News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What rule set do you use for your harlequin army? What atmosphere?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
It's regrettably been quite a while since the last performance of my great masque.  I'm hoping to get back to it quite soon (its a shame to have 2000pts of original harlequins just sitting in an old army carrier), and so as such must consider the questions of what army rule set to use, and would also like the input of the community as to how you guys usually use your harlequins.  Do you most commonly, or exclusively, use them as a full army in standard games?  Allies or single squads in normal games/apoc?  Only for combat patrols, kill teams, or other specialty sets?  Are your harlequins something you consider a main army, or more of a friendly non-serious game army?  How do your opponents react to them?

I have been separated from the Masque for too long (I admit a driving infatuation with my ultra-marines that has separated me from my roots quite soundly), I hope to return.

Thank you all in advance for the info.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: What rule set do you use for your harlequin army? What atmosphere?
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2009, 04:52:18 AM »
I use my Harlequins as a stand-alone army (and since I have sold my other Eldar, I have no real choice in this matter) and 99% of the time using the EO Harlequin Codex rules, for playtesting.
I have played them as a proxy-army for some tournaments, but I have never been too pleased with the results.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2009, 05:19:33 AM »
Thanks for the input Rasmus.

By saying you've never been too pleased with the results, do you mean they perform poorly for you in that atmosphere?  If that's not the case, how do they play for you, and what points range do you mostly/prefer playing at?
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
Ive never used the EO ruleset before, so I have no experience with it, but the one published by WD (I think) and available for dl at GW website did fine when I was playtesting Harlies [was thinking about getting them before deciding on DE (might still)]

As for atmosphere I played them as a friendly game, as the Codex for them is outdated and high-priced. My opponents reaction was "wtf?" When I had my Jesters teleporting around and my GH and Solitare running havoc in their ranks, but that was back in 4th when you could consolidate into another unit for CC. Today I would probably field a different make-up, but all in all they are a fun army to play none the less.

While the Harlies worked wonders for me in the play tests, I saw them as one-trick ponies. CC mastery yes, but once they fought them acouple of times my opponents were coming up with cleaver ways of stopping them in their tracks. I did like the solitary DJs teleporting around, but I just couldnt bring enough anti-tank to the field without having to resort to melta pistols, which disapointed me heavily.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2009, 06:22:51 AM by Shadows Revenge »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2009, 06:24:56 AM »
I merely dislike the way a proxy-list work. They are, after all, not really harlequins, and they do not handle like Harlequins, perform like harlequins, work like harlequins. They are just guardians with fancy-dress on.
The few tournaments/events where I have been allowed to use the CJ-list or the EO-list (one even allowed the Troll-list from EoT which was a giggle) has been a lot more rewarding, and a lot more fun.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.