes an issue of taking out or neutralizing those specific threats.

Then there's the Eldar and the Imperial Guard--good luck with that.  :(

Offline Eldar Viking

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
He isn't necessarily doing a terminator heavy army, he just wants to use some even if it's just a single unit. If he puts it in a Landraider and charges out straight into combat would they then be okay?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
Oh, one unit of Terminators is perfectly viable in an army, depending on the game size.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »
Terminator armies are very hit or miss, and tend to cause a nasty mis-match either for you or for your opponent.
Either they have plenty of AP2 and will kill you off quickly, or they don't and you walk all over them.

But as stated, just having a single unit in a dominantly power armoured army is a perfectly viable tactic.
They will draw all the AP2 fire, so teleporting or Land Raider delivery is often a good idea.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Terminators are definitely still relevant even with the plethora of AP2 weaponry around.
I took part in a campaign a little while ago using my Dark Angels which allowed for Dynamic list building. Most of the time I used a mixed list which people prepared for, every now and again I threw in a Deathwing list which did very well.
As has been said, there is the ability for most armies to stock up on AP2 weaponry, if people know that you are going to be putting out lots of Terminators you can pretty much guarantee that the amount of plasma in their list will jump up!
Take in moderation and your friend will be absolutely fine with them.
One of the Grey Knight players at my LGC regularly uses a unit of Terminators in a Storm Raven with a Dreadnought. It's a combo which works rather well!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »
The new Sanctuary psy power helps the Termies survivability quite a bit!

GM Rex
7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines