News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 120092 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur: Rise of the Ondaric Enclaves
« Reply #640 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys!

My original plan maybe too ambitious.

I might try for a sunburst effect instead.

So I'm thinking that with a black undercoat, I can change an orangey color into more of a bronzy, dark hue of orange on the sheild and cloaks, then highlight with a strong gold yellow for folds / center of the shield, then highlight with that final, small burst of sunburst yellow.

I'm aiming for a 1-to-1 translation of that artwork to the models. So it'll be kind of that more pallid teal color.
Robes will be fiery orange and the banners will be that crimson color
gold on the scalemail - filigree

For basing, it'll either be a meadow / grassland or desert theme
I think I'm leaning toward the meadow as I already have the basing materials I need for those.

http://www.amazon.com/Peco-PPCPSG1-Grass-Micro-Applicator/dp/B01LZ6ACQL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=static+grass+applicator&qid=1589651624&sr=8-1

Will probably use an applicator on the grass.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:16:54 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #641 on: May 17, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »
Gonna look sweet. Good colors. Now get one done so we can see it  ;)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #642 on: May 17, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
That sounds like a better plan Myen'Tal. I think your previous idea may have been a bit too busy; you're models are already visually very striking, so I don't think an ostentatious colouring would be required. The previous idea would have resulted in a riot of colours which would have detracted from the overall scheme.

Looking forward to seeing the new direction you're working in and how it all comes together.

As Dread says though, less talky, more painty.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #643 on: May 17, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
Do some test painting on a old soda bottle or something, given inks are transparent, you might find it is too dark on that much of the model. I have noticed even with orange paints, it needs a number of layers over black, while yellow is rather painful, at the very least, I would consider pre-shading with the primer.

Brown washes help darken the gold or even brass, the orange should still work, but might not be dark enough to make much of a difference.  I stumped onto one of Duncan's new video's where he uses Gulliman flesh contrast on gold instead of agrax, its an interesting idea I'm going to have a play with.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #644 on: May 17, 2020, 10:54:41 PM »
Do some test painting on a old soda bottle or something, given inks are transparent, you might find it is too dark on that much of the model. I have noticed even with orange paints, it needs a number of layers over black, while yellow is rather painful, at the very least, I would consider pre-shading with the primer.

Brown washes help darken the gold or even brass, the orange should still work, but might not be dark enough to make much of a difference.  I stumped onto one of Duncan's new video's where he uses Gulliman flesh contrast on gold instead of agrax, its an interesting idea I'm going to have a play with.-

Well I'm no longer planning on using inks for this current scheme, Mage, but thank you for the advice! I'll keep that in mind. I'll be using different Vallejo Game Air colors for the base colors and some highlights using zenithal, etc, by the airbrush.

It'll be the first time I'd fire up an airbrush for mass production lol. I've been learning some more techniques and am eager to try some of them on the Lumineth.

That sounds like a better plan Myen'Tal. I think your previous idea may have been a bit too busy; you're models are already visually very striking, so I don't think an ostentatious colouring would be required. The previous idea would have resulted in a riot of colours which would have detracted from the overall scheme.

Looking forward to seeing the new direction you're working in and how it all comes together.

As Dread says though, less talky, more painty.

Hey Loosh,

Yeah you're right, the sunset cloaks would probably just take away from the paint job. I actually like the scheme I've settled on, and hope I'll do it justice  :).

Lumineth need to be released before I can begin this mad scheme... I may take them to a tournament happening in late august... either its going to be my swiftest painted army created in full dedication mode or I'm falling back on the Idoneth lol.

Gonna look sweet. Good colors. Now get one done so we can see it  ;)

Thanks Dread, I'm sure you're going to love them whenever I can get my hands on them!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #645 on: May 30, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
So all is silent on the painting front...

Somewhat :D.

I'm in a bit of a bind as I'm making preparations to relocate into a new home and area before my apartment lease ends in August. I'm spending my time searching the web for houses and what not, rather practicing the art of the brush.

But within the darkness, there is hope, as Teclis once said.

So big announcement... the Conclaves of the Asur have deliberated and the doors once barred from all non-aelven kind have been allowed entry. But for who!?

Rumors abound about delegations of Necron Emissaries sent from the Silent King...

That is correct. I am doing Necrons :P. The decision is set in stone, as I'm splitting two of the upcoming 9th edition starter boxes with some friends. I'm in love with what I've seen so far of the new range, and I know we haven't seen everything just yet!

On the other hand... really hoping that the Lumineth Realm-Lords Starter Box will come onto pre-order at the end of this week. Because of Necrons and me wanting to get my Idoneth to a good standard army-wide soon... I feel like the Lumineth will take a slight step back on the army collection phase. Even the collecting of the Necrons will be a bit slow after the starter set extravaganza lol.

This is because I'm relocating to a new home. Thankfully, I'm splitting it three way with a relative and a trusted friend. So my current bills are about to take a serious cut once the transition is official. But I'm also trying to novel up and running, which is also going to be a bit of money.

I guess its true that once you get older, it's bills, bills, bills lol. I'll fare alright though :), just going to take it slow and not throw my wallet at anything too crazy like.

Also, let's talk about paint.

I ordered the complete wash collection from Secret Weapon Miniatures back toward the end of April, and am still waiting on all of that. Which is okay because -covid.

I've kept an eye on the vallejo mecha color range and have wanted a complete set for a little while now. I cannot confirm, but I have an unidentified order coming in on Monday for my B-Day that might be it. Here's hoping! I would be using this range in depth for Necrons.

Also, Scale 75 has come out with an interesting competitor to GW's contrast paint. It looks way better than contrast, honestly, with more vibrant colors and many different shades of primer. I think it could help me speed up the painting on my Lumineth!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #646 on: May 30, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »
Boom! I wish you well in all your endeavors my friend. I have a big Necrons army so welcome to the legion.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #647 on: May 31, 2020, 04:10:08 AM »
I believe you mean, you are capturing the Necron's to use in training exercises for your point ears ;)

Necrons are a nice force, I've managed to capture a small force over the decades :) Good timing to get onboard, looks like GW is just dropping all their new stuff in one go unlike the primaris marines. soo tempted to capture one of those new C'tans, looks like it would be a lot of fun to paint.

Good luck with the move bud.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #648 on: June 6, 2020, 12:33:49 PM »
Thank you, guys!

So, I have an update on my future projects that mean I'll be painting sooner rather than later.

1) Lumineth Realm-Lords I am postponing until November at the earliest.

2) Also, I've discarded the idea of doing Necrons after talking with the Grandmaster of my gaming group for a little while.

3) I have officially initiated the process of Ad. Mech: Stage I - which includes:

1x Old start collecting! Skitarii box (barely managed to find one of these lol)
1x New start collecting! Mechanicus box
1x Serberys Raiders box
And some Vallejo Mecha Paints...

I am stoked to get started on Mechanicus. I'll spare you the details on why I chose them (again) lol. But this project will be starting alongside my Idoneth as their project is nearing completion.

Hope to be back with some manner of actual painting updates soon!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #649 on: June 7, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »
Ad Mech? Looking forward to it Myen'Tal.

I'm starting to think that you're my hobby twin on this board; we always seem to fire off the same long term projects.

Which Forgeworld are you planning on painting them as? And why; background? Army abilities? Colour scheme?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #650 on: June 7, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »

Mechanicus loot from a friend looking to trade away the last of his army!

Knee deep in training for Nashcon AoS tournament! Fought against the Hendonites of Slaanesh in round one of our practice games! Double turn after turn 2 sealed the fate of the brave Idoneth who battled that day.

Fought Nurgle in the next game, and managed a close win after a brutal slug fest!!

Ad Mech? Looking forward to it Myen'Tal.

I'm starting to think that you're my hobby twin on this board; we always seem to fire off the same long term projects.

Which Forgeworld are you planning on painting them as? And why; background? Army abilities? Colour scheme?

Yeah that's weird, it's like we're on the same brain wave  ;D.

It will be a custom forge world, haven't created the background yet. Just now starting this project, so I'm not certain on rules either, except Stygies + Mars combination. Color scheme will be dark metallic, turquoise, and crimson I think as the main colors I think.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conclaves of the Asur: Mechanicus muster! Idoneth Strike!
« Reply #651 on: June 8, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
Those gaming tables looked great.

Admech is a really nice model range, its kind of surprising how much love they have been getting from GW since their range is not that old. The Infiltrators wielding overpowered cattle prod and uzi's is just hilarious, couldn't resist adding them to my force.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #652 on: June 8, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
Hi Mage, thanks for the compliments! Both tables belong to a friend of mine, who painted all the terrain on both tables. We're part of a club that likes to organize events, so we have tables and terrain in spades (except me and the newer members lol  :P).

I've always thought Ad Mech were really cool too! It is weird that they've gotten so much new stuff because as you noted, their so much more new that some other factions.

I use to hate the Kastelan '40s' TV Robots lol, but they've actually grown on me.

The Archeopter and the Skorpius tank are by my favorite ad mech models!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #653 on: June 11, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Another Mechanicus trade to be acquired!

Nashcon preparation continues! My Idoneth battled some Khorne Daemons and dragged them down into the depths in a brutal melee. Idoneth won decisively model count-wise, but the game came down to close objectives until the bottom of the third turn.

Despite the grand victory, I took on my opponent's Khorne mortals and was soundly defeated after foolishly going for the all out charge. That counter punch!!!

Yeah, that all charge flubbed pretty hard and got obliterated lol.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #654 on: June 11, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
It can be hard to resist that urge to purge in objective games, but hey now you know what they can do :)

the Kastelan are nice to paint, surprising amount of detail when you take a close look at them. It's sounding like they will also be a really interesting option for 9th ed as well.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #655 on: June 19, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »
Mechanicus, assemble!

Getting back into the swing of things! Just testing some vallejo mecha paints!

Painting more thralls! Some of them I acquired in a trade, which you can see from their different scheme.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:17:35 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #656 on: June 21, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »
nice, the thralls carry slaanesh's taint on their skin :)

The Turquoise looks interesting, I wonder how it would go with a blue glaze or wash.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #657 on: June 21, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
Thanks, Mage  ;D!

Yes, the Namarti Twin-Souls are as tainted or possibly more so, than the rest of their kin! Though they loathe to admit it ;).

A good point about the turquoise. It's supposed to be metallic green, but it naturally comes out that color.

I will give it a wash of Drakenhof and report back.

As for updates:

- Ordered the Lumineth Realm Lords Starter Box.

- Secret Weapon Miniatures wash set is on the way!!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #658 on: June 26, 2020, 08:14:36 PM »
A different high pigment density wash for about every shade of color  :D.

So, with Covid rising here in the USA... will probably consider Nashcon as dead on arrival for myself personally. So I'm slowing down the games... and the Lumineth box should be here sometime next week hopefully. So you'll know what I'll be painting!

Some of you may want to check back sometime this weekend, cause it's time to hone the skills in the Way of the Brush! Will be looking to paint something this weekend, not sure what though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:16:00 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #659 on: June 27, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
What a haul!  :) now you're gonna get so serious painting done. Let me know how well that brand works.