News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new to tau help with list  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Vincedis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • The eye of God, or the eye of terror?
new to tau help with list
« on: September 14, 2002, 07:56:43 AM »
I'm pretty new to warhammer in general but i had wanted to start on my second army and i bought the tau codex. i'd like some input before i go out and start buying the models.

[ HQ ]
Ethereal 50pts

[ ELITES ]
5 XV15 Stealth Battlesuits (Bonded) - 160 pts.

2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (Plasma Rifle/Misslepod/Multi-tracker; Team Leader w/HW Drone Controller & 2 Shield drones) - 167 pts.

2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (Plasma Rifle/Misslepod/Multi-tracker; Team Leader w/HW Drone Controller & 2 Shield drones) - 167 pts.

[ TROOPS ]
10 Fire Warriors (Bonded, 5 with carbines) - 110 pts.

[FAST ATTACK]
7 Gun Drones - 84 pts
7 Gun Drones - 84 pts

[ HEAVY SUPPORT ]
2 XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (1 w/Target Lock, 1 w/Drone Controller & 2 Shield drones) - 175 pts.

Hammerhead Gunship (Railgun, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multi-tracker, Target Lock) - 170 pts.

TOTAL:  1497

Thanks  for reading the list :-)
would you like to be, err... SEE my trophy rack?

'ard boyz tournament rules http://us.games-workshop.com/news/events/other_events/ardboys/default.htm

Dark Eldar Harly
http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

bell of lost souls fan site http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/

Offline TAUriffic

• Mmmmm....Railguns.....
    • The Wordsmiths of 40k
Re:new to tau help with list
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 09:13:03 AM »
For the HQ, you should definatly get a Crisis Suit Shas'El or Shas'O.   IMHO, they are way better then Ethereals, although much higher in points.  The added BS, WS and Leadership can really come in handy.  Of course, the Ethereal is also essential, as he keeps your Tau from running far far away once the battle get ugly.  ;D

For your Fire Warriors, I'd drop those 5 carbines in the squads, as you dramatically reduce your firing range.  The best thing about Fire Warriors is the Pulse Rifle, with the 30" range.  With the carbines, you only get 5 shots per squad, but if you had only 2 carbines, you'd get at least 8, while still retaining the pinning capability of the carbines if the enemy gets too close.

Although some people aren't a fan of Kroot, I would strongly recommend a squad.  You may not use them in every game, but the counter-assault and assault delaying elements of them can be invaluable.

Otherwise, it loks good.  :D
The Tau are unstoppable...the Tau are unbeatable...the Tau are TAUriffic!!

Offline AceV53

Re:new to tau help with list
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 11:48:07 AM »
     I'd say keep the Ethereal as long as you don't need the extra firepower. It's influence on the Tau morale is needed. Just keep in mind you must HIDE HIM because he won't do much else. Against large numbered opponents I'd go with the Crisis Suit Commander.
     Excellent number of Firewarriors. As TAUriffic had said, drop the carbines. They are pretty much useless against high leadership opponents and their range is too short. You can stay out of range of most of the enemies regular weapons and lay down heavy firepower. (Even enough to glance an Armor 11 tank).
     I never use gun drone squadrons. Sure they have the pinning capability and a twin-linked weapon but they just don't seem as useful as other possible choices of units. I guess it's up to you and your strategy with that one.
     Good Heavy support choices. That Hammerhead is gonna do some real heavy damage (gotta love submunitions!). The only thing I suggest is add one more Broadside for more railgun power.
     VERY IMPORTANT: Have your Troops Bonded by the Ta'lissera. Very useful for regrouping if your Tau are under 50% power.
     I hope this helps you out a bit.  :)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko